PDA

View Full Version : OT: What do you like to eat that is easy and healthy?

KBecks
08-23-2005, 10:06 AM
After many, many frozen custard stand meals when I was pregnant, I'm trying to eat healthier and lose some weight.

I understand cutting out the bad stuff, and pretty much know what I shouldn't eat, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what to put in my kitchen TO eat. I have a few basics (i.e. fruit), but there's not much variety.

I've been eating the fruit I like - apples, plums, peaches, watermelon

I've never been a cold veggie person, and don't think that will change.

I've started eating yogurt and granola for breakfast sometimes

Looking for ideas for easy, not much prep breakfasts, lunches and snacks -- also for beverages -- thanks! (I have dinners under control).

psophia17
08-23-2005, 10:22 AM
Lunch Ideas:

If you like ramen noodles, you can try this one out:

Boil water and add a couple of handfuls of frozen veggies (I like broccoli, or chopped spinach). Add some chili flakes if you like them. Boil until almost tender, and add 1/2 the block of noodles. When noodles are tender, drain off most of the liquid and add 1/4-1/2 of the seasoning packet, or your own seasoning, to taste.

It takes no time at all, is pretty tasty, and is cheap.

Another idea is a rice cake (plain or savory) topped with a spoonful of salsa and sliced avocado. It's like guac and chips, but way, way better for you. 1/4 of an avocado is enough, but I usually end up eating the whole thing.

HTH!

Jenn98
08-23-2005, 10:28 AM
Here are some of my fav quick things to eat:

Fruit with yogurt. Either bananas sliced into vanilla yogurt or peaches dipped in plain yogurt. yummy!

Banana and cottage cheese in the blender. I know it sounds gross, but it really is yummy - and I hate cottage cheese! Take a banana and a cup of cottage cheese and a few ice cubes and blend it all up. It's like a banana smoothie with tons of protien.

make your own biscuit sandwiches. It sounds more complicated than it really is, but take an english muffin and toast it. Microwave a scrambled egg for about 45 seconds and add sliced cheese. I usually also add a soy sausage patty (Morningstar are my fav) for some more protien. Super fast and yummy.

HTH
jenn

mattiew
08-23-2005, 10:51 AM
I've needed protein lately so my snacks have been: nuts, Carnation Breakfast drinks (chocolate flavor tastes like nestle quick), and Laughing Cow cheese on crackers.

Looking forward to reading everyone else's ideas!
Carrie

cmdunn1972
08-23-2005, 10:59 AM
I've found tortillas (the whole wheat/low-carb kind) to be a healthy staple. If you like deli meat or grilled chicken, those can be thrown in with some cheese for an easy wrap. Or grill some chicken and cheese on the George Foreman grill for a 5-minute, easy quesadilla.

Sugar-free jello (maybe with some sugar-free whipped cream like Land-o-Lakes because it's actually cream) is an easy snack if you've just got the munchies. Or, if you prefer bite-sized lowfat cheese like Laughing Cow or string cheese. (I'm a big cheese person, can't you tell?) :)

Another idea is getting those bags of frozen, unsweetened mixed fruit. Open up the bag, cover with Splenda, and let thaw for about an hour (or until it's juiced up). I like the mixed berries versions, but you can get whatever looks good. For a real treat, whip up a bag of frozen fruit with 1 c. yogurt, 1/2 c. skim milk, 1/2 c. Splenda, and 1 scoop protein powder in a blender for a yogurt smoothie. Top with sugar-free whipped cream. (Yum!)

HTH!

(Edited because I forgot to put a space up there somewhere... Goofy reason, I know.)

pb&j
08-23-2005, 11:29 AM
My favorite afternoon snack is fruit and cheese. I get the already cubed cheese, and am very strict about my portion of cheese (8 cubes = 1 portion!!), as I am a desperate cheese addict. I'll have my 8 cheese cubes (or 1 mini babybel) with some grapes, or half an apple, and it gets my sweet craving and my cheese craving all in one shot, and actually is pretty filling and quite healthy.

-Ry,
mom to Emma, s/b 11/04/04
and Max, edd 01/15/06 - it's a BOY!

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)

brittone2
08-23-2005, 12:21 PM
I think the key is just having lots of healthy snacks on hand and don't bring in processed food if you can help it.

What we snack on:

Veggies (I know you don't like them)

Fruit

Sometimes plain yogurt over a banana topped w/ a smidge of maple syrup. Much less sugar than regular store bought flavored yogurt even w/ my maple syrup. Sometimes I top it w/ blueberries, or unsweetened coconut...whatever floats your boat. Sort of a healthy banana split.

Whole grain/trans fat free crackers w/ hummus

olives-I only like the $$$ gourmet kind of course ;)

nuts-small serving

cheese-smallish serving

smoothies-frozen fruit+yogurt or cottage cheese; a little sweetener if you must. Can freeze these in popscicle molds too.

frozen bananas chopped to corn-size, throw in food processor w/ vanilla, pinch of salt, dollop of honey. Sometimes I pulse in a few nuts or peanut butter. Sort of like soft ice cream/

I find it helpful to balance a little protein and carbs together. I pretty much snack all day at times but almost everything we have in our house is reasonably healthy.

DO you need more meal ideas or snacks? Let me know and I'll think about what we tend to do...