PDA

View Full Version : SW Flordia (Ft. Myers area)...cheap diapers, etc.?

em_jon98
08-05-2005, 12:35 AM
This tends to be regional, as some stores sell diapers as a loss leader, and I, being in suburban Chicago, have no idea where to tell my sister to go to get diapers and formula cheap in Ft. Myers, so...

Where do you get diapers, formula, and other baby essentials (things you need on a regular basis) cheap? Here, it is usually BRU/TRU with their coupons (when avaliable) stacked with a manufactuer's coupon, and then it is a toss up between them and Target or Wal-Mart depending on who has cases or the best sale at a particular time. But, my dad tells me there is no BRU in Ft. Myers, so I'm at a loss as to where to tell her to go (also, on a side note, how in the heck does one live without BRU? Where do you get your nice baby gear? I want to buy her a nice stroller when I go down to visit my new nephew in November, but I want to take her to pick it out to make sure it is something she wants and likes...)

Is Wal-Mart or Target the place to go? Or, should they just stock up at Sam's?

Thanks!

VClute
08-05-2005, 07:04 AM
Ahh! Cheap diapers is one of my specialties! Since not working, I've seen bargain shopping as my "job" and I work just as hard at it as I used to with my paying job. I've found that the best deals on diapers are at chain drugstores. I got jumbo packs of Cruisers at Walgreens recently (38 size 3's per pack) for 3.11 each. I got mega packs of Cruisers (58 size 3s) at Eckerds for 8.18 each. NEITHER were marked at that price, they just scanned that way. My experience is that if there's an ADVERTISED deal on diapers in a drug store, there's often an UNadvertised bonus deal! EX: Walgreens advertised dipes at 7.00 a pack (Still a pretty good deal) but upon scanning, the 3's rang up for 3.11 and 4's were 4.15. And, oddly enough, this wasn't at ALL Walgreens, but certainly MOST! : ) Same with the Eckerds deal, but they were advertising their home brand and Huggies were marked on clearance, too.

If your sister is patient and willing to drive a little, she can get these deals, too. (I ALWAYS post what I find on Bargain Alert here on the BBB - and I'm often alerted to what others have found there, too.) Otherwise, I've heard that Amazon delivers to your door for cheap. For a B&M store, Walmart and Sam's are consistently the cheapest in my experience. HTH!

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05

em_jon98
08-05-2005, 11:09 AM
Um, no she isn't patient or willing to drive. She is a full time student, so she just doesn't have the time and, actually, she doesn't drive right now because she hasn't gotten her license yet. So, I was really looking for someone in the immediate area to give me the inside scoop on where to get diapers and formula for the best prices so she would only have to make one stop and stock up every week or two.

I too can play the coupon and sales game because I have the time, but she doesn't so I just wanted to be able to tell her where to go. I thought I read a while back that some of the grocery stores in the South tended to do diapers as a loss leader, but I know formula is WAYYY overpriced in the grocery stores in our area, so I wasn't sure about how that rated.

Anyone else have suggestions specific to the SW Flordia area?

jd11365
08-05-2005, 12:23 PM
I was buying them at Sams, which I needed a membership for, but learned that Publix sells the large boxes for the same price $29., plus they take coupons! So, I've found Publix to have the best deal if her store has the large box. Otherwise, Sams. BJs (another warehouse store) does take coupons too, so that is technically cheaper than Sams, but there aren't as many BJs as Sams. You also need a membership.

HTH!