PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to do to get ready for pregnancy #2?

LBW
07-21-2005, 11:53 AM
Hi all,

DH and I are thinking about getting ready to try to get pregnant with our second child. (Actually, I'm done thinking, and am just waiting for DH to be 100% on board!) DS was unplanned -- I was on the pill -- so I'm not sure what I should be doing in the weeks or months leading up to this second pregnancy to prepare. I have a visit with my OB scheduled for next week to remove a Mirena IUD, so I'll chat with her about it and probably start taking prenatals. Should I also take extra folic acid? Any other vitamins/minerals? If I start the vitamins/folic acid now, is there an ideal amount of time to wait before conceiving?

I've been working on losing weight and have lost about 20 lbs in the last few months. So, I weigh less than I did with my first. I'm hoping that'll help ease the severe hip/back/leg pain I had. I'm also starting a yoga class tonight. If I do get pregnant soon, I'll consider switching to a prenatal class.

It's so ridiculous to me that I have a child but don't really know anything about preparing for a pregnancy!

Thanks in advance!

Tara

JTsMom
07-21-2005, 12:01 PM
I can answer the folic acid question- you need to take it for at least 3 months for it to build up in your system. PNVs should have enough in them.

Good luck!

Puddy73
07-21-2005, 12:07 PM
It sounds like you are doing everything right. You are much more prepared for #2 than I was! As the pp, suggested, start taking prenatal vitamins with folic acid. Also, make sure that YOUR vaccinations are current. My OB suggested a tetnus booster if it has been more than 10 years, plus the chicken pox and hepatitis vaccine (if you haven't already had them).

Jennifer
Mommy to Annabelle 9/03 & a little pumpkin due 10/05

"Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."

pb&j
07-21-2005, 12:13 PM
Start taking prenatals now. It's generally recommended that you start folic acid 3 mos. prior to pregnancy. My OB recommends that all his patients take more folic acid than the RDA. My stillborn daughter had some defects that may or may not be linked to folic acid deficiency, so I was on 4,000mcg daily after she was born. Apparently, approximately a third of Caucasian women have trouble absorbing folic acid, and the RDA of 400 or 800mcg isn't enough to overcome this. I was on 800mcg of folic acid (in my prenatal) before I conceived my daughter.

My OB says that the extra FA won't hurt - it is a water soluble vitamin, and your body will pee out what it can't use. Make sure that when you're taking FA, that you also get enough B12, as extra FA can mask B12 deficiency, which is very dangerous.

About yoga - I did yoga regularly before I got pg, and then went to my regular ashtanga class until about 10 weeks or so. I just didn't do inversions (headstands, shoulder stands), and I took it pretty easy - resting in child's pose more than I would normally. If you're doing a beginner's hatha yoga class, you'll definitely be able to continue that while pg, with very few modifications.

HTH, and happy TTC!

ETA: I second what the PP said about vaccinations. Make sure you're up to date on your rubella - if you do need to get the vaccine, you need to get it 3 months prior to ttc.

-Paige,
mom to Emma, s/b 11/04/04
and Max, edd 01/15/06 - it's a BOY!

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

amp
07-21-2005, 01:40 PM
Prenatals should have enough folic acid in them, and it probably is a good thing if you start taking them early. I didn't really do much to prepare either time, even though we planned it, so I can't offer much.

geochick
07-21-2005, 10:00 PM
I'd go to the dentist too - make sure you get all of your dental work out of the way before conceiving.