PDA

View Full Version : So have any of our Kindergarteners started school?????

NEVE three BUGS and a BEE
08-21-2005, 10:26 AM
Kindergarteners here don't start till September 8th but Reichen won't be starting till the 20th due to a planned trip to Rhode Island (I have to get use to not getting to just go places when I want to now)...

I know some schools have started in the Country...
If any of them started yet how did your kiddos like it???
How is mommy holding up????

Calmegja2
08-21-2005, 11:59 AM
Wednesday is the big day.

She's excited and nervous, but right now she's kind of mad, because our school has a party the night before school starts, and she will miss her first ballet class because of the timing.

I keep trying to pimp how great it will be to go to the party, but she's not having it. LOL!

I'm okay with it, but sad, too. She's the child that is most like me, and the clingiest. She's the little mama. I can't imagine how much I'll miss her being gone until lunch every day.

Mikesa3
08-21-2005, 12:53 PM
This Wed. is the big day here too. I ordered the First Day Jitters book for my ds from Amazon but now I don't know if it will get here before Wed. I think he will do ok since he has seen his older brother and sisters going off to school but I'm a little nervous.We go Tues. to meet his teacher.
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

jesseandgrace
08-21-2005, 03:28 PM
Wednesday here too, which is so wierd for me because we also always started in September!

I'm glad I am not the only one with a child missing some time, we are off to Aspen the second week of school. My biggest adjustment is going to be not just picking up and going when we want to. He will only miss 3 days, but I'm not sure how to tell the teacher and not make myself look bad. It is for my sisters best friends wedding, so it really is like a family wedding, and Aspen is not exactly a weekend trip, so it can't be avoided, but still... He is pretty excited about starting, I am too, but it is a little strange because when we move back to Boston (Cambridge) next fall he is too young to start the first grade, they won't let him, so it will be the first day of Kindergarten again, so that makes this seem a little like a practice run.

toomanystrollers
08-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Neve,
I thought you were sneaking away to RI all by yourself?? :)

schums
08-22-2005, 10:00 AM
Are you sure he'll have to repeat kindergarden? Did the new school district tell you that? Normally, once a child has started school (anywhere) the new district places them in the appropriate grade based on past acheivment, not the age that local kids start school (hope this makes sense). For example, when we were in Indiana, they had a very early cut off date to start K (June 1), but if you had finished K in Michigan (late cut off date: December 1), you still went into first grade in Indiana even though you might be 6 months younger than the rest of your class.

Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

papal
08-22-2005, 10:43 AM
Just sending out hugs to all the mamas whose kids are going off to KG soon. Don't forget to take pictures and share with us! How bittersweet it is to watch our children grow up.

NEVE three BUGS and a BEE
08-22-2005, 01:11 PM
I am such a wimp and all talk...I say "oh I can use a break" and the second one is offered to me on a silver platter I beg them all to come!!!!

Steve would have to take off the week anyway to watch the kiddos so we decided to have him come up with them- but I still plan on seeing the girlies!!!!!!!!!

since it like 1 1/2 weeks I just can't be away from them all that long I don't think.

I also think my hubby would lick his wounds FOREVER..."you got to go sailing for 7 days so why can't I go ride a motorcycle 135 miles and hour around a race track with Helene's hubby" :)
Mind you he almost killed himself doing just that a few months before I came to this community...

But you ladies still better be coming or I'll come and seek you out!!!

ktdid74
08-22-2005, 08:08 PM
Hi Neve- Brendan started 2 weeks ago (can you believe that!!) We had just moved home to Texas and he started school on August 8th- yes, still the middle of summer! Anyway, he did great, I did the dance of joy as I left him (not in a bad way, just knowing how much he'll love school). He's loved everyday, learned his code for lunch (their account #), goes to his locker to put his stuff away, and insists that we drop him off at the front (God forbid I should come in anymore :) ) His teacher is so sweet and so far I like the school. I just turned in my application to volunteer and even joined the PTA. It's been a perfect experience so far! Good luck to you and Reichen!