PDA

View Full Version : Wiggles Opinions?

psophia17
08-10-2005, 11:43 AM
I am totally, 100%, insanely creeped out by the Wiggles.

DS has seen the Wiggles once, when MIL was in charge, and I found out yesterday when we went to the store and there was a Wiggles DVD that DS saw. He promptly started yelling "wiggles" and I was horrified...but obviously he really liked them.

What are the general opinions on the Wiggles? Are they creepy? Are their songs great? What do they teach, exactly? I'm pretty stuck on how it's weird that 4 middle-aged men act like small children...and unlikely to change that opinion, but DS obviously loved their show...

How do you feel about the Wiggles?

mamato1
08-10-2005, 11:55 AM
We don't watch them often because I too find them a little creepy. But, my DS seems to like them OK. The message is pretty benign. Typical of most children's programming. What my DS likes is the singing and dancing. Thet are so animated that it really gets him going. I think for an every once in awhile thing, they are OK.

Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040116/0/1/3/-6/.png

MelissaTC
08-10-2005, 11:57 AM
I like the Wiggles. DS likes to watch them but we are not crazy Wiggles people here. Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing them in concert. :P I like that DS has actually learned something from them. FIL was teaching Matthew how to cross the street and Matthew broke out into the Wiggles song about crossing the street. He told FIL that he knew he had to stop at the light, look both ways and cross the road with a friend. LOL.

crayonblue
08-10-2005, 12:01 PM
It's the only show I actually like! (Besides Veggies Tales DVDs.) My MIL watched one and commented that to truly get on a kid's level, you have to act a little silly. (That comment interested me because she is an elementary school principal. I wonder how she acts?!) Lauren loves the Wiggles, mostly because of the singing and dancing. I can't say that they teach a whole lot, so I try to limit this kind of entertainment TV. But, the Wiggles have helped me get many meals prepared or the kitchen cleaned up, so I am all for the Wiggles! :)

g-mama
08-10-2005, 12:03 PM
I think they're fine. My little one likes pretty much nothing that is on TV but he does like the singing and dancing on the Wiggles. When it comes to a non-musical part, he walks away. Their songs are catchy for small children and they do try to teach things like good manners, good hygiene, healthy eating, etc.

If you're looking for something for your ds to watch, your standards are going have to change because it's not *meant* to be appealing to you, mama - LOL! :)

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
and a *THIRD BOY* coming in December '05

DDowning
08-10-2005, 12:08 PM
We're big Wiggles fans here. The songs are simple but they are catchy (I'll often hear my husband singing "Fruit Salad, Yummy Yummy" in the shower!). We've been to the concerts and we as adults were even entertained. In the morning I'll get on the floor and dance with the songs. Its my fun time with Carson and he *loves it*. So yes they are silly but its good wholesome fun for all of us.

psophia17
08-10-2005, 12:09 PM
LOL - DS watches plenty more TV than I would like, but generally only in the morning and evening (Big Comfy Couch is a HUGE hit). The Wiggles is on at 2pm, so it would be a non-issue, but DS got so excited just seeing their picture on the DVD case, I was thinking I may make an exception for afternoon TV...

August Mom
08-10-2005, 12:47 PM
They are an acquired taste, I think. I thought they were silly at first, but DS liked them. Many of the songs are actually pretty catchy. You may find yourself humming "Hot Potato" even when DS isn't around. LOL Truthfully, I think they are harmless. They don't really "teach" anything except to move around and have fun. There's no overarching message per se.

In the end, I liked the Wiggles because DS liked them and it helped occupy him in the car listening to Wiggles songs.

Momof3Labs
08-10-2005, 01:21 PM
I don't find them to be creepy. Their songs are catchy, both the ones that they've written and the classic folk songs that they sing. Colin watches or listens to them occasionally, and I don't mind at all if they are on.

I wouldn't say that they teach anything specific, except they do bring music down to a child's level. And the quality of their music is better IMO than you'll find in many other toddler-oriented places (Barney, Sesame Street, etc.).

Rachels
08-10-2005, 01:38 PM
Ewwww, they gross me out. Abigail is lukewarm on them, so sees them infrequently, but I hate them. The music is okay, nothing to write home about, but they don't particularly teach anything. But they're so overblown and bizarre. And don't even get me started on Captain Feathersword, whose whole career appears to revolve around facial tics and strain to his vocal cords. Plus he never stands still. Ick, ick.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!
(Holy smokes, it's a boy!!!)

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

Oregonmother
08-10-2005, 02:47 PM
DS absolutley loves them! He has learned all the dances from the 1 DVD we have of them. I would take him to a concert if they had one in my area. DH thinks they're gay though, I just think they are fun and goofy.

sbjf
08-10-2005, 02:51 PM
We love the Wiggles here. John loves their music, he dances to them, it's pretty cute. :-) I've heard them teach manners, nutrition, stuff like that. We also like Barney and Sesame Street.

Now the Doodlebugs...they freak me out, but I still like their music.

Laurelsmom2002
08-10-2005, 02:53 PM
Umm- not creeped out- I've read they have their masters in child development- dd jumps up and dances to much of the show- oobie- creeps me-but not the wiggles

ellies mom
08-10-2005, 02:53 PM
I think they are great for kids, so if DH watches it with DD I don't care. I don't watch them it I think it is a little creepy, not as creepy as Oobie, Boobah and the Teletubbies and not on my "not in this house" list (that would be Barney), but creepy enough. DD and I watcc Sesame Street and the Backyardigans with a little "Between the Lions", Blue's Clues and Dora thrown in when I need to get a bit of housework done. Now, Dora annoys the heck out of me but I let her watch it on occasion.

MartiesMom2B
08-10-2005, 03:00 PM
We like them in their household. I think that some of their songs do teach some - like in Melissa example. I think it's cute to watch Martie dance and sing with them.

Two of the band members used to be in a rock band in the 80's - called the Cockroaches. Then they went to University and got degrees in Early Childhood Education. They did some songs as the Wiggles as a project and it caught on, and instead of becoming preschool teachers they became children singers - which is defintely more lucrative. I think that's why they act and are silly like they are. They play for their audience - not for the parents.

Some people find them weird, but I think their songs are original and are better then the songs featured on Barney andt he usual preschool songs such as "The Wheels on the Bus".

-Sonia
Mommy to my Strawberry Shortcake lovin' Martie

karolyp
08-10-2005, 03:34 PM
I don't know much about the Wiggles except for the fact that (according to my local paper) they are the highest paid Australian entertainer...passing Russell Crow and Nicole Kidman!!!!

murpheyblue
08-10-2005, 03:56 PM
DD was on a major Wiggles kick for a while but then Disney changed their morning schedule so they're not on until the later morning so she seesthem rarely now. We do have a couple Wiggles DVDs that she watches infrequently. She love Dorothy the Dinosaur.

I think they're fairly entertaining. Their songs aren't wildly annoying which is rare in kid's television. All things considered, they don't bother me.

Kungjo
08-11-2005, 01:14 AM
Love the Wiggles here. When DD first started watching them, I felt that they were pretty weird. Something about 4 grown men acting silly like that just didn't sit right. It's an acquired taste type of thing. We got use to it and then loved it. Tunes are catchy. We went to two of their shows and they were pretty enjoyable. Would definitely take DD again.

pixelprincess
08-11-2005, 02:11 AM
I have to admit I haven't watched them a whole lot but I am not thrilled with what I have seen. Also, I refused to get DS hooked on to something that could potentially cost $$ in concert tix. It seems everyone in our playgroup is going to the concerts.

heh heh, I hope I don't have to eat my words later :-)

drsweetie
08-11-2005, 07:20 AM
I am cool with the Wiggles because DD enjoys them and because their show allows me to get dinner made every once in a while. One thing that I think is interesting in the whole "Are the Wiggles creepy or are they not" debate (which has been discussed lots of places, not just here) is that there's a large double standard in place. People seem to think that men acting this way is creepy, but if the Wiggles were four women instead, I doubt there'd be so much concern. There's a general perception that men who like children and who are able to relate to them on their level have pedophilic tendencies, whereas women who like children aren't assumed to have such sinister motives. My (male) cousin was a kindergarten teacher for a while, and he got lots of questions about why on earth he chose that profession, whereas his female colleagues never got hassled. (True, men are more likely than women to molest children, but they certainly haven't cornered the market on that, unfortunately.) I'm sure the Wiggles deal with similar situations and speculation.

KarenNYC
08-11-2005, 07:36 AM
Ryan LIVES for the Wiggles. When I first saw them I was a bit creeped out as well but have found that I really like them and the music is actually pretty good. The guys actually met while in grad school getting their masters in early childhood education and three of them were already in an adult band and as a thesis project they wrote some kids music and voila - several multi-millionaires were born. They work VERY hard at it and I think it is great.

They do have educational value and they really speak on a kids level which is why we think they are a bit creepy but the kids worship them. Three out of the four guys are married with kids (Jeff - the guy in purple - is the single one).

We've been to one of their concerts and are going to our second one next week - gotta say, not sure how had more fun at the last one DS or me!

Here is the info from their website:

So nothing is left out, let's start at the very beginning!
Anthony Field, Murray Cook and Greg Page met while studying Early Childhood Education at Sydney's Macquarie University. The three began writing children's songs as one of their music projects. They enlisted the assistance of Jeff Fatt, who played with Anthony in the popular 1980's band The Cockroaches, and The Wiggles were born. The Wiggles took the finished tape to ABC Music, who released a self-titled album in 1991.

Although The Wiggles began as a fun and creative way to work with children through music and song, they hadn't collectively thought about where it would take them as a group. It didn't take long however, until the reception the material was getting from both children and their parents alike, indicated that this was something very special.

ribbit1019
08-11-2005, 09:45 AM
OOOh don't get my started on t.v. Petra! :)

I hate the Wiggles. DD watches them like three times a day with Sponge Bob and Scooby Doo mixed in for my nephew. I think they are scary and provide nothing but a occasional tune for DD to dance to. She really likes Dorothy the Dinosaur also.

That said we have stumbled across them a couple of times and have "Rock a bye your bear" and "Walk" DVR'd so that if she is really screaming we can distract her. This also helps if I need to go to the bathroom, lol. But we also have the music channel DVR'd with some of her other favorite songs for that same reason.

March-March-March and there will be minimal Wiggles and other TV programs in DD's life.

Christy
Maddy - walking finally!

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
http://lilypie.com/days/060301/4/0/0/-5/.png

mudder17
08-11-2005, 10:00 AM
I've never seen them, and neither has Kaya, but I have one of their CDs and I enjoy popping it in every once in a while. Kaya will also occasionally bop to the songs. I have no plans to actually get any of their DVDs.

Eileen

http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif for Leah

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_gold_12m.gif , 17 months & counting

http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/catcatcvi20040222_4_Kaya+is.png