PDA

View Full Version : Coming out of the closet

pb&j
08-20-2005, 09:54 PM
Okay, it's time to fess up. Paige is NOT my real name! Well, it is, it's just not my first name. But poor MarisaSF is so confused, and I might end up meeting some BBBers IRL, and would hate to re-explain, soooooo, starting right now, I am going by my real (slightly confusing) first name of Ryan. Yes, I have a boy's name, but it's easily shortened to the manageable Ry, and apparently, there was a girl on American Idol a few seasons back named Ryan. Apparently, back in the early 70's, it was an extremely rare name, and I guess my mom thought she'd be very avant garde. Unfortunately, it didn't quite pan out the way she'd thought. ;)

The real me,
-Ry,
mom to Emma, s/b 11/04/04
and Max, edd 01/15/06 - it's a BOY!

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

MarisaSF
08-20-2005, 10:04 PM
thank goodness!

Btw, I call her Ry-Ry. We're old buddies from college, now living on opposite coasts. Referring to her Paige was freaking me out. ;)

TraciG
08-20-2005, 10:37 PM
Nice to meet the REAL you, Ry

MarisaSF
08-20-2005, 11:25 PM
BTW, there was a thread several months ago asking for "R" girls' names and I proposed "Ryan" because I like it.

Ryan Starr was the AI contestant. I later heard it was made up. (Gee, really?) But maybe only the "Starr" part was made up.

C99
08-20-2005, 11:26 PM
I don't think it's that weird, if it makes you feel better. I know a girl named Evan (born 2 years ago) and one of my friends on another board has a twin sister also named Ryan.

houseof3boys
08-21-2005, 07:02 AM
Just cracking up at your fake name....silly girl.

I think Ryan is a great name for a girl! But then I am biased with my boy named Ryan too. Riley is a boys name and a girls name as well, so now I can say that I "know" a Ryan that's a girl too. I love it - a name scandal!

DDowning
08-21-2005, 08:51 AM
If it makes you feel better, there's a mom in my guild and mom's club that has the first name of Bradford. Seriously. When I first saw the name in my membership polls, I thought a man had joined the guild. I finally one day got up the gumption to ask her about it and she explained that her parents were in the military and stationed with another couple who had named their daughter the same. They liked the connotation of having a strong name for a girl so much they decided to use it themselves.

amp
08-21-2005, 08:57 AM
Love the name Ryan - It was on our girls name list, but when we had a boy, it became his middle name. Don't be ashamed of your name. Didn't you know there used to be a whole soap named for a girl named Ryan? Ryan's Hope! Anyway, it's a beautiful name and I think you should love it!

ykc
08-21-2005, 10:05 AM
I like both your names!

I had a friend in high school (class of '87) whose name was Ryan. I don't think I ever thought about it as a boy's name, but maybe I just got used to it.

My first name is Chinese (which I still go by, in some circles), and even though it seems obviously female to me, I get an awful lot of mail addressed to Mr....

Splash
08-21-2005, 10:09 AM
Okay... is your fist name actually Chinese? Not like Shi Wong (I know I made that up and I apologize to any chinese people I may offend by my made up name, I do not know any Chinese names) or is your actual name Chinese... as in Chinese Katharine?

Just have to know.

BTW- I like Ryan for a girl. I've had girl Ryans in my classes over the years.

E(stelle) who also goes by her middle name

pb&j
08-21-2005, 10:33 AM
I'm feeling so relieved! I never would have done the Paige thing if I had known I would become this much of an addict. :)

I have run into other female Ryans on occasion, and it's an instant bond. I actually like my name now, though growing up it was quite another story.

-Ry,

ykc
08-21-2005, 09:27 PM
LOL!!!

No, I have a Chinese first name, to go with my Chinese last name. (My kids, though, have Chinese middle names that don't go with their Scandinavian first and last names.) It never occurred to me that I could have the name "Chinese." I'm still laughing....

Melanie
08-22-2005, 12:40 AM
LOL. FWIW, the Ryan from American Idol was actually born "Tiffany!"

MarisaSF
08-22-2005, 12:54 AM
Yes! That's right. I think I saw that on Surreal Life. I was going to say, "Ashley" -- I knew it was girly and didn't fit her at all.
Thanks for reminding me. I really didn't want to google it!

american_mama
08-22-2005, 12:56 AM
Ry, our realtor's name is Douglas and she's a woman.

So, it's Ry, not Ryan? Layers upon layers of explanation!

ribbit1019
08-22-2005, 08:34 AM
Very nice to meet you (again) Ry! Thanks for coming out, I can tell that Marisa is appreciative!!

Christy
Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
Little Peanut due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/K8fum4/.png

pb&j
08-22-2005, 08:45 AM
Oh, it's any variation of Ryan or Ry. :)

-Ry,

octmom
08-22-2005, 09:14 AM
Hee. hee. That's pretty funny. There used to be a woman who posted frequently in Reality Layette who used a different name online. I'm more of a lurker than a poster over there (I just don't have much to contribute there) and I didn't know that her screen name wasn't her real name for a really long time until someone else referenced it in a post.

I really like the name Ryan for a girl. A woman who works in my building has a daughter named Ryann, but pronounced Ryan, not Ry-Ann. I always thought that was a cute name.

Well, it's nice to know your name, since we may actually get to meet in person some day! :)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

babymama
08-22-2005, 12:12 PM
Good to meet you, Ryan.

Lydia
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03 and
One on the way, due 01/03/06