PDA

View Full Version : Do you cry more easily since having kids?

buddyleebaby
08-20-2005, 10:44 PM
Not that I was made of stone beforehand, but since having dd i cry so easily. I cry during the news, during movies, during EVERY episode of a baby story, basicially anytime i see anything that invloves children or pregnant women. Yesterday I was watching Forrest Gump and started bawling when he first saw his son. Then I laugh, because I realize how ridiculous it is for me to be crying. My dh says I must still have pregnancy hormones floating around somewhere...

psophia17
08-20-2005, 11:11 PM
Lol - I have to share :) I have always been a crier...

Until I got pg I could read the Reader's Digest on public transportation and usually keep control of my emotions. Then I got PG and I couldn't handle it anymore...the one time I did try it an old lady asked me if I was alright, and her husband gave me his handkerchief once I'd exhausted my supply of McD's napkins.

When I was heavily pregnant I saw a documentary about circus elephants. Jenny the elephant had been in all sorts of circuses, and was eventually sent to a refuge for retired circus elephants in Kentucky. When she got there, she and an elephant already there both started freaking out. I'd already been crying over the injustices that circus elephants go through, but at that point I bawled like a baby. DH, who had heard me crying quietly for at least half an hour before, came running in when the sobbing started. All I could get out was "elephants never forget."

Now that DS is weaned and my hormones are roughly back to normal, I can once again handle the Reader's Digest. Unfortunately, touching stories about animals, babies, children, well...yes, the Reader's Digest will still push me over the edge. And every time I tear up, DH says, "elephants never forget."

I figure once I hit menopause, I might not cry so much, but I'm not holding my breath...

kensjen
08-20-2005, 11:13 PM
I guess the pregnancy hormones float around forever. I think motherhood is such life changing event, it makes you look at the world differently. I know I can hardly watch the news anymore, there is always a tragic story involving a child and I just can't take it. And I cry at any old commercial that shows a parent and a child. And I don't see that changing anytime soon.

You are not alone!!!! :)

Emmas Mom
08-20-2005, 11:35 PM
OH.MY.GOSH.YES. I was the type who would just never cry. I mean every few months I may have a personal breakdown in the sanctuary of my bedroom but never in public, never in movies, never when watching TV. Now, I can cry at the drop of a hat. Especially when it comes to anything about kids. Seriously, sometimes I think my imagination is way too overactive since having my DD. Last week I was too stressed at work (LONG story) & marched straight into our RVP's office & broke down! Kind of embarassing in retrospect but at least I have a good repore with the guy. Of course, I am pregnant again but ever since my DD I've been like this.

redhookmom
08-21-2005, 08:07 AM
I think they are motherhood hormones because I havn't been pregnant in quite awhile.
I have learned a few tricks to hold back the tears so I am not crying and every kids event I go to!

ETA: I think the reason I cry more easily is because my heart and soul no longer belong to me. They are walking around vulnerable to the whims of the world. I am crying right now!

JElaineB
08-21-2005, 08:38 AM
If you had posted this a couple of days ago I would have voted "I used to but not anymore" but since you posted it today I voted "Yes, absolutely". I thought I had toughened up, but Friday at work (at a college - where I have worked less than a month), a student organization presented a video at new student orientation about the charity they run to help kids with cancer. I got very emotional and started to cry (not just tears but blubbering and crying) and had to go to the bathroom. I never expected that to happen at work. I'm definitely going to support the charity now, though. :)

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

daisymommy
08-21-2005, 09:18 AM
Oh my goodness yes! Even when I'm not preggo I cry at Hallmark comercials, Johnson & Johnson comercials, anything sentimental, pretty music...it's pathetic ;)

icunurse
08-21-2005, 11:36 AM
I am SO glad to see that I am not crazy when I blame having a child on my ability to cry at, oh, just about anything. I have never been a cryer, but now if I see something sad or sentimental....tears all around. And watch out if I'm tired on top of it! I worked part of a night shift and driving home I heard a song on the radio that I've always sung to DS and started to get teared up. Geesh....
Traci
~Connor's Mom 02/2004~
Agency paperwork completed - waiting for #2!