PDA

View Full Version : Anybody's DC drop naps really young?

crayonblue
08-02-2005, 01:12 PM
I am seriously about to go crazy. For the past week, Lauren hasn't taken a daytime nap. I've tried changing the time but it isn't doing any good. No matter what time I put her down for a nap, she will not go to sleep. I've let her cry for an hour and then I go get her. Should I let her cry longer? This is killing me! She is exhausted but nothing is working. I read to her, rock her, sing to her and then put her in her crib. She pops up and starts crying. I've tried getting her to sleep before going into the crib. That doesn't work either- she pops up the second her head hits the mattress.

Please don't tell me my 20 month old is done with naps! Oh, and she has stopped sleeping through the night too. She wakes 2-3 times per night. Last night we let her cry for 1 hour and 40 minutes at 2 am. DH is dead tired, I'm dead tired and really losing my patience.

Just wondering if this is totally out of the ordinary to stop napping this young and if I should continue fighting it or if she is just done with naps.

ETA: I don't think this is teething.

mamicka
08-02-2005, 01:26 PM
This seems to be pretty common at this age. DS went through it as well, although maybe not so bad. We went through a period (months) of letting him nap on the floor in his room. I would have to lie with him until he was asleep which was kind-of a pain. But it worked. Now he sleeps in his bed & falls asleep on his own. This *may* be her way of telling you that she's ready for a big-girl bed. Just a thought.

Good luck! I know it's tiring.

Allison

alkagift
08-02-2005, 01:50 PM
DS went through this as a phase at about the same age...honestly it went on for about a week until he got through it. I don't think it's teething either, but I do think it's a lack of sleep. I totally believe in the "sleep begets sleep" rule since it has always proven true at our house. No, I wouldn't let her cry any more than an hour--it just winds her up more and makes you crazy too.

The only thing that got us back on track was a SUPER early bedtime. Like 5:30 or 6:00. Add to that lots of slow, wind-down time--some easy going DVDs or story time, a bath, a little massage, some rocking, whatever. It bummed DH, since he only got to see DS for about an hour before he went to bed, but it eventually worked in that DS caught up on his sleep and was better able to wind easily down for naps the next day, instead of being an over tired, live wire pain in the behind! Big hugs to you guys while you sort this out!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO!

Are you TTC and want to share with BBB friends? Join us! http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB_TTC/

TraciG
08-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Sydney actually went through something strange about a month ago, when she was 20 months, it started that she got hysterical in the middle of the night, like she was afraid ( who know's ) she would ONLY go back to sleep on my lap in the glider but if I put her in the crib to soon she'd wake up, stand up & be hysterical again so she'd end up in my bed ( haven't done that since she was an infant ! )Then it happened with naps, had to rock her to sleep or lay her on floor in her room, she'd keep looking to make sure I was there, thank God she's back to her old self, it lasted about 2 weeks & once in a while here & there, I think it's a phase, so HOPEFULLY she'll nap again soon, but the earlier bedtime is a good idea, anyway she'll need it without sleeping in the day, she must be very tired .

I called Sydney's pediatrician about it, I couldn't belive that Sydney acted so different about going to sleep so suddenly, doc said to basically do Ferber again like when she was an infant, it was HARD , I couldn't do it, I really felt like she was afraid & I really think Sydney would rather be inher crib then in my bed so I got lucky .

GOOD LUCK

GO TO BED EARLY yourself !

crayonblue
08-02-2005, 03:50 PM
Ok, I feel much better. Today after Lauren cried for an hour, I went in and she immediately fell asleep on me in the glider. I sat there for 1 1/2 hours while she slept. I am sore from sitting still but Lauren is well-rested and happy so at least it is a start. I truly hope this is a stage and will pass!

I hadn't thought of letting her sleep on the floor. I hate to start something I don't want to continue, but if this continues, I might try it (at least to avoid the hour long crying sessions that are seriously sending me over the edge!)

mamicka
08-02-2005, 04:12 PM
I know what you mean about starting something that you know you don't want to continue - but napping on the floor really worked for us & made it really easy for DS to nap when not at home. & he transitioned to napping in his big-boy bed no problem.

Congrats on getting her to nap today! This too shall pass.

Allison