PDA

View Full Version : Teeth experts...is this probably some toddler tooth decay?

brittone2
08-20-2005, 03:30 PM
Ugggh. We're very good about brushing DS's teeth at least 1x per day, although I know we probably should brush 2 or 3x. He just absolutely hates it no matter what we do, so it involves holding him down usually. He'll let us brush willingly if we let him brush our teeth or whatever for about 10 sec., but that's it. So it isn't a fun thing around here. I've always gotten fronts and backs well. We eat virtually no sugar and he's not a big solids eater so not much in the way of crackers, pretzels, etc. either. He's still BFing at 18 mo and isn't nightweaned, and there is no way in h-e-double hockey sticks that he's going to be nightweaned as he would absolutely go bonkers.

When I tip him backwards and we're playing, I can see a small amount of yellowish to very light brown (sounds worse than it is) on the posterior aspect of his left upper central incisor (not sure if I'm naming it correctly...the big tooth in the front, up top, left hand side LOL). The shape of his upper teeth is such that the back of them toward the top has a slightly convex shape...kind of like a divet in golf...naturally (nothing to do w/ the brown spot). The darkening is in that little "divet" on one side, a very very small area of the tooth.

He hasn't had iron drops so it isn't iron staining. It hasn't gotten better or worse that I can tell in the past month or so since I noticed it. I guess I should be getting him to a pediatric dentist? That should be loads of fun considering he hates ME brushing his teeth let alone someone else poking around in there.

No problems from the front other than a teensy bit of yellowing that is barely noticeable and usually scrapes off...only on the top two uppers. Barely noticeable, and the stuff going on behind the front of one tooth isn't noticeable from the front eitehr, just when I tip him backwards.

So...break it to me. I guess this is 98% most likely some form of tooth decay?? Uggggh. DH and I have had minimal cavities and not until our teens at that. I am bummed if he's got a cavity already!

edited to fix description a bit.

JBaxter
08-20-2005, 04:23 PM
I would make him an appointment w/ a dentist Monday. Your dentist may be able to take a look at the tooth with out refering him to a ped dentist ( unless you already know a good one). It may be some natural staining in the groove ( in the golf divet part) Keep it brushed I know the toddler brushing battle from a moms view and a hygienist view. Really really try to get them brushed well at night before he goes to bed if he is prone to decay and some kids just are brushing will not be optional for him.
Jeana

brittone2
08-20-2005, 05:14 PM
well we just moved out of state so I don't have a dentist for myself yet, so we might as well see a ped dentist I guess.

We definitely force the issue and DS does get at least one thorough brushing per day...not optional. I've tried all the tricks I've read and they work for about 10 seconds on him :( We do definitely do it regardless of whether he's happy about it though. I dread it, but we do it anyway.

Thanks so much for the advice...crossing my fingers it goes well ;)

smilequeen
08-20-2005, 10:05 PM
It sounds possible, hard to say. If you can get in with a ped dentist, I would just have it checked. They can be booked up pretty far in advance, so a general dentist could look at it too...you just have to ask if they see young children (even if they wouldn't treat a child his age, they can look...).

brittone2
08-21-2005, 08:06 AM
Thanks Karen! I'll see if someone can look at it.