PDA

View Full Version : if you're 21 month was barely saing words would u call

TraciG
08-19-2005, 12:17 PM
would u call early intervention ??? Her doc thinks she wont qualify since she understands everything ( except no ! ) she says no, up dis ( this ) daaa ( daddy ) hi

crl
08-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Yes! The way it works here (and I think probably everywhere) is that they do an evaluation. So they determine whether your child needs services. I called myself--they accept self-referrals.

DS was evaluated very recently at 25 months and he says alot of words (probably at least 50), but not very clearly. They placed him at 18-20 months for expressive language, so he is eligible for their services. He's AHEAD for receptive language (understands everything, just like your DD.) But he's still eligible for services.

Here the evaluation is free and then services are available on an income-contingent basis or they will work with your insurance company--whichever you prefer.

DS had a great time during the evaluation, which took two hours. They evaluated all development areas, even though there were some (gross motor) that I was not at all concerned about. The evaluation took place in our home.

Sorry so long, hope that helps!

DDowning
08-19-2005, 12:40 PM
I did this with Carson. He was at the same age as your DD and basically had the same comprehension skills. He qualified. Though there was nothing else lacking in development category, the person that did the evaluation said that some kids just need a "kick in the diaper to get going." Some people will likely chime in and tell you there's nothing wrong with her development. Just go with what will feel right for your family. For me personnally, I needed to do something because the grunts, whines and frustration tantrums to try and communicate with us were driving me insane. He's been in the program for 3 months now and he's made a huge improvement. He's likely now up to about 30 words now and starting to put 2 words together (please cookie, please juice). We only qualified for 6 months, 1 hour a week, but I've been very pleased with his progress.

ETA: When Carson had his evaluation they pegged him at the 12 month development level for expressive speech. He was recently updated to about the 15-18th level. We're on our way!

NEVE three BUGS and a BEE
08-19-2005, 12:47 PM
Traci I tip toe around advice like that since all kids are different so my response doesn't say a "yes" or "no" to that one, but hope someone else will know.

But I did want to share I kind of hoped for early intervention with Tristan for thru these boards it seemed like you learned so much from it.

Tristan said few words at age 21 and even in Ukraine and once home a few weeks I was clearly "danam" and not even "mom"...I worried too...

Now he speaks in sentences that I can not even believe a 2 year old can say. though I doubt it is anymore than others I am floored by what he says now and the peristent way he tries to get across what he is saying.

I hope your Ped can answer...for they look at the child and see the child...but did want to share our experience. AND if your Ped sends you I would take advantage of it- I think it was Beth who shared how much she learned during their therapy and I think what a wonderful opportunity to educate on speech etc...

Keep us posted...
I hope you babe is like T just taking it all in till ready!!!!

TraciG
08-19-2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks everyone, I called a little while ago & gave Sydney's info, in a few days someone will get back to me. My doc just gave me a piece of paper with the Early Intervention pnone # on it, is that a refferal ?????????

nofeea
08-19-2005, 01:56 PM
Hi,

I'm an SLP (Speech-Language Pathologist). I haven't worked since DD was born almost 3 years ago so I'm not sure about EI requirements right now, but you'll probably qualify. It's a great sign that your DD understands everything-she'll probably catch up pretty quickly.
Honestly, if you did nothing she would eventually learn to talk anyway :) but therapy can probably speed things up and help reduce frustration all around. Sometimes a little extra stimulation (and some tips for Mom and Dad) can really mke a difference.

Go for it... Good Luck!

brittone2
08-19-2005, 02:02 PM
ITA. Get the eval and decide from there. They usually evaluate expressive and receptive language seperately so DD may qualify based on her expressive vocab. What I always say is that even if they don't qualify, the evaluating therapist(s) will often provide suggestions for things you can do at home to speed things along a bit.
EI is a great program and if DD qualifies, it might just give her a little boost to get going, kwim?

kensjen
08-19-2005, 03:57 PM
I would get the evaluation. It really can't hurt. And when needed it can be so helpful.

As others have said, they will at least be able to give you tips to encourage speech.

jhaud
08-19-2005, 07:55 PM
Another in related profession...i am an audiologist (and worked as both slp (speech) and audiologist in public schools until dd!)

i would definately get the eval if you are interested/concerned/curious.. as pp said you do not have to accept services if dd qualifies. also in NY (where my brother lives and their 2yo is receiving services) they can re-eval every 2 or 3 mo (don't remember which)... he was understanding but not producing and since starting speech his vocabulary has blossomed... he is also talking much more... and signing some!... it definately won't hurt and as pp said it may just speed up the process!

good luck,

jennifer

AngelaS
08-20-2005, 06:23 AM
My oldest said only about 3 words at her second birthday. She signed tho---does your baby sign?

We didn't have her tested since she was communicating and now....she won't shut up! LOL :D