PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Tales on PBS - what age group is it geared towards?

babymama
08-19-2005, 10:57 AM
Santiago likes this show and we like that it's broadcast in SAP - so it reinforces his Spanish.

I can't figure out what age group it's geared toward. Anyone know?

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03 and
One on the way, due 01/03/06

psophia17
08-19-2005, 11:18 AM
I think the storylines are geared towards slightly older kids, maybe the 5-8 year old crowd, but DS gets a big kick out of the dragons and the songs, so we watch it. Although the storylines are much more complex than Barney (or similar), I don't think they're too busy in any way. Plus it's my favorite of all the PBS shows, except for Mr. Rogers ;)

babymama
08-19-2005, 11:32 AM
Santiago loves dancing to the Dragon Tales songs. I like them too!

Thanks for the info about the age range.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03 and
One on the way, due 01/03/06

ykc
08-19-2005, 11:50 AM
I think it's geared toward 4-6 yos in terms of plots. The nearly 5yo discusses the storyline and sings the songs; the 23mo likes it too, but I don't think he's paying any attention to the story.

In our family, Dora is the bomb!

P.S. What's SAP?

NEVE three BUGS and a BEE
08-19-2005, 12:17 PM
I always assumed it was for younger kids and shrugged it off that they liked it thinking it might be simple...when they first came home this was their favorite show. Reichen seemed to really love it.

I would let him enjoy it for Tristan too would watch but I am not convinced Tristan understood it at that point like his brothers did.

Momof3Labs
08-19-2005, 02:08 PM
Colin loves watching Dragon Tales but doesn't seem to follow the story like he does in other shows (Blues Clues, Dora, other Noggin shows). So I'd agree, probably 4-6 years or 5-7 years.

g-mama
08-19-2005, 02:17 PM
Paolo has loved Dragon Tales (his favorite show) since he was almost 2 and still loves it at almost 5 - definitely the longest lasting show for him. Many other shows have come and gone in their ability to keep him interested. I know many parents of 5yo's though who say their kids are no longer into it, so I'm not sure 6-7 is it's target audience. That seems a little old to me.

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
and a *THIRD BOY* coming in December '05