PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever use Geek Squad at Best Buy?

knaidel
08-23-2005, 07:17 AM
DH spent the first day of the school year yesterday with major computer issues. Something really weird happened with his computer, abd he thinks he needs a professional to fix it. He has a feeling that it's not going to be a half-hour job. There's someone in our neighborhood who starts at $40 an hour, but I was under the impression that the Geek Squad is a bit less ($25 or $30). DH guesstimates that it might be a 6 or 8 hour job, so it might make a difference. Does anyone have any experience with them? Thanks!

Tori_s mom
08-23-2005, 08:26 AM
We used them once to install a firewire card for my iPod. They were great and very quick, and everything has worked fine since. HTH!

Tasha

tiapam
08-23-2005, 10:39 AM
If you decide you don't want to use them, I might know someone who can help you. Not sure what he would charge though. Just email me if you don't like your other options.

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004

tny915
08-23-2005, 11:15 AM
My BIL used them to set up a wireless network in his home. Not sure what he paid, but I know he was very pleased with their work.

Zansu
08-24-2005, 03:40 PM
I used them to transfer data and load programs onto a new machine, and I was very satisfied with their work. The prices are set for many services, so your DH could call them and get a quote over the phone.

bunnisa
08-25-2005, 10:31 AM
I'll be the lone dissenter and say we have had nothing but terrible experiences with Best Buy in general. The last experience (with The Geek Squad) was so bad that we will never go there again.

Situation: computer problem - it completely dies. DH knows it's not a, b or c (DH is in IT). He says it's likely the motherboard, and will they please check that. He emphatically tells them it's not these other things, and just to check the mb.

We go to pick it up. They hand us a bill for $60 and say, "Well, we tested it and it's not A B or C."

DH says, "I told you it wasn't, and to check the MB".

The response, "Oh, we don't have the ability to check the MB".

We got a manager and the whole deal and they would not refund our money. We will never, ever buy anything from them again. (it was just the last straw in a string of bad experiences)

Bethany
mom to one and one on the way!
http://lilypie.com/days/060226/0/8/1/-6/.png
"And children are always a good thing, devoutly to be wished for and fiercely to be fought for."
-J. Torres

saschalicks
08-25-2005, 11:16 AM
I've used them and have no complaints. We really need a new computer but that is a whole other rant.

houseof3boys
08-25-2005, 02:05 PM
We used the same type of service at Circuit City and were pretty pleased. I think it was $40 for them to test and fix it. Our problems was a blown power unit (or whatever it is called) so there was nooooo way we would have figured it out.

mamamayi
08-25-2005, 10:35 PM
I'll keep you from being the lone dissenter. I've always had problems with them and have used them more than one time. My mom also had major problems with them and finally took her computer to someone else and paid to have it fixed even though it was still covered under the warrantly she bought from Best Buy. Due to warranties with Best Buy, I've probably taken computers to them 25-30 times. I've never had the problem fixed the first time, and had two computer replaced by the "No Lemon" policy. I bought my last computer from another place and have had no problems so far.

lizamann
08-26-2005, 04:36 PM
We hired the Geek Squad, but not through Best Buy. Our guy was great and got the job done, and refunded some money for something (sorry I don't remember the details.)