PDA

View Full Version : Do you call DC by first or middle name?

phirey
08-03-2005, 08:02 PM
Thanks to all that voted during my baby name poll a while back. We've narrowed it down to two names, and we're thinking of putting them both together and then seeing what she looks like when she comes out. We feel like Eva Marin flows nicely, but Marin Eva does not. We'd pronounce it EE-va ma-RINNE, if that helps. Anyway, we're actually leaning more toward calling her Marin. How many of you call DC by his/her middle name? Does it present any problems?

holliam
08-03-2005, 08:18 PM
We call her a nickname based on her middle name. Her name is Wendy Marisol and we call her "Mari". Not really a problem. It's a little confusing at first for official things. But, doctors, etc. always have a place on the forms for "nickname" and they learned quickly to call her that.

My SIL does the same with her son--nickname based on his middle name. It's even more confusing when she picks him up from daycare if someone new is working since she didn't change her name when she married. :)

Holli

mudder17
08-03-2005, 08:26 PM
Ooh! I like the flow of EE-va ma-RINNE! So pretty!

I call Kaya by her first name, because her middle name is after my MIL, and DH would just feel funny calling her by his mother's name. But I was called by my middle name, and for the most part, I never had any problems and in fact, always felt unique in a good way because I was called by my middle name. :)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 17 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

MelissaTC
08-03-2005, 08:53 PM
I call Matthew by his first name except when he is in trouble. Then it is Matthew Patrick! ;)

mclianne
08-03-2005, 09:02 PM
I like Eva Marin! very nice flow...

That being said, I have always gone by my middle name and it has presented irritations if not actual problems. MD offices, while having a place to write your preferred name or nickname, usually call me by my first name despite being told repeatedly to call me by my middle name.

I have gone to get a drivers license, signed in with my first name and middle name, as requested. When they called my first name, i didn't pay attention at first, they repeated it a couple of times until the lady looked at me pointedly and said "You ARE _________ aren't you?!". When I moved to my current state of residence, I requested that they put my full name on my driver's license, they said that they couldn't and I had to have my first name and middle initial.

There are other instances of irriation... I always swore I'd never call my child by their middle name.

jbowman
08-03-2005, 09:09 PM
We call DD Ellie, which is actually her nickname. Her "real" first name is Elizabeth. There is some confusion involved with this (I imagine it is similar to calling a child by his/her middle name; the situation is further complicated by the fact that Ellie isn't a common nickname for Elizabeth!), but it's not overwhelming.

If #2 is a girl, we may call her by her middle name (which would be a family name, DH's grandmother's maiden name)...I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it :). I am glad that you posted this question!

hez
08-03-2005, 11:09 PM
We call Payton by his first name. BUT, my best friend growing up went by his middle name. I never knew it 'til I saw a certificate at school printed up that had all three names listed. His parents called both him and his sister by both first and middle names interchangeably, but I knew them both by their middle names. My great-grandfather was Herman Frederick and went by Fred, as he hated the name Herman. Took me years to figure out what the H stood for, since my mom addressed cards and letter to him as 'H F XXX'

Long story short, I think you can make it work to call her by whichever name you prefer.