PDA

View Full Version : So much talk lately about teflon lately...

marit
08-19-2005, 06:55 PM
Made me think I need to reconsider my fry pans. I make an omlette for my DD almost every night, so I guess the teflon stuff can add up :-( On the other hand, I don't want to use too much oil. I saw that Calphalon has a line which they claim is "non stick" without really being a non stick. I am talking about the "Calphalon One Infused Anodized". In their website they say: "Calphalon One lets you brown, sear, sauce and cook exactly the way you want, without being at the mercy of sticking, staining or tough clean-up".

My question is: Does anyone have it? Is it really not as sticky as stainless steel? can I make an omlette with just, say, a cooking spray?

Oh, and one more thing. What do you think about this deal http://cgi.ebay.com/WOW-CALPHALON-ONE-INFUSED-ANODIZED-14PC-COOKWARE-SET_W0QQitemZ4399511219QQcategoryZ20629QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Is it too good to be true?

Thanks!

elliput
08-19-2005, 07:16 PM
I don't have the infused anodized, but I always thought of it has having teflon in it. Just to check I went to the Calphalon site and this is what is says about the infused anodized - "interior and exterior surfaces of the pans are infused with an advanced release polymer". Here is the link to the page http://www.calphalon.com/calphalon/consumer/products/subProductLine.jhtml?location=LOC00030&attributeId=CLPA220003¤tType=CLPAT000003

I am not sure exactly what they mean by an advanced release polymer, but it sounds like another term for teflon to me.

psophia17
08-19-2005, 11:18 PM
I make omelettes all the time, and never use non-stick pans to do it...maybe this method will help someone!

First I turn the heat to high, and set the pan on it. Once it's hot, I give a liberal spray of Pam (or whatever), and add a little butter (margarine works too, but oil is tricky b/c it doesn't melt). When the butter is bubbly (it'll sort of foam up), I add the eggs and turn the heat to low. For a flat omelette, I leave it be, flipping the whole thing over when I can see that the top has only a little runny egg left. For a fluffy omelette, I immediately turn the pan around and scrape the cooked egg into the center of the pan (from the outside edges in, if that makes sense) until there's no runny egg left.