PDA

View Full Version : Need to share scary incident - DH and our dog got attacked by another dog

momma_boo
08-15-2005, 10:20 AM
Deleted post due to some new developments.

Short Story: the other dog died during the quarantine period. It did test negative for rabies but dr felt DH should get rabies shot anyway due to non-optimal testing conditions.

We're considering contacting our lawyer.

jd11365
08-15-2005, 10:30 AM
Oh Esther, that is horrible! How is Scout doing? Will this effect his work? I'm just so sorry he and your DH had to deal with that, how scary. Was that dog unleashed? If so, there should be fines to pay at the least. If he was strong enough to pull away from the handler and attack while on a leash, further action to ensure a muzzle is worn when in public would be the least of my requests.

Glad to see you around here, but sorry it's under such lousy circumstances. Keep us updated!

hez
08-15-2005, 10:47 AM
That is really scary! I hope both your guys are OK.

Our dog's over-protective of his people & his yard. Another dog came over and jumped him (on our front step!) this weekend. Thankfully I had ours on a good strong leash & got control fairly quickly, but jeez people, it was so unnecessary had that dog been on a d@mn leash. I don't know what I would have done had Payton been outside walking the dog with me, as he usually is.

(((hugs)))

mamamayi
08-15-2005, 10:48 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your dog attack! That must have been so scary! I have been in this situation more than once myself. People don't seem to understand that they need to have their dogs on leashes and under control. It doesn't matter how "nice" your dog is. For a person who is afraid of dogs, even a nice dog running up to greet you is enough to make you run and cry because you don't know if they are nice or not.

I had a neighbor who had a mean dog that would come out to attack me every time I went to the end of my driveway to get my mail. This dog would run across the street and into my yard to get me. I started getting my mail from my car. I'd just drive up to the mailbox, roll down the window and grab it. I also was like you in that I would always check to see if the dog was outside before walking out. I called the police about the dog because the woman would not restrain it even when I was outside and she saw this happening. One of the first times I even said to her very politely, "Maam, I'm afraid of your dog. Would you please come get your dog?" She said he wouldn't hurt me and then turned around and walked away, leaving the dog to bark and growl at me. I had my trash at the end of the driveway that time and I had the garbage can lid in my hand to protect myself. So there I was protecting myself with a garbage can lid on my own property!

Now, for what I found out from the police. I lived in an unincorporated area and was told there was nothing I could do unless the dog actually bit me!!!! My rights did allow me to shoot the dog if it was on my property, but I didn't consider that an option and I didn't have a gun anyway. I found out the woman had a mental problem, and her husband tried to help by letting the dogs out the back door of their house instead of the front. So basically there was nothing I could do except to be careful. The dog eventually got attacked by another dog down the road (which was also running loose) and it sustained a broken jaw, which took care of the problem. It was never mean again and pretty much stayed in its own yard.

I guess the meaning of this rambling of mine is to let people know that their dogs need to be controlled no matter how friendly they perceive them to be. I'll bet that most people, by the time they become an adult, will encounter AT LEAST one scary dog incident. I pray that you'll find a good solution to yours and that it will get taken care of very soon.

psophia17
08-15-2005, 11:21 AM
Dog attacks are horrible - I am a huge animal lover and will rescue all animals where I can, but animals that attack unprovoked should be put down, end of story.

When I was about 11, my younger brother and I were riding our bikes in our very rural but always safe area when a huge white dog, I think a husky or some sort, ran up to us barking like there was no tomorrow. I was walking my bike up a slow hill, but my brother, still riding his bike, started pedaling as hard as he could. The dog ran up to him and bit his calf. My brother kicked the dog, I started screaming and somehow threw my bike at the dog, hit him, and finally the dog ran away.

We rescued my bike and pedaled home, with no idea where this dog had come from. The dog warden was called in and patrolled the area, but saw nothing, and my mom took us out in the car, exactly where we were attacked, but we saw nothing. Because it was Sunday and it was only a small puncture wound, we waited for Monday to get my brother to the doctor. Monday morning, I was on the school bus when we went down a road that ran parallel to the one we'd been on during the attack, and there, sitting at the end of his driveway with this obnoxious kid who went to my school, was the dog. I called home once I got to school, and the dog warden, my mom, and brother headed over to the house to ID the dog. Because it was up on its shots and there were no witnesses of age, the family got a $25 fine, told to keep the dog in their yard (ha!) and that was it.

A year later, the dog attacked a woman and dog out doing the same thing we'd been doing, riding bikes. This time, because two dogs were involved and I think because the lady knew someone working at the local paper, it was more publicized. Turns out the dog who attacked my brother had been attacking people on bikes regularly, and the local dog warden didn't do anything about it because he was cousins with the dog's owner.

The dog was put down.

ribbit1019
08-15-2005, 11:58 AM
That is so scary. Neighbors of ours had a staffordshire bull terrier
and a pit bull. Both ridiculously dangerous dogs and I was not sad to see them go to be put to sleep. They both viceously attacked a neighborhood child, my mom was glad it wasn't my sister or I, but I think it is just dumb luck that it wasn't one of us. After they got them my sister and I were terrified of going outside because the dogs would run towards us and start growling for no reason and with no provoking actions from my sister or I. And we were in our yard! My mom was friendly with the neighbor so she would call her and tell her to get the dogs out of yard. At one point she asked her why in the world they got them, apparently it was her husband's doing.

I really hope you never have to see this dog again after the owner gets home. Stay safe!

Christy
Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
Little Peanut due 03/02/05
http://lilypie.com/days/060301/4/0/0/-5/.png

ellies mom
08-15-2005, 12:06 PM
I'm really sorry about your DH and Scout. That is horrible. My husband was bit by a dog once (didn't break the skin but left a nasty bruise) and the people didn't even seem to notice. Argghhh.

I hate these stories because I always think to myself "Please don't let it be a Pit Bull". They can be such wonderful dogs but because of their reputation they attract unsavory owners who turn them into monsters. I had one for years. It really makes me sad and angry to think of these loving dogs being ruined and then for the people and dogs that get hurt. That dog should have been on a leash especially if the person watching it wasn't familier with it's personality. There is no excuse for it.

Anyhow, I hope everyone heals quickly.

JFC
08-15-2005, 12:08 PM
OMG! That is terrible - my heart goes out to you, your DH, and Scout! A similar thing happened to me when I was walking our old dog - thankfully (especially given I was 8 months pregnant) all I had to do was kick the attacking dog and start screaming and then its owner intervened. I remember being TERRIFIED afterward, when what happened really hit me. I hope your DH and Scout are all healed quickly and that that dog won't be a problem down the road - in the meantime, be careful. ;-)

murpheyblue
08-15-2005, 12:09 PM
That is horrible. It's kind of surprising that the board of health would allow your neighbors to continue walking the dog in your neighborhood. But that's probably just the lawyer in me talking.

DH's family had a Stafforshire. They rescued it as a puppy when the kids were starting high school and didn't know what it was. She was a good dog around people but she really never liked other dogs.

searchdog
08-15-2005, 12:24 PM
I sent you an email, but if this dog is originally from Indiana let me know because I know the owner and even though she is out of town I can probably get you a copy of the shot records so that your DH doesn't have to worry. Your story sounds just like a girl I work with. She is in Russia visiting her dad and has the breed of dog that you talk about and her dog would attack another dog IMO.

Momof3Labs
08-15-2005, 02:14 PM
Ugh, dog attacks are SO SCARY. DH's dog attacked my dog shortly after we moved in together, and it was positively brutal. The damage that a dog can do is unbelievable; you are so fortunate that both your DH and Scout are basically okay.

DH's dog was a Lab, go figure. No dog is above this behavior, given just the right circumstances.

aliceinwonderland
08-15-2005, 02:21 PM
Oh, that is so scary...I have no pets, and I love dogs, so that's what we would have if we ever got one--but stories like these are what deters me.

We had a REALLY scary story in criminal law class last year about dogs that attacked a child. Granted, these dogs were not properly trained by their owner(she was very very negligent with a very dangerous breed of dog), but what they did gives me shudders to this day...

I'm so glad your Dh and puppy are ok....

amp
08-17-2005, 10:13 AM
Wow Esther! I don't even know what to say except I'm sorry your DH and Scout had to go thru that! I'm just glad they're ok. I'd be really worried about going out of the house too, any of you. Yikes! I hope that dog is gone very soon and you and your family can all relax! Hugs to you guys!

kensjen
08-17-2005, 10:59 AM
Oh Esther, that is just scary! I am so sorry you have to worry about that. Let's hope that dog is out of your neighborhood soon.

jasabo
08-17-2005, 12:07 PM
How scary! I'm so glad that Scout and your dh are ok. I was out walking my two dogs last year and a rottweiler down the street actually broke through his backyard gate and chased us. It was terrifying.

I hope you guys never see that dog again, and that he doesn't hurt anyone else either.

Lisa - mom to 2 yr old twin boys

new_mommy25
08-17-2005, 12:37 PM
Esther, I'm so sorry. I am terrified of dogs and your story was really scary. I hope the county sorts this mess out.

momma_boo
08-17-2005, 02:31 PM
Thanks everyone. Both are on the mend and it doesn't seem to have affected our dog's "working performance." They had their monthly recertification training yesterday and he did fine.

Unfortunately, the county has decided not to put him into the shelter, but the dog must be muzzled when it's walked. But the owner is supposed to be returning in a week.

At this point, I'm not even using the front door when I leave and come home w/ the girls and am using the back door (have a fenced in back yard).

hellokitty1
08-17-2005, 04:18 PM
Esther-

I could not reply to your original post when I first read it but was hoping everything was okay. Glad to hear everyone is getting better. Hope it gets to the point where you feel safe again no matter where you are.

I'm thinking about you!

Marcy_O
08-17-2005, 06:31 PM
Oh Esther, that is so horrible :( I sure hope your DH and scout are doing ok. Dog attacks are just as damaging emotionally as they are physically. You surely shouldn't feel that you can't go outside your own home. I hope you won't have to worry about it much longer.

Thank God it wasn't you and your dc...

Hugs to you all

Vajrastorm
08-17-2005, 07:11 PM
I am so sorry for your dh and dog. :(

Have you considered carrying pepper spray? I carried pepper spray for a while after a close call with a neighborhood dog. I don't know if it would be effective at stopping a Staffordshire who was full throttle, but it would be an added level of protection.

Your dh is lucky that he wasn't bitten more badly. Stopping a dogfight is dangerous and scary.

I don't think you are in any extra danger from the dog if the dog smells your dog on you. Dog on dog aggression is different than dog on human aggression. The dog may also be aggressive towards people, I wouldn't take any chances, but the neighbor's dog might only be a danger to other dogs.

It upsets me how casually people treat their dangerous dogs.

searchdog
08-29-2005, 11:01 AM
I am sorry you are having to deal with this. I did want to tell you that my DH has had the rabies shots and said they weren't bad for him. He had to have them before he attended veterinary school about 12 years ago, so not because of a bite. I am not sure how the shots differ after a bite vs. doing them just because like my DH did. He had a titer last year and his level is still where it needs to be. Just thought I would let you know that.

momma_boo
08-29-2005, 11:12 AM
Hey Meg,

Yeah, I think he goes back in for his 3rd one today. (had two last week) and then gets another one next week.

The worst problem has been a really bad headache that he gets the day after.

starrynight
08-29-2005, 11:23 AM
Yikes!!! I hope your family and dog are ok {{{hugs}}.

Sillygirl
08-29-2005, 11:58 AM
I didn't see your original story, but wanted to say I'm so glad your husband is getting the shots! Rabies is nothing to fool around with. I HATE irresponsible dog owners!

amp
08-29-2005, 01:11 PM
Oh Crap, Esther! How scary! Sorry DH needs the rabies shots, but better safe than sorry! And what about your dog? I know he got hurt in the incident too.

Good work on contacting your lawyer. I'd be interested to hear how it all turns out, but mostly I just want to hear that you guys are all ok in the long run. I just told DH about your story this weekend and he was shocked. I've been thinking of all of you! Good luck on this!

HannaAddict
08-30-2005, 12:02 AM
I am sorry to hear this new development. I hope your husband does okay with the rabies shot(s), I've heard it is somewhat less awful than in past years but scary and no fun to say the least. Good thoughts to your family and Scout. I would contact an attorney and/or ask the owner of the dog who their carrier is for homeowner's insurance.

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

tiikeri2
08-30-2005, 09:29 AM
Oh, Ester! The whole situation leaves me sad. There was no reason your DH and dog should have been attacked, and I admit I feel sorry for this other dog too. I can't help but wonder about the cause of death...I hope it was not being abused.

Too bad your DH has to get the rabies shot, but better safe than sorry, I guess.

Kay