PDA

View Full Version : It Really is a Small World

hellokitty1
08-17-2005, 04:16 PM
I wanted to post this to give a shout out to "Corie" who in my book has become the queen of bargains because of her many posts in the Bargains forum. A few weeks ago, she mentioned Little People Dolls on clearance at Target. After literally 8 calls to my local Targets with no luck, Corie graciously offered to pick up Sonya Lee for me in Texas and ship it to me. She even threw in a LP toy from a Happy Meal (but she does not let her kids eat McD's ;-) )

So in exchanging addresses, she tells me her aunt/uncle live in the same city I do. On a whim, I ask her their names and it turns out they live in my neighborhood on the next block and I know them! I live in Cary, NC by the way and even though they call themselves a "town," they are large enough to count as a city. Neat conincidence, huh?

Well, then I get my package from Corie and I notice the box she used is from the company I work for. So again, on a whim, I ask her if her husband works for this company and lo and behold, he does!!! I see him in the company directory!

I just can't get over how true the cliche, "it's small world" really is. Anyway, I told Corie I would share the story on the Boards. She's such a cool cyber friend. And heck, now we could probably just send each other stuff though inter-office mail through the company and save on shipping!

Thanks for reading. Maybe Corie will decide to vist her aunt and uncle sometime so we can meet in person.

So, anyone else got any odd cyber stories like this?

jd11365
08-17-2005, 04:45 PM
Oh how fun! Who knew?! :)

jbowman
08-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Vivian, that is wonderful! Nothing quite that serendipitous has happened to me, but...

I've met some really nice people from the BBB--the reason that this is particularly *kool* is b/c I don't live in a big city, touristy place, etc. Lana's (crayonblue) family lives not far from me. I got to meet Lana and her DD while they were visiting family. And Lydia (babymama) came to the town where I live on business. Since then, we've visited each other a couple of times since we don't live too far from each other.

It is so kool to figure out what kind of connections there are! And FWIW, I think that I live relatively close to Corie--close by Texas standards at least ;).

aliceinwonderland
08-17-2005, 05:30 PM
After i decided where I would work this summer, I casually noticed the address of my summer office was a familiar street...Well, it's the same one that Tara (wagner) works :) I mean we are literally down the street from each other. And she has taken me to lunch many times already :):)

mamicka
08-17-2005, 05:52 PM
Very cool story!

Lynne (calebsmama03) & I live very close to each other (a couple miles, i think) & met through the boards. We've gotten together a couple times & I hope we can do it more often.

Allison

Corie
08-17-2005, 05:58 PM
You are totally cracking me up! Your first paragragh
makes me sound like some local hero. Okay, yes, we
did have a parade in my honor after the Sonya Lee incident!
What can I say? :)

By the way, I am mailing my 2 kids through inter-office
mail. I am in desperate need of a vacation!
Expect them at your desk tomorrow when the mail comes by! :)

I'm so lucky to have found the BBB! It's fun
to get on the boards and see the familiar names. I have
everyone pictured in my head and we all look like the
Charlie's Angels! :) (I get to be Farah Fawcett!)

Thanks for the shout out, Vivian!!

crayonblue
08-17-2005, 06:10 PM
That's really cool! I think Corie grew up or went to school in the town I was born and lived in for 8 years. (A very small town in Texas!)

A little over a year ago I met Melissa (zuzu) in the mall and posted about how I met this nice lady and her cute daughter and then Melissa posted and said it was her! We do not live in a small area so this was so small world!

I love it when things like this happen! When my SIL and BIL got married, they went to Ireland for their honeymoon. While in a pub, they met some other Americans. My SIL mentioned that her brother (my DH) was getting married (to me!) in a month in Texas. Through further conversation, they figured out that this family was from my hometown and new my younger brother!

Once in London, DH and I were leaving our hotel and DH saw a friend of his standing there. He had that happen while travelling in Toronto also. We have also been on flights with people we knew.

babystuffbuff
08-17-2005, 06:39 PM
Well, it's not a cyber story, but when DH and I were in Greece last summer for the Olympics, we sat across the aisle from another American couple on the bus ride back from the rowing venue. We started talking (because it was so nice to hear someone speaking English!) and it turns out that their son was attending the college where DH coaches! This is a very small school, less than 1,000 kids, so it really was an odd coincidence!

Sarah

crayonblue
08-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Jill,

You may not live in a touristy place, but I love your town! I have great memories of living there and working at a family camp there for summers in high school. We are actually thinking of going to this camp next summer!

MartiesMom2B
08-17-2005, 07:29 PM
I met Jen (iujen94) last weekend while we were volunteering at a consignment sale.

That's so cool how you two are connected.

-Sonia
Mommy to my Strawberry Shortcake lovin' Martie

jbowman
08-17-2005, 07:54 PM
Thanks, Lauren! I think it's nice too, especially during the Rose Festival ;)! That would be great if you're here next summer (and Lauren would love Discovery Science Place--a small children's museum)! And let me know when you visit again. I'd love to get together!

tarahsolazy
08-17-2005, 08:14 PM
I was shopping at our local suburban grocery store (HyVee), and a nice woman walked up to me and said, "you work at the hospital, right?". I could not place her face as a nurse or patient's mom, but I said yes. She said, "you're on the BBB, too, right?". It was Heidi, whose little guy is Max (can't remeber her username). She recognized Forrest from his avatar. He was lounging in the cart seat. Amazing, isn't it? Gotta go look her up and email her. We should have a play date! This is a suburb of a small midwest college town.

Jennifer, JElaineB, also lives near me, we've met once, but she works near me now, so we should definately have lunch...

I think Marcy O is also in the area...

houseof3boys
08-17-2005, 08:22 PM
LOL that everyone looks like they are on Charlie's Angels. I have visions of what some people look like too and boy are they pretty!

You go Farah! :)

JElaineB
08-17-2005, 09:31 PM
I go to the hosptial every day for lunch now...just let me know when! :)

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

brittone2
08-17-2005, 10:13 PM
I hope she doesn't mind me posting this, but Holli (Holliam) and I got our families together shortly after DH and I moved to NC. She had another couple over as well for a small gathering. We started talking about how we moved from PA, etc. etc. THey asked where in PA. We narrowed it down and finally realized they used to live in the exact same very very very small town in PA we came from (certainly less than 2000 people). What are the odds???

Small, small, small world.

Every time I'm out and about and see a mama w/ a cool stroller or a cool sling I have to wonder if they are from the BBB. Saw a mama at the mall recently with the coolest looking mei-tei and I almost had to ask her. She just LOOKED like a BBB mama to me LOL.

pb&j
08-18-2005, 08:34 AM
Also not a cyber-story, but....

Years ago, I was a flight instructor at a big flight school in FL, and worked with a guy who was from the UK, and ended up not being able to renew his work visa. Last I heard, he was heading back to the UK to convert all his FAA pilot licenses into JAA (European) licenses, which is a lengthy, rigorous process. A few years later, a friend of mine got a Fulbright to study at the University of Bergen in Norway, and I was planning to visit her. And guess who was in her Norweigian class? Yep, my old coworker! He never did get his JAA pilot certification - when he started the process, he began having some vision trouble, which actually turned out to be a symptom of Type I diabetes, which disqualifies you from flying. So he decided to study meterology in Bergen instead! And when I visited my friend, I got to hang out with my old coworker. It was entirely surreal.

-Paige,
mom to Emma, s/b 11/04/04
and Max, edd 01/15/06 - it's a BOY!

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

holliam
08-18-2005, 09:10 AM
LOL! Beth, that was the same "small world" scenario I was thinking of too. That was just too funny. Don't forget that the guys also went to the same college!

The added small world-ness of it is that the woman in the other couple was one of my best friends from high school who I hadn't spoken to since about '87 and we both managed to end up in the Triangle area after all these years!

Holli