PDA

View Full Version : Uggghhh...it's so hot. What to do?

alkagift
07-26-2005, 12:11 PM
What are you doing with your DC for exercise when it's way too hot to go outdoors for any length of time? I'm running out of ideas and it's 95 here today with a heat index (including the humidity) of 106F. Heck, even I don't want to be outside!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO!

beckyr88
07-26-2005, 12:13 PM
I have no idea!! Just wanted to commisserate, we've been holed up for what seems like weeks!!

We've gone to the ILs a few times, but otherwise we're bored silly. Good luck and hope this heat passes soon!!

DebbieJ
07-26-2005, 12:16 PM
Set up the baby pool outside, put an umbrella over it (I have a big beach umbrella that I stick into the ground), and sit in it with him!

Go to the mall and play in the play area.

Go to Home Depot and dream about paint colors.

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

aliceinwonderland
07-26-2005, 12:49 PM
My apt. is not air conditioned, and I am in a freezing office, but DH has been taking DS to museums the past two days in part to escape the heat. They have lunch there and everything.

kensjen
07-26-2005, 01:46 PM
The play area at the mall
Swimming...our neighbors have a pool, or the baby pool on the deck
Borders...Jonah loves to look at books and they also have a train table
Out to lunch...and ice cream
Library

Ugh, it is HOT!

heidis2girls
07-26-2005, 01:53 PM
We're in MA and it's raging hot here, too! 95 degrees. I set up the sprinkler for my girls, but they weren't interested in running through it for some reason! Right now they are on the deck shielded by umbrellas playing in their Little Tikes sand/water table. There is only water in it - and bubbles! They have some My Little Ponies and Polly Pockets (the McDonalds versions) and are having a blast!

Do you have a large tupperware container that you can fill with water and bubble bath? If you have an umbrella at least it would keep Matthew a little bit cool! Good luck!

kristine_elen
07-26-2005, 02:04 PM
Both our mall and library have great play areas, so we go there and he can run around. We have a pool membership, but sometimes it's even too hot for that.

We also have an indoor playgroup that meets once a week (a co-op thing) that is indoors on heat-advisory days. Maybe something like that, or Gymboree, would be good?

Momof3Labs
07-26-2005, 02:14 PM
Mall, library, Bass Pro Shop. Not above Chuck E. Cheese's either when we are desperate - we go early when it is empty, and a pocket of "pennies" keeps Colin entertained for quite a while!

lisams
07-26-2005, 04:09 PM
This summer DD has really enjoyed an activity I put together. I got one of those long plastic tubs (the kind you use to store stuff in under your bed) and filled it up with dried beans. DD loves playing in it, this week she's pretended it's a pool for her little doll house dolls, last week she was "cooking" with it. I keep a good eye on her while she's playing with it, though, because she has a tendancy to get a little wild with things like this. It's kind of like our alternative to a sandbox since it's like 114 degrees outside!

Summer is so hard, we do lots of swimming and water play when it's not too hot. Having to stay inside so much is so hard on toddlers!

hjdong
07-26-2005, 05:41 PM
Swmimming, swimming, and more swimming, usually early in the morning before it gets too hot. We don't have a pool so it's either swim classes, early rising friend's houses, or our hot tub which we keep cool in the summer.

Chick-fil-A. He loves them. How did I ever survive before they arrived on our coast?

A lot of inside play in the middle of the day when it really is just to hot to go outside, whether it's at home, a friend's house, a museum, Chick-Fil-A, the library. I haven't quite gotten desperate enough to go to Chuck E. Cheese - yet. I try to get together with other kids because it definately wears him out more if he is with other kids rather than just me.

Then, an hour before bedtime, after dinner, when it's cooled down enough, I take him to the park, so he can burn off some more energy so he'll go to sleep easily.

HTH,

zuzu
07-26-2005, 08:14 PM
It has been brutal here too.

Swimming or the splash park
Museums
Mall play areas or big, fun stores like IKEA

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

lynettefrancois
07-26-2005, 08:15 PM
1. I joined the YMCA- they have free childcare and DD has a GREAT time with the other kids. I work out (lightly, lol) while she plays. They also have an indoor and outdoor pool, which I plan to take her swimming in soon (she's had a yeast rash forever, so long swimming sessions are out).
2. Go to lunch at Chick-fil-a.
3. Play at the indoor play area in the Mall- I highly recommend if you can find one! I have to drive 30 minutes but it's worth it for us, there are no little kids in our neighborhood at all.
4. Let her run around in the toy section of Wal-Mart or Target for a half hour.
5. I am going to try the bookstore or library again- last several times we went she tried to unshelve all the books again.... :P