PDA

View Full Version : OT- How do you know how much a piece of art is worth?

trumansmom
08-20-2005, 12:49 AM
DH has this butt-ugly print he got before we got married that we were getting ready to toss today. At the last minute, we decided since it was signed and numbered to do a search on the painter, just in case. Sure enough, this same print (framed) is listed in a couple of sites on-line in the $1,000 to $1,500 range. Too much to just toss! And it is SERIOUSLY ugly!!

We were thinking of ebaying it. It is not framed, but it's in perfect condition. I have no idea what value to put on it. Any ideas?

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

MarisaSF
08-20-2005, 01:01 AM
Your trash, as they say, is somebody's treasure. Even though it's worth a lot more, it's not worth anything to you, so I'd start it at $20, $50. If there's a market, the bidding will soar to what it's worth to others. That is, just because the same print is offered at $1000 eleswhere doesn't mean it's selling for that, iykwim. Starting it low will get more people interested and your goal is to get rid of it; you don't want no bids and then to deal with the hassle of offering it again. Also, you'll be happy if you get $200, right?

Sooooo.... can we see a pic of how ugly it is? I'm really curious now! I promise I won't be offended if it's my favorite artist! ;)

trumansmom
08-20-2005, 01:25 AM
***Edited because the actual picture showed up when I thought I had just posted a link!***

Thanks for the help. I told DH someone here would know what to do!!

He paid $100 for it at a silent auction 15 years ago. We would be happy just to make that back! One thing we've noticed is that it doesn't show up on very many of the auction sites where this guy's stuff is listed, so we're hoping that means it's in demand. Or it could mean that nobody else likes it either!

I'm now feeling the need to equivocate on the ugliness of it. Maybe it's not THAT hideous, it's just really, really, really not my style at all!

Here it is:

http://www.cruisingoods.com/motorcyclephotos/precbg.jpg

Blech! But it is making me want to go clean out closets!!

One more question, I know it's a good thing that it's numbered, but does the actual number make a difference? I think it's like 14/280.

Thanks again,

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/01 and Eleanor 4/04
Independent Consultant, Do-Re-Me & You!

MarisaSF
08-20-2005, 06:13 AM
OMG! So not my style either. It's a picture of dirt (to me)!

Well, in your ebay title, in addition to the artist, definitely make sure to put something about cars or vintage cars /jeeps/motorcycle/mechanic. It might appeal to a collector of that type of thing.

Definitely include the number. Prints get numbered in the order they are printed. Yours was the 14th out of a batch of 280. The lower the number in front, the more valuable. Also, the relatively low denominator means your bidding winner is getting something only 279 other people are proud(?) to own!

Thanks for the chuckle!

ETA: Sorry, I misread your original post and thought you had received it as a wedding gift. That made it even funnier to me. Well, since your DH paid for it, "added it to his collection" if you will, list it for $50/$75 and I bet it will go over $100. Use a very safe shipping method to retain the mint condition. Before posting it on ebay, I'd take it to a frame shop and get a box and estimate cost of shipping.

jd11365
08-20-2005, 06:16 AM
Nothing like a picture of a junkyard to make your house feel like home. ;)

Good luck, I'm sure someone is going to love it...just doesn't have to be you!

jbowman
08-20-2005, 08:49 AM
Jeanne,

First of all, you are wise not to have it framed. Framing can damage a print, so this helps the value. And the number in this case probably doesn't mean too much. There is a lot of consistency with modern printing (ie #14 doesn't look much different from #243), so a lower number doesn't add much value to it. That said, the fact that it is numbered and signed and that it is a limited edition of 280 is meaningful and adds value.

HTH!