PDA

View Full Version : Limiting pacifier use?

Karenn
08-03-2005, 05:04 PM
DD has used a pacifier since she was a few weeks old and I have been so very grateful! It's been a wonderful way to help her sleep! I'm not ready for her to give it up at sleep times, and I doubt she is either. I am however starting to think about limiting its use the rest of the day as she approaches her first birthday. I know a number of people have talked about only using the passy at certain times. Would you mind sharing what your "rules" are for when your DC can and cannot have the passy and at what age you started "enforcing" them? Is it working for you?

I'm also open to hearing reasons for skipping limits now and just dealing with it later...

TIA

erosenst
08-03-2005, 05:11 PM
We started at about 10 months (give or take a month - I have definite "mommy brain"!). She was allowed to have it in her crib, in the car, in the stroller, and "stressful situations" (ie the doctors office!) She quickly learned that she had to hand over the paci to get out of her crib. She now does reach into the crib in her room to get the paci if we're playing in there (not often) but knows it goes back before we leave.

At 18.5 months, she'll still ask for it at other times - but gives up quickly/easily.

heatherlynn
08-03-2005, 05:23 PM
I've started limiting it to naptime and bedtime. When he wakes up, I take it out of his mouth and we "throw" it back in the crib and say "bye, bye, binky." It's so cute - he actually waves to it. I'll also bring it with me if we're in the car when it's naptime. He was sooo attached to that thing that I thought it would be really hard for him to give it up, but it hasn't been bad at all, luckily.

H-
Heather
dd 3/98
ds 8/04
and #3 edd 11/05 (it's a girl!)

kensjen
08-03-2005, 05:56 PM
When my son was around your DD's age...give or take a month, we limited it to sleep times. (and the occasional meltdown, or teething...etc...) He knew he could only have it in the crib. It seemed like a pretty easy transition, as really that was the only time he needed it anyway.
We actually had a pretty easy time weaning him completely, just one very rough night... :)

I think now is a good time to start setting limits with it. It may take a few days, but I bet it won't be too hard. Good luck!

jd11365
08-03-2005, 06:03 PM
Um, is Claire going to turn 1 already? Nuh uh!

We used to be good at limiting the binky to naptimes and bedtime, but somehow meltdowns turned into all the time. Now, at more than two, we started the only for sleep rule. It's been a hard few days. I was annoyed when she would talk with that dumb thing in her mouth, and felt it was unnecessary outside of self-soothing for bedtime. During waking hours, she has her blanky, me, whatever...she doesn't need a "stinky-binky" (as Rashmi would call it :)).

If I were you, I'd hold strong to the sleep time rule, but that's jmo. It's easy to use in the car, for tantrums, whatever. But then you have a two year old trying to talk with the darn thing, and you get frustrated.

HTH!

kath68
08-03-2005, 06:19 PM
We started limiting it just to sleep-time right around 1 year (I think -- I don't remember). It has been an easy transition, to tell the truth. Getting his binky at night is part of his bedtime routine -- he gets it as a reward for tooth-brushing.

He has usually tossed the binky out of the crib (along with everything else) by the time I get to him in the morning, so it is not hard to have him leave the room without it.

I'll give him the binky if I think it will help him cope with teething, tantrum, etc. and occasionally he will happen upon one that was lost some time ago (ick!). But so far, it hasn't been a big deal. We'll see what happens when I take it away for sleeping, too. But I have no plans of doing that any time soon.

Marcy_O
08-03-2005, 06:37 PM
Oh that dreaded sucky...That's what it's called in our house. We try to limit the sucky use only to bedtime, in the car (because Bright doesn't care for his carseat and fusses whenever in it), and when he's getting impatient for feeding. I especially use it now that he's nursing because if I take too long he about rips my nipples off. But I can see us having issues in the future. DH has been pretty good lately about the sucky rules, but it's so tempting!!

BTW, Bright is only 2 months old so we're not real serious about the sucky rules just yet. But we do try to have some limitations on when we use it and we ask ourselves if it's for him or for us (except in the case of him ripping my nipples off, that's DEFINITELY For ME!)

thomma
08-03-2005, 08:13 PM
Around 18-20 months (it all blurs together!) we started limiting binkies to naps and bedtime. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Ds has had to have several surgeries and during those times we gave him unlimited use of the binky. Also during any long (more than an hour) we give them their binkies if they get really cranky and/or we want them to nap.

So now when it's naptime or bedtime, dh or I will say "night night time". Both kids go running for the stairs saying "binkies". :)

We know we should eliminate them soon. We're dreading it!

Kim
t&e 5/03

TahliasMom
08-03-2005, 10:17 PM
dd was never a 24 hour paci fiend. has it for naptimes and bedtime and the car. by 10 months binky was out of the car becaue we simply forgot to take it one day and she was fine. the last few weeks she has been falling asleep in her car seat without one. whohoo!!! since DD is adjusting to daycare, mommy working and the last 4 molars coming in, we're going to work on eliminating the binky for sleep probably in a month or two. and dd does not mind these "rules" she knows to drop the paci before she gets out of the crib. and in no way has the paci impeded her speech. dd has been blabbing nonstop since 6 months!!!

TahliasMom
08-03-2005, 10:18 PM
dd was never a 24 hour paci fiend. has it for naptimes and bedtime and the car. by 10 months binky was out of the car becaue we simply forgot to take it one day and she was fine. the last few weeks she has been falling asleep in her car seat without one. whohoo!!! since DD is adjusting to daycare, mommy working and the last 4 molars coming in, we're going to work on eliminating the binky for sleep probably in a month or two. and dd does not mind these "rules" she knows to drop the paci before she gets out of the crib. and in no way has the paci impeded her speech. dd has been blabbing nonstop since 6 months!!!

ETA: DD was intro to the paci at the hospital against our wishes but down the road it was a life saver. DD had a very strong sucking instinct and it was either the boob or the paci. at first i felt bad but then realized it was a lot easier to take away the paci then the thumb!

ribbit1019
08-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Well I started limiting it to sleep time around 11(ish) mos. For a month I told everyone that watched DD that it was for sleeping only due to her showing less interest. But it was winding up in her mouth at the first sign of any distress, and I am guilty here too!
So, one night when she fell asleep without it that was my inspiration. Mommy threw away all the binkies. G-ma's and Dad were very unhappy with me, however I am glad to see it gone and DD is none the wiser.
IMO (and this is just my opinion!) the longer you wait, the harder it is going to be to get them to give it up. It has been a little over month with no binkie and we are doing very well. Though I know how hard it is to give that little soothie a rest. It was one of the hardest things "I" have had to give up as a Mommy.

Christy
Maddy - walking finally!

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
http://lilypie.com/days/060301/4/0/0/-5/.png