PDA

View Full Version : Need napping advice

almostamom
07-25-2005, 04:00 PM
I've created a monster and it's all my fault. DS has never been a great napper unless he was in his swing or we napped together on my bed. He can sleep 1-2+ hours there, but in the PNP his naps are not even 20 minutes. He sleeps fine in his crib at night. DH feeds him, rocks him, and puts him in the crib awake and DS puts himself to sleep -- no problem there.

The problem is that he'll be outgrowing the swing soon and I don't really need the naps anymore. I'd like to use his naptime to be productive around the house. I haven't been having him nap in his crib because we don't cool down that part of the house as much during the day (trying to conserve energy and $$). We have 2 a/c units and a split floorplan and can still cool the other half of the house. Should we just suck up the extra cost and duplicate the nighttime routine at naptime? Any ideas for getting him to nap in the PNP? I've tried rocking him and putting him in the PNP when he's pretty sleepy, but as soon as I lay him down he's wide awake again. Any advice is GREATLY appreciated!!

TIA,
~Linda~
DS 11/04

s7714
07-25-2005, 04:06 PM
Do you think the difference in sleeping in the PNP vs. crib could be because of light levels or noise? If that could be the case, maybe you could try adjusting those factors in the area where the PNP is to see if it makes a difference. My DD has a hard time going to sleep on her own if there's much light in her room. I think it's a daytime=playtime philosophy or something! ;)

Otherwise, if I was you, I'd probably just turn on that a/c and put him in his crib. Even if you don't need a nap, he does (and you need the "down" time no matter what you plan to do with it!)

Good luck!
Jennifer
Mommy to
Annalia 3/03
Sophia 6/05

TahliasMom
07-25-2005, 04:32 PM
If you don't mind CIO and at this point, IMO, you might not have a choice, I recommend a great sleep book that we use by Dr. Weissbluth
Happy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child.

At 8 months a baby is capable of soothing his or herself, but you'll have to give her or him a chance. The rocking to sleep tends to become more of a stimulation than a soothing act. I strongly suggest establishing a consistant napping routine, same room, same time, in a quiet maybe darkened room with some soothing music. And letting your DS sooth himself to sleep. use a transitional object, blanket, stuffed animal, etc. and that may mean that you have to cool that part of the house down. bottome line, babies thrive on routine...

feel free to email me with any questions at kbraun 75 @ yahoo com

thomma
07-25-2005, 06:28 PM
I think it's great you're doing something about this now. It took me until 13 months to do something with ds. He also went to bed well at night but naps were a different story. He was an awful napper until I let him CIO in his crib for naps at 13 months. It took a week but, for us, it was the best thing to do.

Have you tried another source of white noise when using the PNP? Like a fan? I say this because my kids had never slept in a PNP until they started daycare at 15 months. I honestly thought they would never nap in one. But they nap great for her...she uses a fan for white noise.

If that won't work for you, I'd use his crib. Once he starts napping well, you'll love your
"ME" time :)!

good luck-
Kim
t&e 5/03

almostamom
07-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the advice, mamas! Of course, we'll be out all day tomorrow, but I'm certainly going to start trying some of your suggestions on Wednesday! You are so sweet to take the time to help me out.

Hugs,
~Linda~
DS 11/04