PDA

View Full Version : OT: How do you find a good hair salon/stylist?

Karenn
08-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Any ideas besides word of mouth? I've lived in this town for 7 years and have yet to find a decent hair salon! Everyone recommends two really pricey salons in town. I've been to both, and they are both great, but my hair is not that hard to cut and I'd like to save a little money if I can. When I've ventured out to less expensive salons on my own, I've ended up in dirty salons with mediocre hair cuts. Do I just have to resign myself to paying top dollar for a decent haircut?

Calmegja2
08-02-2005, 04:56 PM
You gather up all your courage, and compliment women with fabulous hair, then ask them who they see.

We've moved all over, and this has always worked for me.

I have very high maintenance hair, so when we move, this stresses me out. LOL!

tina-t
08-02-2005, 06:17 PM
I've tried to ask around at work or friends. However, that does not always work as somebody's recommendation did not work out well for me. I ended up in a pricier salon which was reviewed by a local magazine. They were given good marks. When I first called to make an appointment, it was the owner who answered the phone and he recommended the hair dresser. I just decided to suck it up and pay up, as I am so tired of mediocre and sometimes, uneven haircuts.

Good luck. I know how stressful this can be even though this is "just a haircut", as my dh said once.

ellies mom
08-03-2005, 12:48 AM
I totally know how you feel. I had the same stylist in Ca for 12 years. I loved her. We've been in the Portland area for 5 1/2 years and I have more bad experiences, including when I was 7 months pregnant (not pretty). If I find someone I really like (twice now) they either move or stop cutting hair. I do have difficult hair to color so I'm willing to cut some slack on the first visit, but my hair cut requests are pretty simple, so I don't understand what the big problem is. Some of these bad cuts (and over-charging) have been at the pricey places so I get no luck.

emelsea
08-03-2005, 09:10 AM
Here is what I do: I go to church and look at everyone's hair. I ask the women who look the best where they go.

You could do the same thing in the supermarket or the movies or wherever you see someone who has a nice haircut.

Call the pricey salons and ask if prices are different for different stylists. Sometimes the cost is lower for newer stylists, but if the salon gets a call from a new client, they will schedule you with a veteran stylist.