PDA

View Full Version : Why is he crawling on one leg?

Sillygirl
08-19-2005, 08:53 PM
Jonathan learned to crawl last month, and he's been working on standing lately. He can pull up to standing in his crib, can go up one stair, and can make a "table" of himself from a sitting position. But last night he was super fussy, waking up four times and a little hard to settle back down. And today I get home from work and he's been kind of clingy with the nanny all day. And when he crawled around on the floor, he would have his left leg bent in the usual crawling position, weight on his knee, but his right leg, he would plant that foot on the ground and kind of "walk" with that leg. Nothing seemed painful or warm to touch or bruised. And a couple times he tried to get both legs going in a "walking" mode rather than a crawling one.

So is he just transitioning from crawling to something closer to walking? I know kids come up with innovative ways of moving around, but I had thought that was usually instead of crawling, not replacing it. Except for the fussiness/ clinginess, he's not looking sick. If anyone else's DC has done this, I'd love to hear it. TIA.

sarahsthreads
08-19-2005, 10:13 PM
Carrie's a week older than Jonathan, and she does this often. She definitely knows how to crawl properly, but sometimes she uses a foot and a knee or tries to use both feet. She does it most often when wearing a jumper or dress, because her knees get caught up in the fabric of the dress, but she also does it in pants, shorts, or just a diaper sometimes.

I wouldn't worry too much if you can move his legs all around and he doesn't seem to be in pain, but if you are worried I'm sure his ped. can reassure you! Oh, and Carrie's also been doing random nights of super fussiness and days of super clingy-ness lately. (Actually, the clingy days always follow the fussy nights, presumably because she's tired from being up half the night!)

Sarah :)

linsei
08-19-2005, 10:20 PM
My ds crawled like that right before he started walking. I really thought it was strange at the time, but it was just another skill he learned. ;)

Linda

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040428/1/5/1/-5/.png[/img][/url]

lilycat88
08-19-2005, 10:59 PM
We had that here as well just before DD took off walking. She also tends to get fussy/clingy right at new milestone aquisition time.

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

Saartje
08-19-2005, 11:53 PM
When DS did this, DH called it "crawling like a pirate." My brother, I've learned, calls it "crab crawling," and at least one his kids and some of my siblings did it. That may give you some idea how common it is. ;) And I agree with the pps who noted that fussiness often accompanies an impending milestone.

MarisaSF
08-20-2005, 12:05 AM
It's the "step" right before walking. You've got an almost-toddler!

Sillygirl
08-20-2005, 03:34 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Jonathan is up again tonight at 4 am, but this time has a low grade fever (100.8.) This is his first fever, so I won't lie and say I'm not worried, but I'd be frantic if I didn't have some assurance that the walking thing is normal and in my heart I feel is not related. So thanks again. Off to give a little Tylenol. . .