PDA

View Full Version : Strangers taking pics of DC... WWYD?

bluestar2
08-01-2005, 06:09 AM
deleted...

jd11365
08-01-2005, 07:00 AM
Uncomfortable. Some young guy and his girlfriend were at the petting zoo one day, and thought Kayla was adorable and being funny with the animals...which she was. He started snapping digitals and the two of them would look and laugh at how cute and funny she was being. It was making me feel uncomfortable. They didn't seem malicious, but I didn't like it, so I kept walking Kayla the other way. I definitely understand how creepy it can feel though.

kristine_elen
08-01-2005, 08:07 AM
I think that legally they can do it, but if it makes you uncomfortable, then you have every right to say something. Maybe just a, "I'd prefer it if you not take pictures of my children. Thanks for understanding." would do it.

JLiebCamm
08-01-2005, 08:32 AM
That would definitely make me uncomfortable but I do think it's more of a matter of bad manners than anything that can be addressed legally. I remember being at a market in Philly where a college photography class had met and were assigned to capture pics of people at the market. There was a pair of Muslim women in full garb who became quite angry at having been photographed and yelled at the prof. If I were you I would just express my feelings on the matter to the photographer and hope that they respect your wishes.

icunurse
08-01-2005, 09:40 AM
While, most likely, she was just taking the pics because the kids looked adorable, it would creep me out a bit. I'm a little sensitive to that stuff - there's a mom at my Gymboree class who always brings one or more family members to the class and they ALWAYS either video or take random pics. Makes me uncomfortable to see her taping my son and not the child they are with (switched class days because of it). The one time I took my camera to class, my son was doing something cute next to a little girl and I asked her mom if I could grab a pic. Someone should always ask before snapping your child's picture, especially in today's world. I would have either asked her to stop or moved in front of her angle :)
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!

Judegirl
08-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Okay, I'll admit it...I would completely FREAK out. In a finer moment, I would step in front of my kid and say something akin to "Excuse me, but what the hell do you think you're doing?"

In another moment, though, I'd be pretty belligerent over it; I could see myself pulling a Sean Penn over soemthing like this.

Geez. What on earth is happening to the conception of privacy and ownership of one's likeness? Holy cow.

Jude

ETA: LOL - I just asked dh what he would do if he were out with Riordan and a stranger began taking pictures of her. He (unlike me, a pacifist through and through) said: "What?? Well, I'd - no, I don't think I'd confiscate the camera, unless the situation warranted it. But they'd stop, immediately." ROFL. I hadn't even thought of taking the camera.

darby24
08-01-2005, 09:31 PM
This happened often to twin boys I used to watch. It was around age 4 that the situations peaked, they weren't identical (but looked it) and they had cute long blonde hair that clinched the deal.

Their mom said it happened a number of times and it happened twice while I was with them. Both times were tourists who couldn't speak English, one time a lady even went down to the edge of the beach and stood with them! The happily smiled and waved at the camera. :P Bunch of hams.

While I did think it was odd, they didn't do anything to hurt the children (or put them in any compromising position) and the mom was fine with it. So what could I do? Nothing.

I've taken photography courses in the past and yup, there is nothing legally you can do. When it happens on property (like the zoo) you can complain to the staff, but if it's on public property there is nothing you can do. Saying something to the photographer will make them stop for sure. They'll probably get all defensive, but you gotta do what you gotta do!

mamamayi
08-02-2005, 01:46 AM
I have to admit I'm guilty of this one. I have asked before, but I know there have been times when I haven't asked. It's just like the situation presents itself, my camera is available, and I am someone who loves photography. It never occurred to me that people would get creeped out or angry about this. I guess I figured it would be flattering. I'll be remembering to ask next time...

kijip
08-02-2005, 03:50 AM
Just FYI- they need to get your pernission unless your twns are public figures. So unless they are the Olsen twins, the photo snappers need to ask you. I will tell them that they don't have your permission and to please stop.

Marcy_O
08-02-2005, 08:36 AM
I'm probably in the same ballpark as Judegirl...I'd, on a good day, most likely ask them why they were taking a photo of my child? With a really intimidating and interrogating look on my face. I don't blame you for being uncomfortable. Not with all the crazies around. We've had two little girls get killed in the last few months here in small towns. And one of the killers has not been found. I would be very uncomfortable. I don't mean to sound like a chicken little, and I'm sure that 90% of the people mean no harm by it, but it's that 10% that you have to worry about...