PDA

View Full Version : Gift(s) for student mama to be??

aliceinwonderland
08-17-2005, 02:59 PM
A girl at my school is due in October. I think she's taking the semester off. I don't know her very well (or at all, actually), but am offering my support as this event (babies) is *so* rare at my school. I felt so alone last semester.

I think I'll get the nursing checklist from the Feeding forum (if I can find it) and do a little basket that way. And cook some meals the early days (though *I* will be in school, yikes)...I know she has no family near by. I'm meeting her for coffee soon, so I'll get a better idea of needs...

Any other ideas??

kensjen
08-17-2005, 04:05 PM
That is so nice of you!! Being there for her to talk, answer questions, etc...would probably be so helpful. She probably will feel so alone and will love to talk to someone in a similar situation.

If you know she is BF, I think the basket is a great idea. A lot of things new moms would not think aboutthat stuff, and it is nice to have it right there when you need it. Maybe give her some links to some good sites like kellymom, mothering, here if you would want that...I know my internet friends really helped save my sanity in those early months...and helped a lot with BF. You could also find the names of some good LCs in the area too, just in case she needs them.

As for making some meals for her...that would ROCK! I wish someone would have done that for me. IMO that is just priceless, and if that it is all you did, that would be more than enough. When you meet up with her you can figure out what she likes to eat (and her DH). I would hug and hug someone who would cook for me!! :) LOL

You have great ideas, and I'm sure she will be so grateful. Way to go, moms need to stick together and give support!! I love hearing about it!

aliceinwonderland
08-17-2005, 05:25 PM
Though her inclination to do so may have changed after I detailed my semester of pumping in a handicapped bathroom...LOL. I frequently wonder when talking to non-parents exactly when the information turns TMI...I mean, soon they will know nipples and let downs and leaks are fair territory, but, do you want to be the one to open their eyes :)

I also am giving her all the baby memorabilia (swing, bouncy, gymini, boppy) that I have not sold/donated yet.

new_mommy25
08-17-2005, 07:02 PM
That is so sweet of you!! If you are worried she might not breastfeed and don't want to do the basket then you can always get her a Miracle Blanket and a copy of The Happiest Baby on The BLock. I have done that gift before and it was a huge hit. If she goes back to school after a semester she will want a consistent way for people to put her baby to sleep.

aliceinwonderland
08-17-2005, 07:25 PM
ooh, good idea!! I'll add my owncopy to the pile of things I'm giving her, as thankfully our sleep problems are long gone now :)

She's giving birth in October and going back in January, so yes, sleep will be an issue. Thanks.