PDA

View Full Version : possible kidney infection? still worried

ismommy
08-21-2005, 03:39 PM
Thanks guys so much for all the wishes and info on my first post. Now here is round two. Gunner after perking up a bit yesterday puked two more times. His fever is gone and he is nursing. But he is stil not himself. tday he is either sleeping or screaming. when he woke p this am after 12 hours - he nursed during the night his dipe was dry. he didnt pee until 10 am and screamed when he did. then didnt pee again until 4 again screaming. I dont think he is dehydrated since he is crying real tears but am concerned about his kidneys. He is on amoxicciln for his ear infection.
DH wants to wait and call doctors tomorrow. I am not sure if we should. advice please?
Helene
mommy to Isabella
and Gunner
http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/candle.gif

Rachels
08-21-2005, 03:42 PM
Helene, I would call. That's what they're there for. If he's screaming when he urinates, that sounds like something hurts, and a few of the things that could hurt are things that need attention. UTIs and kidney infections get bad FAST (ask me how I know), and it's not worth putting it off if there's something else he needs.

I'm so sorry. I know you must be really stressed. Poor little guy.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!
(Holy smokes, it's a boy!!!)

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

barbarhow
08-21-2005, 04:59 PM
Helene-I second what Rachel said. It sounds like it hurts when he pees which could be a urinary tract infection. Better to treat it sooner rather than later. Poor babe. Keep us posted okay? And lots of hugs to you Mama-you must be pretty worried.

ismommy
08-21-2005, 05:02 PM
i just read up on uti's and they are treated with amoxicllin which is what he is on. of course i dont know how much he is getting. he just puked on me again! i am so pissed at our peds right now for not oing a urine culture on friday. they said they were going to then idnt. would a uti show in bloodwork?
our peds open at 7am and i am tring to avoid an er trip.
im worried and havent slept and am crying since y'all are being so kind
thank you
Helene
mommy to Isabella
and Gunner

toomanystrollers
08-21-2005, 05:06 PM
do you think it could be a yeast infection?? - side effect of amoxicillin.

HUGS Mr. Gunner!!!

yhtking
08-21-2005, 05:13 PM
>UTIs and kidney infections get bad FAST (ask
>me how I know), and it's not worth putting it off if there's
>something else he needs.

Would you mind telling me about UTI turning into kidney infections? Thanks.

Mommy to Tyler (6-6-3) and baby Hailey (6-4-5)

ykc
08-21-2005, 07:32 PM
So sorry to hear that Gunner is still not feeling well.

If you're really worried, you should call your pediatrician. Period.

That said, if he doesn't have any more fever, he's probably getting better slowly, whether it's an ear infection or a UTI. (For the PP who asked: Urinary tract infections can be anything from a bladder infection to a kidney infection. Bladder infections, untreated, can but do not always progress to kidney infections.) Amoxicillin can be used to treat some but not all UTIs; so it's definitely possible that it's not fully treating a UTI, if that's what he has. No, you can't tell from bloodwork whether he has a UTI.

You're probably fine to wait until morning, but like I said, if you're really worried, call--that's part of your doctor's job.

Hope he--and you--feel better soon!

jec2
08-21-2005, 07:34 PM
helene, i would call too. I hope it is nothing serious. This has got to be stressful. hugs sweetie. lmk if you need anything, ok.

mysweetboy
08-21-2005, 07:44 PM
Helene, I'm so sorry that Gunner is still feeling badly. I hope that if you did call the ped, that something was able to be done for the poor little guy. I'll be thinking about him and you -- I know how worried you must be. And please keep us posted.

Hugs,
Lori
mommy to Charlie, 5/04
and a sweet baby girl due 10/05!

Rachels
08-21-2005, 08:15 PM
Sure. Basically the infection that's in the bladder just migrates up to the kidney. My experience was this (and warning-- it's scary): I had some very vague symptoms of UTI but wasn't sure and wasn't having pain, so I thought I'd just watch it for a day or two and go to the doctor if I needed to. By the second day, the symptoms were gone and I forgot about it. A few days after that, I started having some pain in my back and thought I had pulled a muscle. The pain steadily worsened, and two days later I also started vomiting and running a slight fever. I didn't connect the two at all-- still thought I had hurt my back and also thought I had the flu or something. By that night, my fever was over 104 and I was hallucinating. The next day I was admitted to the trauma ward of a major hospital with my right kidney barely functioning. The pain was simply indescribable by that point. My fever bounced between 104 and 105 for five days, during which time I stayed on a morphine drip. I couldn't lift my head or turn my body without help. I was unconscious most of the time.

I was in the hospital for 8 days, then in bed at home for another week. I lost about twenty pounds. Full recovery took about a year and a half, during which time I also had surgery for kidney stones in the other kidney, which resulted from all the stress that had been placed on it. And I was incredibly susceptible to UTIs and kidney stones for the next five years.

It was SO fast. I can't even describe how frightening and serious it was. The decision to wait a day or two was one of the more dangerous decisions I've ever made, and it cost me a ton in terms of my health and wellness for the next many, many months.

UTIs are treatable, and most cases of pyelonephritis don't get as serious as mine did. But ignoring symptoms of a UTI can get you into very hot water very quickly. I'll always err on the cautious side with that stuff now. It was a very hard-learned lesson. :(

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02
New baby coming in October!
(Holy smokes, it's a boy!!!)

"When you know better, you do better."
Maya Angelou
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_amethyst_36m.gif
Nursed for three years!

NEVE three BUGS and a BEE
08-21-2005, 09:42 PM
i'm pecking one handed or would flip screens and email and went to the bungalow late to drop off furn or would have called...

but the only time i was ever admitted into a hosp was a kidney infection days after returning from our honeymoon...i was so sick and it came on sooooo fast. Dr's are on call for a reason- this is such a reason. if his back seems to give him pain i remember that was a feel i had too...

i wouldn't second guess my gut feeling if i were you-i hope you called. the downside i don't know how they'd put your mind at ease with anything other than going to the er for i suspect they'll want to cover their butts...

yet his wbc was norm you said that is the confusing part. anyone who knows g knows this is not they way he is though...go with your gut!!!!

HannaAddict
08-22-2005, 01:31 AM
I would call my ped immediately. No question about it. I don't understand why you you would wait to call, unless your ped doesn't have an on call doctor? I would not consider waiting since he is in pain and his diaper is dry, two huge warning flags of the possibility of something serious. The antibiotic he is on is a pretty general one and lots of other things could be happening that it doesn't wipe out. Go with your instincts and you know it isn't normal for Gunner to either be screaming or sleeping.

I really hope he is doing better and that you've been able to talk to a ped about this. Hope he feels better and that it is not serious.

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04

kensjen
08-22-2005, 01:45 AM
Rachel, I had a very similar experience, so I really sympathize with you. Anytime I have any pain in my back, or other symptoms I freak out. Yuck, I never want to be that sick again.

And Helene, hope that Gunner is feeling better, I have been thinking of him. Poor little guy, doesn't sound like he feels well. I hope it is something small, so he doesn't worry his mama anymore. Thinking of you.

zuzu
08-22-2005, 09:13 AM
Hope Gunner is feeling better soon. Big hugs to you and the sweet little guy.

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5/03)

ismommy
08-22-2005, 09:23 AM
We went to the peds and I was glad the ped that sees Gunner the most was there. Gunner has lost a little wight and is slightly dehydrated but our ped feels the worst is behind us. I hope so 48 hours of 20 minutes of sleep Gunner wont be the only sick one.
He says it could be a kidney infection but te antiobiotic they are using for his ears is what they would use for that so unless GUnner gets worse he doesnt want to subject him to a cathereter. I agree with his assessement. Its just so hard seeing my super active baby so still but he reminded me it could take a bit for him to be 100%
Thank you again for all the advice and well wishes
Helene
mommy to Isabella
and Gunner

ismommy
08-22-2005, 09:23 AM
We went to the peds and I was glad the ped that sees Gunner the most was there. Gunner has lost a little wight and is slightly dehydrated but our ped feels the worst is behind us. I hope so 48 hours of 20 minutes of sleep Gunner wont be the only sick one.
He says it could be a kidney infection but te antiobiotic they are using for his ears is what they would use for that so unless GUnner gets worse he doesnt want to subject him to a cathereter. I agree with his assessement. Its just so hard seeing my super active baby so still but he reminded me it could take a bit for him to be 100%
Thank you again for all the advice and well wishes
Helene
mommy to Isabella
and Gunner

barbarhow
08-22-2005, 09:59 AM
Helene-so glad that you were reassured by the ped. Hope Gunner is back to his "old" self in no time.
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03, a Red Sox fan
and Anna 5/12/05, my little Yankee fan!

pritchettzoo
08-22-2005, 11:36 AM
I'm so glad he was able to reassure you. I hope you both get some rest today! :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

ribbit1019
08-22-2005, 11:41 AM
I am glad they were able to reassure you a little bit. Hopefully little man is feeling better soon! Try to get some sleep when you can mama!

Christy
Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
Little Peanut due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/K8fum4/.png

brittone2
08-22-2005, 11:51 AM
Well, it is good you got him checked for some reassurance. I hope that he'll be feeling 100% better very soon. I'll be thinking of you and Gunner.