PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have T-Moblie phone service?

spanannie
08-03-2005, 01:04 PM
Just curious for opinions...it's $30/mo less and we'd get 2 free phones. We have Verizon right now, and are happy. I just wouldn't mind the savings, if the service is ok.

Thanks!

jerseygirl07067
08-03-2005, 01:07 PM
Yes, I have it and it's pretty good. Once in a while it will drop a call, and it's not as good as Verizon, which is the best in my area, but overall I'm pretty happy with T-Mobile.

You can go on their website and enter your zip code and it will pull up a detailed map of coverage. I have the prepaid plan which is by far the cheapest since I'm on a tight budget and use my phone for occasional use only or emergencies.

HTH a bit.

Marcy

jerseygirl07067
08-03-2005, 01:07 PM
oops

knaidel
08-03-2005, 01:16 PM
We use T-Mobile and haven't had any problems. We re like Marcy- not really using the cell so much anyway, but no issues when we do use it.
Also, you can check Consumer Reports. Within the past year or so, they did a comparison of different wireless companies in major maetro areas. You can see how it compares to Verizon your area.

schums
08-03-2005, 01:17 PM
I've heard T-mobile is OK, but I'm not brave enough to try it. They are only a digital provider, which means that when you get out of the major metro areas (where this is only analog coverage, which is a HUGE part of this country), you have NO coverage. We travel enough by car that it is important to me to have reliable coverage in the largest segment of at least the midwest that we can.

HTH,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

schums
08-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Oops, double post

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

spanannie
08-03-2005, 01:35 PM
Oh, I didn't know about it being only digital...that would probably be an issue with my husband. Thanks!

buddyleebaby
08-03-2005, 01:38 PM
In my house, it works great. In my sister's (3 miles away) it doesn't work at all.

kransden
08-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Ok, I am the queen of the cell phone according to my dh :) I talk over 1000 minutes every month. I use T-Mobile and am very happy with it. We have used it for about 4 years. It is a digital network, but it works everywhere it says it does. Check the map online. Most of the time other cell phones don't work there either. (Like Limon, CO in a blizzard :( ) Usually I have to be in a very rural area to not get reception.

If you have poor reception in a house etc. it might be your phone, not the service. Free/cheap phones often aren't as powerful as the more expensive ones. They have antenna boosters that you can buy cheaply to fix that.

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

saschalicks
08-03-2005, 02:19 PM
DH & I have been T-Mobile since it started. We've been to Hawaii and still got service. I love it and have no complaints. When we had problems it turned out to be the phone NOT the service. I do agree w/PP about the free phones aren't always as good. HTH

kensjen
08-03-2005, 03:51 PM
We had Tmobile for almost 2 years, and just recently switched to Verizon. I guess I didn't realized how bad Tmobile was until we had something better! First of all Tmobile has the worst customer service. Even when we would go into their store at the mall, they were just not helpful, and always trying to get more $$ out of us (high pressure sales type of stuff, yuck!) And then we had a lot of coverage probs. There were a lot of small areas around where we live that we would always have a call dropped, which was annoying. And then it seemed that our phone service was always very spotty whenever we were out of town. I understand it didn't work where my mom lives...I had checked the zip code and it wasn't supposed to work, and she is not near any major city....but we always had problems in Chicago and Vegas. We finally just got tired of it and switched to Verizon. I am much happier, and we only pay $10 more a month, and that is total for 2 phones.

Plus, most everyone we know has verizon so we all can talk free. :) Really check into it before you switch....not sure if I would do it if I were you.

caridura
08-03-2005, 05:18 PM
I have T-Mobile and really have no complaints. BUT, it really does depend on where you live and the coverage for THAT area. I would ask around and see what your friends/neighbors have. My parents have T-Mobile and have problems with dropped calls in their town. The coverage in that area is not good for them (smaller town). I've never had a dropped call and during the hurricanes last year my phone worked the whole time while DH's and everyone else's did not.

anamika
08-03-2005, 06:46 PM
Ohhh, I'm so with you on the CS. It's the absolute worst. We have T-mobile and the tower is supposed to be a few miles from our house but we *cannot* get service inside our house. We have to walk out or go upstairs to one particular spot to get reception. The T-mobile CS in store or on the phone - no help at all!!! All they can say is "Oh, your phone should work". Yes, this is indeed very helpful to know!
We also invariably drop calls everywhere. No rhyme or reason.
We're planning to switch too but it's rather low on the list of priorities right now with moving and everything!

anamika
08-03-2005, 06:50 PM
Ohhh, I'm so with you on the CS. It's the absolute worst. We have T-mobile and the tower is supposed to be a few miles from our house but we *cannot* get service inside our house. We have to walk out or go upstairs to one particular spot to get reception. The T-mobile CS in store or on the phone - no help at all!!! All they can say is "Oh, your phone should work". Yes, this is indeed very helpful to know!
We also invariably drop calls everywhere. No rhyme or reason.
We're planning to switch too but it's rather low on the list of priorities right now with moving and everything!
Also, I have missed a couple of important messages b'cos we get the message 2-3 days after the call. For eg, my OB called (when I was pregnant) to tell me that my Glucose test results were high and I should go back to retest. I got the message three days later! This has happened to my friends who have T-mobile too. They get messages about meeting for lunch two days after we were supposed to meet!
So long story short - I wouldn't recommend them but they have good deals I think. If you do go with them, make sure the phones work in your house (they keep telling us that it's a problem with the phones - which they sold us BTW)
HTH,

vdrake71
08-03-2005, 08:24 PM
I have T-Mobile and live in the suburbs of Chicago. T-Mobile has one of the best family plans out there (per Consumer Reports). My husband, Mom, and brother are all on one plan. Another benefit is that there is no roaming charges. The only complaint that I have is the dropped calls. I can live with them because I know where my calls dropped.

kristine_elen
08-03-2005, 09:35 PM
My friend has T-Mobile and likes it, but when we looked into it, it didn't have the coverage area we needed. It's got much less coverage than Verizon or Cingular/ATT. This may or may not matter to you depending on your travel habits and where you live.

cmdunn1972
08-04-2005, 01:24 AM
I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile since DH gets a discount through his employer. We can get service through his employer's contact, but I don't normally have to call.

I'm one of those unusual folks who has service issues through Verizon. I had a phone that had a lot of features, such as downloadable ringtones, etc, but I could never seem to get any reception for anything, including calls and txt messages. Also, even after I switched phones (same model) and still had problems, Verizon said they would charge me if I wanted to get a different model of phone (which would likely solve the problem). Eventually, I'd had it and switched to T-Mobile with the employee discount plan as a bonus. I've since had no issues.