PDA

View Full Version : Do "Lost Pet" signs ever work?

kthomp
07-21-2005, 09:22 PM
One of my grandparent's cats is missing. She's been an outdoor cat for a few months now, and she always comes home when called. Well, it's been over two days and she still hasn't come home. My grandmother is heartbroken thinking she'll never come back. My DD is really attached to this cat too. She likes to stand with my grandmother on the porch and yell "Come in Soapie" (cat's name is Sophie) and when she plays in the yard she'll always look for her. Sophie always lets Ally play with her, and I'm sure you all know that two year olds are not always the most careful around animals. ;)

I'm bummed. She's a really sweet cat. She's pretty small, so I don't think she would have been able to defend herself very well. I'm hoping maybe someone saw her and took her in, or that she's hiding somewhere and she'll just come back.

So to my question. Have you ever known of an animal being found as a result of a lost poster? I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance. I hope that if someone found her they'd be decent enough to return her, but I'm not so sure about people anymore. :(

kath68
07-21-2005, 09:29 PM
Absolutely. I have returned dogs that way. DH and I (pre DS) took in more than our share of wandering animals. If they had tags, we taxied them home, and we have posted found signs, too. It breaks my heart to see pets wandering along on very busy and dangerous streets.

Cats are a little harder -- they wander more by nature, so people are less inclined to take them in. But someone might recognize the cat, so it is certainly worth a try.

goodnightmoon
07-21-2005, 09:35 PM
I agree with the PP. DH and I have found one dog and two cats before and the first thing we do is look for lost posters. Your grandmother should definitely put them up and should also call all local vets and shelters to ask if the cat was dropped off. I really hope she finds her.

Laura
mommy to Eva Marie 2/16/05

tiapam
07-21-2005, 10:18 PM
You might try posting at:

http://www.missingpet.net/

If someone took the cat in, they are probably an animal lover and they might know about this website. Also, maybe you could post it on craigslist.org

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004

DebbieJ
07-21-2005, 10:20 PM
We once took in a lost cat. We posted FOUND posters all over our neighborhood and the owner called us a few days later.

So it does work!

I hope that Sophie is found.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

lukkykatt
07-21-2005, 11:31 PM
A few years back, our cat was lost - we posted signs and got quite a few calls. I would definitely do it. We also had read that you get a better response if you put that you will give a reward, fyi.

We did get our cat back, and I hope that "Soapie" is found soon too!

buddyleebaby
07-22-2005, 09:18 AM
My dad got his lost parrot back by posting in the local paper.
Good luck!

lizamann
07-22-2005, 11:44 AM
Yes yes yes! We got back our kitty when she escaped through a hole in the screen. She had wandered up to the neighbors, who decided to "adopt" her and even took her to the vet for her shots, expecting to keep her. They worked fast - she was gone only about 12 hours total. When they saw the sign they brought her back, even though they had already done all that work.

NEVE and TRISTAN
07-22-2005, 12:16 PM
I use to think everyone put that and that it has no influence but have found that it does very much!!!!!

We had our local spca broken into a few years ago (I am on it's board) the people stole two "family dogs" that were large enough to use as bait in dog fighting/training.

we got them back (one later died due to the pit bull bites from fighting) BUT we got the dog back because some witness to the dog fights saw on TV that I said the dog needed medication!!!!!
Weird that he can watch dogs bite eachother to death but had a sore spot for a dog needing medication. but he said due to that is why he contacted us and told us where the dogs were.

YES- animal are found due to posters!!!!
Also make the posters where they will not be damaged from the elements. I see so many posters up but you can't read them. They have to beable to be seen from a car to. In my neighborhood many hang them from stop signs and you would have to stop your car get out and read it to see the specifics.

I hope they find her!!!!
Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

dr mom
07-22-2005, 02:56 PM
A few weeks ago I found a small dog with matted fur and no collar wandering around our neighborhood, so I brought her home until we could locate the owner. The dog was a purebred Shiba Inu in good condition so I knew someone had to be looking for her, and I drove all over our neighborhood and up to the nearest shopping center looking for signs, but couldn't find any.

I made up FOUND DOG signs and posted them, and within 24 hours the owner called to claim his dog.

What I can't figure out is that apparently she was an expensive show dog, who had run away from home *5 days beforehand* and the owner hadn't bothered to put up a single sign in all that time. If he had, she'd have been home that much sooner. (if no one called to claim her that day I was going to have our vet scan her to look for a microchip)

So, I think signs work, even though it was my sign and not the owner's that eventually got her back home. Definitely put up signs with photographs, alert the neighbors that she is missing, take a photo to the animal shelter, call any nearby veterinarians, and consider offering a cash reward. I hope she is safely home soon!