PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference between olive oil and extra virgin olive oil?

searchdog
07-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Subject pretty much says it all. I need to know which one to get to use for things for DD. Thanks

m448
07-20-2005, 05:19 PM
extra virgin means it's the first oil pressed out of the olives. It's usually darker, and stronger in taste - also the best for health properties when used without heating.

Olive oil could mean anything pressed at any time.

kath68
07-20-2005, 05:20 PM
Someone else might know more, but as I understand it, extra virgin is the first press, so it is more pure.

People use it more for dishes where they don't cook it, because the flavor is more delicate. If you are cooking, regular olive oil is fine, unless you are cooking at really high temperatures (frying), in which case you would use light olive oil, because it is less likely to smoke/burn.

Marisa6826
07-20-2005, 05:29 PM
EVO is from the first press of the olives. It's lighter in flavour, less acidic, usually more expensive and shouldn't be used to saute/fry food (it's a waste of money) - you would generally use EVO for salad dressing, to top pasta or veggies, etc.

Regular VO or OO is from subsequent pressings and has a less delicate flavour, is more acidic, therefore cheaper.

That being said, I usually only have EVO on hand and just use that for all my cooking. I have had more 'boutique' EVO to use raw - MUCH more expensive, but much more tasty, but am currently out of it.

Here's more info: http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/how_to/food_dictionary/search?query=olive+oil&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=submit

-m