PDA

View Full Version : TRU changing return policy

Hippoharbor
07-26-2005, 08:01 AM
I was just in my local TRU and they had signs posted saying that, beginning in Sep, they will no longer accept returns without receipts. I am quite bummed about this b/c, even though I am careful with my receipts, I still will sometimes lose them. I also feel for the people who are trying to return unwanted gifts w/o a gift receipt. I did a lot of that after my baby showers.

It is too bad that they don't use the technology that target does (i.e. can look up previous purchase if they swipe the credit card that was used to purchase the item).

Michelle

schums
07-26-2005, 08:50 AM
I think we should start an e-mail deluge to corporate politely demanding this feature. If Target can do it, so can every other store. I understand why all these stores are going to a "no receipt, no return" policy (even tho it's a complete PITA), but how about a LITTLE customer service. If Target can get a system in place to help out the legit customers, why can't TRU/BRU? Maybe if we all ask a thousand times, they'll put it in place!

Just a thought,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

scout123
07-26-2005, 11:56 AM
I registered there thinking I could exchange items that I recieved in multiples. Do you know if they will still let people exchange?
Angie

hez
07-26-2005, 12:36 PM
Blech. If they don't have something in place with swiping the credit card or allowing exchanges, I can see a lot of re-gifting that's going to happen :)

Sounds like I should be making copies of gift receipts in case the frazzled new parents lose theirs and need to make an exchange!

kensjen
07-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Yes, that does make it bad for baby gifts or birthday gifts. I understand that they have a lot of people who take advantage of them, but it makes it so hard for us legit mamas!

Not sure how the target system would help in the case of gifts...I wouldn't have their cc. But it would be nice for my own purchases.

It seems like there has to be a way to code the actual product...like using the sticker system that nordstrom's uses. That makes it so easy for the receiver of gifts.

jennifer_r
07-26-2005, 01:52 PM
That's a shame! Does it also hold true for gifts that were bought off a baby shower registry but don't come accompanied by a receipt? If it does, then that will turn off lots of moms.

Jennifer

Mom to:
Christopher 12/29/89
Adelaide 8/23/04
And another DD arriving end of October!

jamsmu
07-26-2005, 01:57 PM
That's a complete turn-off!! TRU is a huge place to shop for birthday presents... way to ruin a kid's day... "Sorry, DC, I know you have 4 Candyland games, but the store says we have to keep them." WTH? I always end up spending more when I take something back for a credit and then buy something else.

Looks like they'll be losing my money... no reason for me to shop there and complicate and frustrate others' lives!

Hippoharbor
07-26-2005, 03:34 PM
THe sign said no returns or exchanges without a receipt. I was back at TRU today and questioned them on this new policy, explaining how difficult it will be to do returns/exchanges if people do not include gift receipts. She just said that they are stressing to their customers to give the gift receipt with their gift. Good luck on that one!!
Michelle

Hippoharbor
07-26-2005, 03:35 PM
That is a great idea. Do you think that they would accept a copy of a receipt?

Hippoharbor
07-26-2005, 03:37 PM
I definitely agree. THis new policy angers me and I think I will try to do more of my shopping elsewhere.

murpheyblue
07-26-2005, 04:04 PM
It amazes me that as technology progresses that a company can make return/exchange policies more restrictive. At the very least, you would certainly think they could extend a more genrous policy to people who register with them.

randomkid
07-26-2005, 06:10 PM
Oh Nooooooo!!! I hope BRU doesn't adopt this same policy. I'm still returning things that were shower gifts that I just never needed and DD is 6 months old! Guess I'd better do all my returns now just in case!

hez
07-26-2005, 09:04 PM
No idea. Now that I think about it, don't most policies say 'original receipt'?

Maybe I'll just try to think to ask for two copies of the gift receipt at the register instead :)

s7714
07-27-2005, 12:27 AM
Ugh. Guess that means I won't be able to return some of the um...funky? clothes my MIL gets from there on occassion? Oh well, more clothes for the donation pile then.

Jennifer
Mommy to
Annalia 3/03
Sophia 6/05

jasmine
07-27-2005, 02:55 AM
That is going to be horrible. If they are implementing the no return policy without a receipt, they better fix their transaction program. One of my worst experiences at TRU recently had to do with trying to get a gift receipt for something I had purchased. I waited in line for 10 minutes (only 1 cashier) and I had asked for a gift receipt. Well she rang everything up and no gift receipt. It turns out she had forgotten to request it at the beginning and there was no way for her to get it printed out after the fact. Since there was a long line behind me, she told me I had to go to the customer service desk so they could void the transaction and start over :-(. Well, I went to the CS desk, waited another 10 minutes and the CS person told me I had to go back to the cashier who did the transaction to have it voided. What!!! I finally gave up and walked away without the gift receipt.

I know people abuse the current return policy (I've heard horror stories from employees who have said that people return used diaper genies with the diapers still inside, yech!!), so that is probably why they are implementing the change. I just wish they could do some sort of a compromise rather than going from one extreme (accepting everything) to the other (accepting no returns w/o a receipt).

jamsmu
07-27-2005, 07:40 AM
no kidding... I asked for a gift receipt last week when buying a b-day gift and the girl forgot, so it was too late.

Plus, with ILs like mine... oh... it'll just never happen!!

August Mom
07-27-2005, 07:42 AM
I agree. Why go from one extreme to the other. You shouldn't be able to return a used product unless it's defective. That's the policy of most stores. So, no returned Diaper Genies. Yuck! But, not being able to return other items - that the store carries - without a receipt is going to be a big pain, especially when trying to return gifts. I feel like I'm the only one who ever gives a gift receipt. I very seldom get one for anything.

I'm curious whether this new policy will actually be enforced. For example, Wal-Mart has this same stated new policy but will still take things back without a receipt IME.

ETA: ITA about the transaction issue. This happened to me too, without the CS aspect.

hellokitty1
07-27-2005, 10:16 AM
>no kidding... I asked for a gift receipt last week when
>buying a b-day gift and the girl forgot, so it was too late.
>
Isn't that annoying? that happened to me as well. At TRU, if they don't ring up the gift receipt at the intial sale, they cannot get one after the fact. They have to re-do the whole transaction.

Talk about low tech.