PDA

View Full Version : Gas allowance for babysitter?

Sarah1
08-19-2005, 06:34 PM
My babysitter is going to be driving Audrey to preschool 3 days a week starting next month. The preschool is about 3 miles from us...so six miles roundtrip...so let's say 20 miles a week.

Considering how expensive gas is these days (the latest price I saw in our area for reg unleaded was over $3! Yikes!) I feel like I should give her a weekly gas allowance in addition to paying her.

What do you think? And how much $$ do you think would be appropriate?

DebbieJ
08-19-2005, 06:53 PM
I think that's very generous.

If you and she already negotiated her rate, which included her reponsibility to drive Audrey, then I think it's unnecessary. It's a job-related expense for her. However, if she is good and you want to keep her, I'd give her a little something. I have no idea how much, though!

~ deb
DS born at home 12/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10029.gif

pritchettzoo
08-19-2005, 07:47 PM
She should be able to go 20 miles on about one gallon, so if anything, $5 a week would be plenty.

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

brigmaman
08-19-2005, 07:52 PM
I have to preface this by saying that I've been on the nanny end longer than I've been on the mommy end. :)
I think it is a great idea. I guess you could assume that even if she gets 15 miles to the gallon, and that gas is close to $3.00/gallon ($3.10 here yesterday) then you could give her $5 or $6/week. Any job where I've been asked to drive during the workday (retail,landscaping and teaching) has compensated me for gas/wear and tear. :)

JMS
08-19-2005, 09:04 PM
It's a relatively small gesture but may go a long way in terms of her happiness. I definitely think it's a good idea especially in light of the other posters' suggestions of about $5 since that's about what it will cost her in gas. Maybe give her a $20 and say, "here's some gas money for the next month to cover taking Audrey to school".

HannaAddict
08-19-2005, 10:44 PM
That is a great idea. For a pretty small investment, you will be known as the best client ever! I would say $5 a week or so, or like another poster said, just give her an extra $20 and tell her it is for gas for the month. I think it is totally appropriate too, since even professionals are reimbursed for their gas/mileage when they drive for their job (not to the job).

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

nov04
08-20-2005, 12:42 AM
Very kind idea on your part!!!!!

jenmcadams
08-20-2005, 08:35 AM
My babysitter/nanny drives Abbie to music classes, to a municipal water park, the library, etc. She probably drives 40 miles a week minimum on the two days she's here and we've always included gas $$. I give her an extra $15/week (which is far more than the cost of gas), but I also don't tip her on a regular basis and just figure I didn't want her to think I was being cheap on the gas front. For your situation, I think an extra $5 would be fine and much appreciated.

JBaxter
08-20-2005, 08:47 AM
Since the gas has gone up quite a lot I think an extra $5 a week would be a very nice thing to offer.
Jeana
http://tickers.baby-gaga.com/t/eleeleard20031115_-5_Nathan+is.png[/img][/url]