PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a good *plain* pound cake recipe!

jbowman
08-14-2005, 03:08 PM
Does anyone have a good one? I am hosting a party next week and want to serve the cake for dessert--I plan to cut out small pieces with a cookie cutter (in the shape of Texas, LOL). I will be serving the small pieces of cake with berries and cream on the side.

I am looking for recipes that use loaf pans for the cake (if that makes sense--standard pans--5x7 I think)? TIA!

pritchettzoo
08-14-2005, 03:40 PM
Mmmm...pound cake...

Here's my stepmother's recipe:
3 c sugar
3 c all-purpose flour
6 eggs
1/2 pt whipping cream
1/2 lb butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp lemon or almond extract

Cream together eggs, butter, and sugar. Then add flour a cup at a time. After each cup of flour, add a little whipping cream. Then beat in flavorings. Grease and flour bundt pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 1/2 hours. Start in cold oven.

*This will make 2 8" loaf pans. Reduce the cooking time--start checking it at about 45 mins.

If you want a lighter recipe, you can do a search in here. I know I posted a Cooking Light Brown Sugar pound cake recipe that is really tasty, and someone else posted a sour cream one.

Honestly, if you have a lot to prepare for the party, I would get frozen Sara Lee pound cakes. They slice really well and would cut smoothly. A homemade pound cake is going to be crumb-i-er and much harder to slice evenly. You can do the shapes ahead of time and then toast them briefly before serving with a smear of butter and no one will know/care it's store-bought. I've also seen (3-packs?) loaf pound cakes at Sam's/Costco--never bought a pack, but the free samples were yummy. :P

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

jbowman
08-14-2005, 03:50 PM
Thank you so much! That recipe sounds delicious!

Actually, Anna, I was thinking about the Sara Lee pound cakes! I imagined that they would be easy to cut. As stupid as it sounds, I really want to cut the cake in the shape of Texas, since I am hosting a "welcome to Texas (no time to turn around and get out)" party for two new professors. And yes, I am serving other things at the party (which is more or less a happy hour), so I am trying to do things as easily as possible!