PDA

View Full Version : OT: I have a resume question

aliceinwonderland
08-11-2005, 11:54 AM
Is the word "memo" too informal? I have the word memoranda used already and do not want to repeat just one paragraph later.Many thanks.

Just one more thing to obsess over. I keep thinking I have a hidden typo somewhere that eludes me...And that I'll find after it's too late. LOL.

eb1
08-11-2005, 12:04 PM
I think "memo" is standard enough to use. However, I would not use "memoranda" / "memorandum" in one section and then "memo" in another. Be consistent throughout the resume. If you don't want to repeat the same term, then switch to a different one, such as "correspondence" or "communication" (or whatever is appropriate in the situation).

ETA: I don't think it's too much to repeat "memo" in the next paragraph. You want to avoid using the same word too many times, but usually this is more noticeable when you repeat it within a single sentence or paragraph.

aliceinwonderland
08-11-2005, 12:09 PM
Thanks so much. Repetition-wise, it's fine, I think :)

kath68
08-11-2005, 12:19 PM
My preference would be memoranda if you are using it in a legal job description. But I would compromise and use memo under certain circumstances -- like if space was at a premium.

But, I would use the same word in both places. We lawyers don't like to vary our terms. If I were reading a resume with memo used one place and memoranda used someplace else, I'd wonder if there was a substantive difference between the two terms as you were using them.

HTH

zuzu
08-11-2005, 01:59 PM
I agree with Kathy. "Memo" sounds too informal to be used on a legal resume. But, whichever term you choose, be consistent throughout. I wouldn't worry too much about repetition in a resume, though I might in a cover letter.

Good luck!

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)
who also needs to work on her resume . . .

miki
08-11-2005, 02:03 PM
I also wouldn't worry about repeating either memo or memorandum (I prefer the longer) because for a law student, I think it's perfectly normal that some of your notable work will have been writing memoranda.

annasmom
08-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Just my 2 cents, but if its a legal resume, I would be consistent. As a previous poster noted, lawyers like to use the same terms throughout regardless of repetition -- different words may mean different things. Also, I would stick to memoranda or memorandum. By the way, good luck!

NancyJ_redo
08-11-2005, 02:57 PM
>We lawyers
>don't like to vary our terms. If I were reading a resume with
>memo used one place and memoranda used someplace else, I'd
>wonder if there was a substantive difference between the two
>terms as you were using them.

I totally agree with you Kathy! Anal perhaps, but I like to see consistency throughout, so I would probably think it was a lack of attention to detail if I saw different terms used to refer to the same thing.

aliceinwonderland
08-11-2005, 02:59 PM
I changed it to a different term.

I have looked at this thing 100 times now, and had it reviewed by the Career office, but only this morning did it strike me as problematic. Just in time too.

Thanks so much.

votre_ami03
08-11-2005, 03:38 PM
Just wanted to say good luck! I am doing the same thing (not in legal tho) & can't tell you how many "final" copies of my resume I have printed out!

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030722/1/7/2/-7/.png