PDA

View Full Version : Miracle blanket causes dissociation????

barbarhow
08-17-2005, 09:13 PM
At least that is what a somewhat air headed acquaintance of mine told me over the weekend....Now I do not know whether or not this is true and am interested in hearing if someone has information about this-please if you do-educate me, educate us. I would hate to have all of us 15 years down the line find out that swaddling like this is a "horrible" thing to do.
Regardless-the way that she started the topic-"Her body will separate from her sould...." etc. She is quite the loon whether she is correct or not.......
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

redhookmom
08-17-2005, 09:30 PM
What!? Swaddling is a bad thing? I refuse to believe it. ;)

barbarhow
08-17-2005, 09:31 PM
She made me feel totally guilty because she told me this after I mentioned how Anna sleeps 10 hours with it...

JElaineB
08-17-2005, 09:46 PM
I really have no idea, but it seems to me it would be the opposite. My memory is hazy, but I saw a Dr. Phil episode (I think) once, where there was a kid (maybe 8 or 9) who had some "wild" episodes (I don't remember his exact diagnosis, but it was physically violent type things) and his parents were taught to physically restrain him (basically tightly hug him, full body) for a period of time to get him to calm down. It worked really well from what I can remeber. Thus I think tight holding can actually help "integrate" a person rather than the opposite. So I don't know why swaddling would be any different.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

jd11365
08-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Is that "Her body will separate from her soul?" You're kidding right?

Our kids are going to have plenty to tell us about how we did it all wrong...just like we do to our parents. So, I wouldn't worry about it, and just do what you feel is right in the moment. And for the record, I certainly think swaddling is right in this moment, so swaddle away! :)

barbarhow
08-17-2005, 09:58 PM
Yup. That's what she said. It kind of stopped the conversation at dinner.
I agree with the idea that our kids will have plenty to tell us.... As much as I want to be a perfect parent I try to be fairly realistic in realizing that it is pretty much impossible. And right now the 10 hours of sleep that Anna is getting is pretty wonderful-for both of us it seems.

kensjen
08-17-2005, 10:00 PM
HUH??

Not sure what she bases this statement on...but I can't say that I would agree with it.

I think that if I hadn't swaddled Jonah, MY body would have separated from my soul. LOL It was a lifesaver for us, and was the one thing that settled him down to sleep.

If it is working for you, keep it up! :) veryone has their opinions on how other people raise their children.

ykc
08-17-2005, 10:01 PM
Huh?!!

I happen to think swaddling is a good thing. But even if it's not--though I don't see how it can actually be bad for a baby--what about being squished in the womb?--I'm pretty sure (no scientific evidence, just gut instinct, common sense, basic reasoning) that it does NOT cause the body to separate from the soul.

I'm fascinated...I want to know how swaddling does that..who knew that swaddling could be such a powerful force in a baby's life?

MarisaSF
08-17-2005, 10:02 PM
Well, if her body has separated from her soul, god bless the 10 hours it takes her to find it again! I'd pay good money for a product that could hide it somewhere even trickier. :)

What is that woman smoking?

kristine_elen
08-17-2005, 10:47 PM
I would suggest to her that she provide some evidence of this; the study she is quoting from, etc. It sounds off-base to me, but I'm willing to listen to all sides if she can do more than just make the (unsupported) statement.

MarisaSF
08-17-2005, 11:26 PM
Yeah, the controlled study of souls. I'd love to see that one.

Perhaps she's alluding to something related to autism or some sort of (emotional, not "soul") attachment disorder?

I am singing "Soul Man" in my head right now and picturing my DH with his arms swaddled and his soul drifting off. He's looking at me funny. Yes, honey?? Gotta go! LMBO!

VClute
08-18-2005, 05:39 AM
HA! That's a good one! Thanks for the laugh!

Amy in NC
mom to Dixon, born 2/14/05

papal
08-18-2005, 07:47 AM
She crazy. They have been swaddling babies for centuries (at least in India). All bodies and souls are together and intact. Tell her to mind her own beeswax.

Calmegja2
08-18-2005, 08:05 AM
Sometimes, in certain conversations, there is great use to be made of a wide open smile, and no comment at all.

I have a friend who passionately believes in both past lives and the ability to leave her body at night and fly around her hometown. She also believes her children can do this.

I just smile. And smile. There's nothing I can say, in that situation, you know?

Rachels
08-18-2005, 08:15 AM
Oh, good grief. That's just crazy. Babies have been swaddled since the beginning of blankets. If it made babies crazy to be tightly secured, then pregnancy would pretty much do everybody in, no? And dissociation as a condition has nothing to do with the separation of body and soul, even IF something like helping a baby feel secure could cause it. Eyeroll.

My official psychological opinion is that this is horse caca.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!
(Holy smokes, it's a boy!!!)

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

ribbit1019
08-18-2005, 09:32 AM
All I can do is laugh.
I don't understand how a baby could seperate from her soul just by being tightly surrounded. If this were true, I bet I would be having serious issues since I frequently wake up with my blankets tightly wrapped around me. I have been this way since I was a kid, no soul losing on my end (so far). LOL! Gotta love looney people's comments.

Christy
Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
Little Peanut due 03/02/05
http://lilypie.com/days/060301/4/0/0/-5/.png

Aarohismom
08-18-2005, 10:33 AM
LOL Rashmi! Thanks for the laugh!

mamahill
08-18-2005, 12:04 PM
You can't reason with crazy. I agree with the big smile and nodding your head. But like others have said, people have been swaddling babies since there WERE babies. I still prefer to sleep with covers (even when it's hot) because to sleep without makes me feel too exposed. I've been out of the womb for almost 30 years - how could I possibly expect my 5-month-old to feel any better?

crayonblue
08-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Jesus was wrapped in swaddling clothes when he was placed in the manger! :) I doubt God would have let Mary do something harmful to Jesus! Sounds like hooey to me.

bunnisa
08-18-2005, 01:05 PM
Hmm. So if I wear a tight-fitting wetsuit, my soul will leave my body? What if my bra's too tight?

"Sorry, officer, I didn't see the light because my soul left my body when my seatbelt tightened."

What a wacko. And that's all I'll say, to be nice. ;)

Bethany
mom to one and one on the way!
http://lilypie.com/days/060226/0/8/1/-6/.png
"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-J. Torres

papal
08-18-2005, 01:07 PM
>My official psychological opinion is that this is horse caca.

OMG!! I just spewed some water on the keyboard!!! LOL.

papal
08-18-2005, 01:08 PM
Oh my! LMAO!!!

trentsmom
08-18-2005, 01:10 PM
>Jesus was wrapped in swaddling clothes when he was placed in
>the manger!

That was the first thing I thought of!

crayonblue
08-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Chantel,

I just remembered I was going to email you and ask for your crock-pot bean recipe that you brought to the BBB retreat!

alkagift
08-18-2005, 01:59 PM
Barbara,
This is when one of my favorite sayings is sooooo appropriate.

"Better to be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt." --Mark Twain

And my mother's mantra, "Humor the insane!"

Allison
Mommy to Matthew, who is TWO!

Are you TTC and want to share with BBB friends? Join us! http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/BBB_TTC/

jamsmu
08-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Hmmmm... seems to me that as we are swaddling, we are keeping everything together. How could the soul leave?

Have to say, I haven't laughed as hard in a while as I did reading the responses here!! (of course, laughing this hard is NOT a good thing at almost 39 weeks!)

Thank goodness we're all laughing. I'd hate to think what my basement would look like if everyone refused the blankets due to Barbara's acquaintence's comments!

tbriese
08-18-2005, 02:59 PM
oh my gosh...i was ROTFL (did i get that right?) my butt off!!!

saschalicks
08-18-2005, 04:09 PM
When I read this all I thought of was poor Julie if all of us believe Barbara's friend.

I think she needs her soul examined to see if maybe she left with her head somewhere.

zen_bliss
08-21-2005, 06:39 PM
i thought i *had* to have read that wrong. you're a more poised person than i to not have burst out laughing!

one wonders if she is also in favor of roomy incubation outside that meddlesome swaddling uterus?

alexsmommy
08-21-2005, 06:54 PM
Another psychologist on the horse caca bandwagon. Good grief - the guilt others try to impose on people for not parenting in the exact same way they did.
Alaina
Alex 2-4-03

Rachels
08-21-2005, 07:25 PM
Lol! Well, all that school has to be good for something. ;)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!
(Holy smokes, it's a boy!!!)

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!