PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite made-up games right now?

Judegirl
08-06-2005, 07:06 PM
I was at the playground today and watched a father playing "Grumpy Old Troll" with his dd (about 3 years old) - he would jump up on a rickety-bridge thing and down as hard as he could and sing a song about a Grumpy Old Troll. It was great, and I wouldn't have come up with that one! It never occurred to me to wonder what kinds of kooky things with their kids before, so I thought I'd ask...what kooky family games are you guys playing?

Our favorites right now are:

a toddler version of Furniture Tag, where we run across the room to touch whatever piece of furniture I shout out.

1-2-3 Jump! (where Riordan climbs on whatever it is she's on and has to wait until I get to 3 to jump into my arms.)

And Tackle, which is primarily a tool to teach her NOT to dive headfirst on someone who's lying down UNTIL they've said "Tackle!" (Okay, I lied...that one's not my favorite...:))

How about in your homes? I could certainly use more ideas...

Jude

aliceinwonderland
08-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Erik pretends to tickle us when in fact he's pinching. We laugh hysterically, he tries to do it again.

He thinks it's hilarious to say "banana" with two fingers up his nose (one in each hole)....It started with banana, now it's "nananana" with the resulting high-pitched voice...

DH has more, but i forget now. I am the boring parent ;)

mudder17
08-06-2005, 08:32 PM
Hee, hee, yesterday, Kaya made up a new game. She let her drool dribble a little and then spit on a CD case. Then she would grab our handy-dandy, ubiquitous automotive terry towels and wipe it clean. Then she would repeat it over and over. She seemed to find it hilarious for some reason. :)

She also plays a game with my free boob while nursing, but that's another story! ;)

Then there's the "Catch me if you can..." game when we say, "Diaper!" :)

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 17 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png

Judegirl
08-06-2005, 08:33 PM
"He thinks it's hilarious to say "banana" with two fingers up his nose (one in each hole)....It started with banana, now it's "nananana" with the resulting high-pitched voice..."

LOL - I kinda think it's hilarious too... :)

Jude

boogiemom
08-06-2005, 08:49 PM
Just wanted to let you know that the Grumpy Old Troll song is probably from Dora the Explorer. It is a catchy little tune and I always find myself humming it throughout the day when it has been on. That's a cute idea though to use it at the playground.

aliceinwonderland
08-06-2005, 08:50 PM
well, yes, so do we, and this is the problem: he will do it in the carseat or whenever he needs a little more attention, and we (DH especially) cracks up!! Which of course reinforces the behavior.

LOL

Judegirl
08-06-2005, 09:03 PM
OOOHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! I had no idea! Thanks for clueing me in!

kath68
08-06-2005, 10:54 PM
We have a game that is a combo of your tackle game and tag game.

I lie on the floor and when I say "snuggle puppy!" Charlie comes running to tackle me. Tickling commences. Once that is accomplished, he turns around, runs out the door, waits until I say "snuggle puppy" and the whole thing starts all over again. Oh, the hilarity!

Speaking of the snuggle puppy song, Charlie loves it. He requests it all the time by saying "ooooooooh". I can end up in never-ending loops very easily b/c he can hear it over and over and over, and I can't say no!

DS on the other hand says "NO" every other word. I'll be happy when that stage ends!

hez
08-07-2005, 07:24 AM
Payton's very into baseball right now-- so he wants you to toss a ball at him, have him swing the little plastic bat that came with some toy, and 'hit da ball'. Then, if the ball gets anywhere near the bat, he wil 'run da bases', which means he runs round in a little circle until he slides (and daddy says 'Safe!'). We try to do this outside as much as possible, but occasionally in the family room (which is kid-proofed), too.

He's also into 1-2-3 Jump-- usually from the top step into one of our sets of arms. We've gotten him to count to 10 pretty well with this method, and may start working on the teens :)

He tickles us, too (not pinching, but wiggling his fingers), laughing hysterically as he yells 'Teeckle, teeckle!' and then we tickle him back. All three of us have fun with this one.

I know there's more, but those are the biggies that I can think of right now (as I avoid grabbing a shower and getting ready this morning!).

alkagift
08-07-2005, 09:19 AM
Matthew's favorite currently is chase. "Chase Mommy?" means that I run and hide and he runs after me. "Chase Matthew?" is the same thing in reverse. You'd think this would lose it's allure, but noooo.... Also popular is dancing. We dance to the Gypsy Kings, and Matt's favorite is "Baile Me." The song's chorus is "baile, baile, baile....baile, baile me," which means, "dance, dance, dance, dance with me." We run around the living room and clap with our hand in the air. This makes him tired. Which is a good thing!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO!

slknight
08-07-2005, 12:05 PM
Right now DS likes to play a pretend sleeping game. He'll say "Night-night" and I'll close my eyes and start fake snoring. Then he'll say "8-9-10 Wake Up!" and I'll pretend to be startled awake. He thinks it's hilarious and wants to do it over and over again. Sometimes he pretends that he's asleep.

luvtoshop
08-07-2005, 04:33 PM
How cute! Grumpy old troll is definitely from Dora. It's a cute song.

We love to take the cushions off the couch and put them on the floor and let our oldest jump off the couch and onto the cushions. She also likes to clap out the syllables to peoples names. She learned that at school so we do it at home with other names...."grandma, pet names, sister, cousins names, etc..."

Sandra
Mommy to 2 sweet girls!

stcelia
08-07-2005, 11:07 PM
DS is only 6 mos. What is funny to him once, may be yawn-worthy the second time. However, he likes it when we "eat you like a watermellon." We hold his tummy up to our faces and make rediculous, loud eating noises while shaking our heads back and forth (think cookie monster). He thinks this is hysterical and laughs uncontrollably. He also likes it when I say "boogedy boogedy boogedy" in a deep voice. He thinks it is funny when we yawn for some reason, too.

Baby laughs are the best, aren't they?