PDA

View Full Version : OT: Cash gifts to daycare teachers???

marit
08-19-2005, 07:42 PM
It is the end of the year at my DD's daycare and we want to give her two teachers a gift. A good friend of mine, whose DD is also going to this daycare, said she is just giving cash. She said many of the teacher's husbands lost their jobs, and you never really know what they want/need. She used to give gift cards, but then realized they would really appreciate cash more. (BTW, it's her 4th year there and my first).It feels very awkward to me, so I thought, maybe some general purpose gift card, like American express? Where do I buy something like that? Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

ykc
08-19-2005, 08:00 PM
If giving cash makes you uncomfortable, how about a gift card to the mall or to Target/equivalent, i.e. somewhere they can buy necessities. Or, how about Amazon?

On the other hand, if money is really tight, maybe they would appreciate a gift card for a small splurge for themselves. I've given gift cards to the bookstore (locally it's B.Dalton's, but you can order from B&N online too) and to Panera Bread. Starbucks or your local equivalent and Body Shop/Bath & Body Works are other ideas I've had.

I feel awkward enough giving gift cards, which have $ amounts listed, so I can totally understand why you hesitate to give cash. Whatever you do, though, it's the thought that counts, right?

jamsmu
08-19-2005, 08:05 PM
I think that giving cash is extremely inappropriate. It is awkward to accept, and often not permitted. Gift Certificates are much better. Though I hate stating a monetary value, so I usually give a gift for something like this.

Favorite gift certs I received as a teacher:
Barnes and Noble
Spa
Parent/teacher store

Favorite gifts I received as a teacher:
USABLE, not cutesy, items like a platter that matched my pattern at my home
Relevant magazine subscription

jk3
08-20-2005, 10:12 AM
I think a gift certificate is a great gift! If you have a local mall, often you can buy gift certificates to the mall.

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

http://lilypie.com/baby2/030603/2/5/1/-5/.png

nicoleandjackson
08-20-2005, 10:40 PM
I agree that cash is a little awkward (good for nieces/nephews/grandkids/etc., but otherwise...) I think gift cards for teachers are a great idea. I am friends with DS's teachers, so I know that they are big time Target shoppers--that makes birthday and Christmas presents easy :)! But the Amex gift cards are great as well--most bank branches (including those in grocery stores) sell them for a small fee (like $2.50 or so). If you are near a large mall, a mall gift card would be nice too.

You can combine gift cards to make a theme: dinner and a movie (local or chain restaurant + Blockbuster/AMC/Cineplex gift card); relaxing weekend (Starbucks/Caribou + Borders/Barnes & Noble gift cards), etc.

HTH!

Nicole
Mommy of Jackson 4/30/02

Who's the Biggest Boy? It's Jackson!
http://lilypie.com/baby4/020430/1/2/1/-6/.png[/img][/url]

ctmom
08-21-2005, 06:34 AM
what about a gift certificate for a manicure and/or pedicure...you pay for the service so the amount is usually not on the paper and the teacher gets a special treat...