PDA

View Full Version : triangle mamas, do any of you still see dr. nechyba? If so, question..

holliam
08-10-2005, 06:03 PM
Hey mamas,

Several of you recommended him to us a while back, and after meeting with him, I decided we liked him pretty well. We've only seen him 2x so far, and I'm not sure how to approach some things.

One of Mari's polio boosters in Guatemala had a weird date on it. It looks like a misprint, but he wants to repeat it at her 1 year appointment. I had no choice in her vaccinations thus far so I am totally not well-versed in whether I should let him do this or not. I get the feeling that he is pro-vax and since we had no choice previously, it was not an area I educated myself on.

I'm trying to get my agency to get ahold of her Guatemalan pediatrician to see if we can get some additional documentation, but her appointment is in a few weeks so I'm covering my options.

So, really my question is how have you found him to be? Have any of you delayed vaccines or opted out of them or anything?

Holli

NEVE and TRISTAN
08-10-2005, 06:14 PM
WE use him and I think I started the bandwagon of the BBB's mom going to him. I was recommended to him by one of my best friends who has 8 children (from two merged marriages) and she is just dynamic and just "knows"...and she is married to a DR so I trusted her take.

Lisa went with me to the meeting and pre meeting said "interview more than one"...but during the interview I will never forget she whispered "you're search is over"...pregnant and knowing nothing I said "ok".

LOVE HIM LOVE HIM LOVE HIM...
now he does share his opinions...and if you differ he in my opinion respects it, he might tug a little more with his but when you tug back that second time I notice he lets go with the utmost respect.

When they checked titers on my boys some of karsh's were not present leading him to question his record. Reichen's appeared fine.

With 99% of the things that need from Dr N I say "what would you do if it were your child"...that doesn't work in all cases with all DRs but I have that relationship with him and just trust him.

There is one thing we disagreed on and it is kind of personal, and when I say disagree it was not a conflict just a difference of opinion...I stood my thoughts and acted on them and he bowed in respect.

T wouldn't have gone with us to Ukraine if it were not for DR N...when everyone said "you can't" he said "I would"...I thank him to this day for that. He cheered us on as much as anyone, printed info for us, wrote scripts and gave me medicine for children he had never seen, didn't know the age of etc...

I can't advice on your situation for I am not versed in the arguements of vaccination, someone here will know...but wanted you to know how much I adore him and hoped that would help some.

He was number one in his class in medical school...nothing he ever shares but I read it in a write up about him...he knows his stuff.

when B was born and went thru her collic stage I cried to him over it, Steve was coming in and out of town and DR N in Steve's presence said "I'm going to call you and make sure you are taking time for yourself Neve..."...gotta love him!!!!
When I melted down after B's birth and her colic he said he was suprised I hadn't done it sooner and just cheers you on...

Keep us posted...I so hope you like him!!!!

Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

holliam
08-10-2005, 06:23 PM
Thanks, Neve! I was hoping you were still using him. So, did you end up vaccinating Karsh? We did a random selection of titers for Mari but oddly he didn't do the polio one saying he generally trusted it, but then I think he caught the date misprint afterwards. All her other titers were just fine.

Also, do you have any idea how to interpret the thing we got from the US embassy (assuming it's commong for all int'l adoptions) that we had to swear that we would continue with their "recommended vaccines" once home?

From the little research I have done, I think we would have chosen to selectively delay vaccines. But, this is one area where my science self clashes dramatically with my crunchy self. We also travel so much that I would be concerned but then I don't trust so much of what is going on with pharmaceutical companies. I'm so not sure what to do. In some ways I'm relieved I didn't have a choice with Mari, but now I am so unsure what to do next.

That is amazing to hear how great he is. That gives me great comfort. He told us his brother has three children adopted from China. I believe 2 came home right when Mari did as it was fresh on his mind.

I did love that he didn't blink an eye at her cloth dipes. Handled them like a pro. :) His office staff seems great too, and we never wait.

Holli

NEVE and TRISTAN
08-10-2005, 06:47 PM
typing with b in arms so bare with...

i only clashed w one nurse once...skinny gal about 40ish with blunt dark hair. i complained and she is nice sense. i too have never waited, and if late they never say a thing to me they just smile and treat you with respect.
i hate they have lolipops at the desk though and really wish they didn't.

i don't know what to say about the v'ing...it is so personal and i just find that i trust medical advice IF i like the md. maybe it's my cover the butt thing but if an md gives advice to a patient, someone who has seen records, patient etc i typically trust what they recommend. you'll get good advice here i am certain, i'm just not good at giving actual advice that effects baby (and must say ubeducated to do so).

K did get vaccinated and goes back for one more...
all of my kiddos are and on schedule (cept k). we too plan on traveling the world...in my case i just felt better doing it and can only hope will not regret it.

i don't want to be attacked by anyone for saying to much about my beliefs (we can chat off line) on v'ing so I can't really go into it much, but will gladly admit I detered to DR N for what he would do.

But don't take my opinion on this one...I'm jsut speaking on what we did...and hope you will get insight from those that researched it much more than I did, for many are in the "know" and I am not. I'm opinionated as anyone but when it comes to medical issues and advice on treatment I lack opinions big time...:)

Neve

NEVE and TRISTAN
08-10-2005, 10:13 PM
ask your vac question in a new thread...it might get missed in one labeled Raleigh/DR...

I think you will get some great advice here and I would hate for it to get hidden in this thread and people not see it...

Neve

MelissaTC
08-10-2005, 10:47 PM
Like Neve, we adore Dr. N. He has been nothing but awesome to us and when other Drs were giving us a hard time about Matthew's weight, he told me to relax. He said he wasn't worried about it and I shouldn't be either. I am so glad I listened to him!

I find him to be quite respectful of personal opinions. We recently had a long discussion with him regarding taking Matthew to China. As an Uncle to now three Chinese girls and a Dr., he was able to give an unique perspective and really listened to our concerns. He has called my home to check on Matthew and I admire him for his commitment to his patients. Last year during flu season, he called me immediately after I left a message. He saw Matthew on a Sunday and after he apologized for making us wait (??!!! we were just happy to be seen on a Sunday and not in a hospital!) he told us that he was not going home until every child was seen.

The point to all this babbling- he is trustworthy and very respectful. He doesn't act like he is better than me because he is a Dr.. He respects that you are a parent and know your child better than anyone. I love that about him!

daisymommy
08-11-2005, 07:40 AM
Holli,
since I've only been talking about moving to the area, I obviously haven't met the man yet, but maybe will someday ;)

However, in my long quest to do reserach on all the different vaccines, and deciding what we will do/not do in the future, I for sure came to my own opinion that if you are concerened about vaccines, then the polio vax. is one of the easiest ones to avoid getting with a clear conscience/without worry.

If you'd like a copy of my notes, please let me know and I'd be happy to email it to you! Take Care,