PDA

View Full Version : Gift for MIL who refuses money for watching my punkin

Marcy_O
08-15-2005, 06:09 PM
My mother in law has been watching my son while I'm at work for the last two weeks (only two days a week) and this is the last week she'll be able to do it, but that's three weeks and she refuses money for doing it. She also comes over and watches him occasionally if I have a client coming to my house. (And she's not even manipulative!!! LOL)

They just moved into a new house and she got all new furniture except for two chairs for the living room. DH and I are thinking of getting her a glider as she has one and mentioned how horrible it was and wanted maybe a new set of them.

Do you have any other ideas for something to get for her?

MarisaSF
08-15-2005, 06:52 PM
I always get our moms photo gifts from the baby. I did personalized photos books from Shutterfly, photo magnets, photo coffee mugs.

But I also think a glider would be wonderful!

saschalicks
08-15-2005, 06:56 PM
We once got my parents a gift certificate for Blockbuster. I've bought my mom little things here and there that I know she needs/wants. Like one time I bought her some new knitting needles and pattern books. We bought my dad a camera bag for his new digital camera. You know stuff like that. I would give her something that she would never buy herself.

For what it's worth my parents would NEVER take $$ either and we don't have much to give. We just get them things when we see something we know they like and give it to them from DS when we drop him off for babysitting. HTH

jadamom
08-15-2005, 08:46 PM
My parents babysit and also refuse to accept money. Every so often, I buy them gift certificates to the movie theater or a restaurant, a basket of muffins or fruit, a plant, anything I can think of. The other day, I ordered some PBS DVDs for them (The Art of Piano and The Art of Violin) because my dad mentioned that they no longer show classical music performances on PBS anymore and he missed them. Although, one time I bought a gift certificate to the mall for my mom, and she used it to buy stuff for the girls instead of herself!

papal
08-15-2005, 09:03 PM
Wait, she is the grandmom right?! You don't have to pay her in cash or kind! Sounds like she loves taking care of your son.. I know if it was my MIL or mom, just getting to spend time with their granddaughter would be payment enough!

aliceinwonderland
08-15-2005, 09:21 PM
same thing for my mom, she would get offended if I brought it up...Though, I did pay for her plane ticket to come watch DS at the last minute once... But that was mainly me being respectful and not completely a bitch of a daughter for basically summoning her to come because I overscheduled myself again...Which is actually the truth :)

hez
08-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Thank goodness my mom's only a 3 1/2 hour drive away! I almost summoned her this week (DH is in Germany) because my project team wanted me at a supplier for 2 days & I'd have to be gone overnight. When I asked if it was really worth getting my mom to come down to watch Payton (not to mention abandoning the other 4 projects I support), they backed off. So I guess you'd say I'm a bitch of a teammate. :)

Back to the original post. My mom's happy just to spend the time with Payton. But we've made her some special grandma gifts while she's here (things Payton can draw on and the like). Otherwise, she won't take a cent, either.

g-mama
08-16-2005, 08:09 AM
When I ask my MIL to watch my kids, I have never thought to give her a gift. She works full-time with her two days off being during the week and I sometimes plan appointments on those days knowing I can ask her to help me. I do have to bring the kids to her (45 mins away) since she hates driving on the beltway, but it still helps me out. She is always glad to help and doesn't view it as "help" at all really. She is happy to have them there any chance she can get and I know my mom would have felt the same way. I don't think you need to give a gift to the grandmother, but that's just me. :)

Oh, when ds #2 was born, MIL took a week off of work by getting her shifts covered by coworkers so she could come help me out, and in that instance, we paid her the money she lost by not working because she does rely on that money. We will do the same thing when #3 is born.

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
and a *THIRD BOY* coming in December '05

aliceinwonderland
08-16-2005, 08:29 AM
"Thank goodness my mom's only a 3 1/2 hour drive away!"

This is why I am even considering moving to the Midwest. The in-laws would be less than two hours away (not counting Chicago traffic). hehe.

momma_boo
08-16-2005, 08:40 AM
We just bought our IL's a digital picture frame from Brookstone. It displays digital pics in a slideshow format. When I get the time (ha ha!), I'm going to put together some pics of our DD's and the other grandkids.

It was pretty pricey ($300 for the larger size) but it basically takes the place of various gifts we haven't given them all year - birthday for each, anniversary gift and a thank you gift (she stayed w/ us for 2 weeks after DD#2 arrived).

Sillygirl
08-16-2005, 10:28 AM
Do you know what cosmetics she likes? I always find a nice bottle of lotion or whatever ridiculously expensive "skin serum" Shisedo is selling is a big hit with my MIL.

kensjen
08-16-2005, 11:04 AM
I agree that it is not necessary to get anything for her, (most) grandparents truly love to babysit their grandkids, and don't think of it as a job.

I am a photo person, and like to give photos in frames to the grandparents. I think it would be especially cute if you could get a nice shot of her holding your son, and capture that "grandma glow" she is sure to have. Then find a nice frame. I'm sure that would mean more to her than anything else.

You are so lucky to have her nearby! :)

proggoddess
08-16-2005, 11:49 AM
My parents are extremely hard to shop for because they already have everything they need and they are "low-maintenance" people. What I usually do is bake them a cake or invite them to dinner. Food is something that never collects dust on a shelf somewhere (unless it is fruitcake....) Try sending a gift basket of fruit or a cookie bouquet.

lisaE
08-16-2005, 01:40 PM
My mom used to come over once a week so I could run errands. After a while I went and bought her everything I could find in her favorite perfume line ("Boudoir" by Vivienne Westwood, BTW). I got her the perfume, lotion, powder, a purse-sized perfume, etc. She still talks about how wonderful and unexpected that was. I wanted to get her something to kind of pamper her, and something that would be JUST for her.

Marcy_O
08-16-2005, 07:42 PM
What great ideas! And yes, she does love spending time with him. She totally doesn't expect payment or gift of any sort at all, I guess this is more of a thank you gift because it has helped us out a lot while we have been looking for someplace to take him. She'll probably take him again next summer too when she is out of school. They too are very "low maintenance" folks. She likes to go to dinner and movies, but my FIL refuses either. Mary doesn't wear any makeup and I don't think she's used perfume since I've met her.

I thought about having my SIL get her a certificate for the two of them to go out for dinner the next time they visit. Though the picture idea sounds like a good one too...Keep up the ideas ladies! I really would like to do something special for her. They are extrememly generous people and they do so much for us, (other than watching Brighton) this is the least we can do.