PDA

View Full Version : Digital Rebel question

ddmarsh
08-14-2005, 01:41 PM
What is the difference between the XT and EOS versions? It appears that there are the newer 8MP models of each of these and for the life of me cannot figure out what the difference is.

Thanks!

pritchettzoo
08-14-2005, 02:33 PM
The Rebel XT and the EOS3D are the same camera (why they do that is beyond me!). They still make a 6-ish MP EOS I think, which was improved upon for the XT and 3D.

This review details some of the differences between the old and new:
http://reviews.cnet.com/Canon_EOS_Digital_Rebel_XT_silver/4505-6501_7-31309326-2.html?tag=top

And this one:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2005_reviews/rebelxt.html

We just got the Rebel XT and it is a-freaking-mazing.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

JMS
08-14-2005, 02:47 PM
Sorry to highjack, but I was wondering Anna how extensively you shopped your Rebel XT? I just decided on this camera and I'm trying to find a good place to buy it online, in terms of reputation and price.

TIA!

pritchettzoo
08-14-2005, 03:03 PM
The camera is fairly fice-prixed from what I understand. Online places scare me--a friend got burned with a non-US version of a camera that didn't have a warranty and some other issues. We bought it from Circuit City because they had 18 months no interest (and we have a cash back card with them thanks to a bunch of office purchases!) and we got a $50 gift card and some other freebie pack. We also purchased it online to pick up in the store and got ebates for that. Wolf/Ritz camera had a deal a couple of weeks ago with free prints for a year, a free color printer, and something else. I would rather pay $50 more (the cheapest I've seen at an online place is $899 and Circuit City's price is $950 including that gift card thing but not including $19 from ebates) and be able to return it if something is wrong and not worry about the warranty being void or it being reconditioned or something.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

lablover
08-14-2005, 05:35 PM
If you are a Costco member, I saw it there for $899. People say that you can return the camera at any time for any reason.

kozachka
08-15-2005, 03:13 AM
I have not done an extensive research on this particular camera but while looking for the best place to buy another digital camera came across this post at www.deals2buy.com/delldeals.htm#hhea . At $789.15 sounds like a pretty good deal to me! And we've bought computers from Dell.com and never had any issues with them. Going through eBates gives you another 2% off. Fat Wallet is an even better deal at 3%. HTH!

How to get this deal:

Click http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A0459500 to go to Dell Home S&P.

Add to Shopping cart for $999

At checkout apply 15% off Select Canon Digital Cameras Coupon : HGK?WX5VBVFR96 (Exp 08/18/05 5:59am CST or 4000 uses)

Also At checkout apply $60 off $500 Coupon: JQWFN3RR7NJ?F5 (Exp 08/18 5:59am CST or 7000 uses)
Final Price : $999 - 15% - $60 = $789.15 + Free Shipping + No tax in most states

Hint: Along with this you can get DELL Color Printer 720 for $49 -$45off Coupon : D8P68ZLCGJ3S93 (Exp: Limited time) = $4

lablover
08-15-2005, 07:30 AM
OK - I am soooo close to purchasing the camera using this awesome deal but I have a question for anyone that has this or actually any type of dSLR. I was reading a photo forum and some of the experts were telling a newbie that if you are inexperienced using a dSLR you will get better pictures using a point and shoot compact; that unless you know how to use the controls properly the pictures on the dSLR won't be as good. My situation is that I recently purchased a Nikon 5900 which is nice, but I'd like to get rid of that lag, and I have visions of learning how to really take nice pictures and figuring out how to use all the controls (we'll see if that actually comes to fruition, although I have coupons to take free classes from Ritz Camera). So is there anyone that has been using their dSLR purely in auto mode? How are your pics in your opinion? I'm hoping since these people are photo experts that they are concerned with details that I probably wouldn't notice. The other thing is that they are saying the kit lens that comes with the XT is not good. Again, is this something that I, as an inexperienced photographer, would notice in my pictures or is it only those with expert eyes?

Basically will I be able to get decent pictures even though right now I know nothing about aperture, what different lenses do, etc?

crayonblue
08-15-2005, 08:16 AM
Yes, you will be able to get decent (even great) pictures using auto mode. The "experts" love to say that no one should use the auto modes on SLRs! Sure, if you learn how to use your camera, you will get even better pictures. But, auto mode is very useful in many situations and shouldn't be totally poo-pooed. I use auto mode more often than not because I am still learning and I have gotten fantastic pictures, FAR better than with my point and shoot.

The kit lens is ok. It is a bit slow and is not great for indoor pictures. There was a thread on this a while back. We bought the kit lens (came in the package) and were happy with it until we bought a better lens! We have the Canon 28-135 IS USM and think it is a great all around lens. (Bought it at BH Photo for around $400.)

Thatchermom
08-17-2005, 02:23 AM
This really is true. We cracked the LCD cover on our Rebel and brought it back with no problem. They didn't even open the box to make sure it was all there. Gave us cash back, including the shipping (we had ordered it online). It had even gone down $200 since we had bought it, so we made money on the deal. An unbeatable insurance policy!

BillK
08-17-2005, 09:02 AM
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=371189&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

B & H Photo is tops and has an excellent online reputation.

lablover
08-17-2005, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the info. So do you use the kit lens at all now that you have the 28-135? Would my best bet be to try and find the camera without the lens for $100 cheaper and then buy the better lens separately?

crayonblue
08-17-2005, 02:22 PM
We haven't used the kit lens since buying the 28-135. But, I have heard that people sometimes use the kit lens for wide angles. The 28-135 is a little squashed when trying to take a wide angle (like a landscape). There are other reasonably priced lenses that are slightly wider and that are better than the 18-55 kit lens. And, there are way more expensive lenses that are excellent (like the 24-70L that I think is $1000+).

We bought our camera as a kit at Best Buy because we were returning a camera and we had credit there so we didn't have an option of not buying the kit lens. If we had the option, I am sure we would not have bought the kit lens and would have gone with a better lens to begin with. With such an expensive camera, it is nice to have a nice lens too.