PDA

View Full Version : She won't wave bye-bye

SummerBaby
08-22-2005, 12:58 PM
I've had this nagging worry for a couple months now. DD waved "bye-bye" between 8-11 months. Then she stopped. She sometimes will repeat "bye" when we say it, but she won't wave her hand when we tell her to. She is very social- she says "hi" to everyone we encounter. She points to things like flowers and pictures and says "pree-ee" (we tell her they are pretty). If she wants me to read her book she will hold her book, look at me and say "reeee." She also says "go." So I think she's verbal enough for her age. It's just this waving thing that's getting to me.

Oddly enough an elderly lady waved to her in a restaurant last week and DD kept waving back at her. Is she just being stubborn with me?

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

aliceinwonderland
08-22-2005, 01:00 PM
My son does this, not with waving so much but with other signs he used to know and now he won't do them.

I chalk it up to his stubborn, free-willed temperament, which is, I remind myself, a very good thing :)

ribbit1019
08-22-2005, 01:14 PM
I have to go with Eri on this one. My little one only waves to people that she feels are worthy. i.e. not mommy and daddy, but maybe the woman standing in the next line at the grocery store. LOL

It sounds like she is o.k., since she waves at other times. If you think she is having developement issues call your ped. If only to put your mind at ease. :)

Christy
Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
Little Peanut due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/K8fum4/.png

SummerBaby
08-22-2005, 02:08 PM
LOL! DD is definitely stubborn and free-willed. Just like her mom and dad! Thanks for responding.

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

californiagirl
08-22-2005, 02:12 PM
Mine is particularly fond of waving when the person she's waving at isn't looking or can't see her. Like she used to wait until we got to the car. Apparently she wanted to be *sure* we were leaving... She also picks things up, masters them, and then moves on. She waved for a while and then stopped, and at almost 18 months, she's just now getting into it again. And there's almost nothing she'll do "on command" (she will tell you her name, inaudibly, and sign thank you, and that's it, she won't even necessarily tell you what an animal says if somebody's looking, and that's one of her favorite games ever).

I wouldn't fret about it. It'll come back when she's ready.

SummerBaby
08-22-2005, 02:12 PM
Thanks Christy. That sounds like my daughter- she'll wave at random people, just not when I tell her to. Seems to fit with the rest of her personality, now that I think about it. ;)

Val
Mom to Madeline
7/28/04

lilycat88
08-22-2005, 02:14 PM
We heard for about 4 months from daycare about how Susanna waved to anyone and everyone. When either DH or I were around, NOTHING. Frustrated the living daylights out of me.

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

aliceinwonderland
08-22-2005, 02:55 PM
Yea, same here :)

I think it's funny how we think a child persisiting in doing (or not doing) something against our will is a bad thing "stubborn", etc...

But those are the best qualities in adults, only it becomes "persistant" later...I'm trying hard to remind myself of this. When he proceeds to climb at the BACK of the couch 50 times in a row. Or when i asked him to sign milk (a sign he has known and used since 9 months) and he smiles and refuses. :)

erosenst
08-22-2005, 03:29 PM
Abby went through a long period of saying/waving bye-bye only when she could no longer see the person, or they were really far away. There is a logic to that thought pattern! Also, her signs diminish as she's picking up another skill, and then resurface once those are mastered. I've read that that is very common - they'll focus on verbal skills for a while, then physical, then tactile, etc.

Still frustrating! :)