PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with your video footage?

amck
08-17-2005, 12:49 PM
To all you creative moms and dads -

I've got all this raw video footage of DD that I've imported in to my computer with the intention of making it in to a movie (on dvd), but I'm stumped. Anyone have suggestions for use of all this video? Do you pick your favorite clips and put them to music? Or just string them together? Or are your tapes sitting on the shelf collecting dust like mine currently are? I LOVE that I've captured some of DDs really cool milestones, but what next? (And I'm a mac user with a really great, easy movie editing program, but I don't know the best way to utilize it!) DD is only 1 y/o so I'd like to make a "plan" for the video before it's out of control.

Thanks - Amanda

cuca_
08-17-2005, 01:03 PM
We don't do anything creative. Weburn DVDs send them to my parents and sometimes to other relatives, and keep one copy for us. We figure our DDs will love watching them as they are once they are a bit older. I'm interested to hear what others do, since we have an obscene amount of footage.

HTH

Carmen
DD May 2003
DD May 2005

ykc
08-17-2005, 01:05 PM
This is my husband's area (Mac FANATIC--loves iPhoto, iMovie, etc.), but I'll tell you what happens in our house: it all sits on the shelf collecting dust, figuratively-speaking. He's made a couple of short movies, but really doesn't have time to do anything more right now. We figure, it's all stored digitally, so it will all be there when there's time to edit.

But this is what I'd like: movies made up of favourite clips and still photos, put to music when there isn't audio in the movie that's important. We occasionally watch the videos of our daughter when she was a baby--very boring and repetitive with only a few shining moments here and there.

Have fun!

ETA: take a look at Jenn's video of her new baby's delivery (the thread is in this forum), but here's the link:
http://www.coryandjennifer.net/josephine.html

It's a really wonderful video (and my husband says it looks like it was made with iMovie)!

amck
08-17-2005, 05:28 PM
I thought it was made with iMovie too. That video was beautiful (and prompted my question about this.) I did put stills to music for the first year of her life (using iMovie). It was about 11 minutes long. Everyone who has seen it has loved it. I'm just stumped about this video footage. I've asked at the mac store if they ever had presentations of video work that parents have done, but they haven't. Usually they have professionals do presentations on fancy things they've done w/ their macs. Does your husband have any mac message boards that he likes where maybe I could post this question?

August Mom
08-17-2005, 05:51 PM
I pick my favorite clips and set them to music. I've thought about doing some voice overs, but I never have. However, we do have a lot of tapes collecting dust too. In DS's first year, we did a coming home from the hospital video, a milestone video, a meeting other people video and video of us as a family.

ykc
08-18-2005, 11:04 PM
I'll ask him tomorrow (I'm supposed to be in bed too...). He checks in with a bunch of Mac sites, but I think they're mostly tech-y. But he really likes the photo/movie stuff, so maybe he has some helpful ideas. Oh, and I think my BIL has made a few movies, so I'll ask him for input too (but he's in Alaska right now). If you don't hear from me in a few days, remind me!