PDA

View Full Version : OT - Do vellum envelopes require more postage?

Jenn98
08-20-2005, 11:53 AM
We sent out our birth announcements on Thursday (all 100 of them) and in today's mail two came back with a sticker that says "Returned for 12 cents postage surcharge..." I'm nervous that in Monday's mail is going to be the other 98 announcements all looking for an additional 12 cents! The envelopes are regular size (4.5 x 5.5) and there is no way that they weigh too much - there's just the card and a photo in there. The only thing I can think of is if vellum envelopes cost more to mail for some stupid reason? Anyone know? I wish it weren't Saturday so the post office wouldn't be closed already. grrr.....

Jenn

bostonsmama
08-20-2005, 12:38 PM
My step BIL works for the post office. Here's the deal from usps's website:
First-Class Letter Nonmachinable Surcharge:

First-Class envelopes weighing 1 ounce or less require an additional $0.12 nonmachinable surcharge if any one of the following apply:

It is a square letter
It contains very rigid items such as wood or metal
It has clasps, string, buttons, or similar closure devices
It has an address parallel to the shorter dimension of the letter
It contains items such as pens that cause the surface to be uneven
**The length divided by height is less than 1.3 or more than 2.5 (calculate this below)

If your envelope is 5.5 long by 4.5 wide, the ratio is 1.222.

So yes, you're going to get a surcharge for all of them!! Boo hoo. THat totally sucks! When I ordered my wedding invitations, I only selected a style I knew wouldn't require extra postage.

Larissa
who is still trying to give birth so she can have more to say

psophia17
08-20-2005, 01:32 PM
I hate that kind of USPS BS. I once had half the Christmas cards I sent out returned for more postage, and the other half the mailperson went to the door of the house and asked for the $ from the recipient. It was mortifying...

Here's hoping some of them slip through!

Jenn98
08-20-2005, 02:27 PM
Are you kidding me?! That's insane. The envelope looks totally normal - it's not a weird size at all. And technically, the envelope is 4.5 x 5.75, which gives me a ratio of 1.278 - so, I'm .022 off! how insane....ughhhh....

I'm happy to report that my MIL got her announcement in her mailbox today, so some are slipping through. But I'm horrified that, like the PP, the post office will ask the recipients for the extra 12 cents. I'd much rather they were returned to me!!

UGGGHHHH - maybe I should move this thread to the b!tching post? ;)

Thanks for the insight - even if it's a sucky answer! :)

Jenn