PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have this pillow for acid reflux in adults?

deborah_r
08-23-2005, 01:00 PM
My husband woke us both up at 11:30 last night choking and gasping for breath. The only way he could describe it later was that a ball of stomach acid had come up in his esophogus or something and was making it so he couldn't breath. It was one of the scarier things I've witnessed in my life. I didn't know why he was gasping for air and he couldn't tell me. His chest hurts bad today.

He knows he needs to change his diet and not eat after 5 or 6pm. Which is almost impossible for us, but we'll see what we can do about that. He also wants to try this pillow, which has some testimonials from people who had the exact same symptoms he had last night:

http://www.medslant.com/medslant-testimonials.html

Is anyone familiar with this product?

Thanks in advance!

lilycat88
08-23-2005, 01:56 PM
I used something similar when I was pregnant and had horrible acid reflux/heartburn problems. I think it did help somewhat. I think I got mine at Bed Bath and Beyond for much less than this one. It had a cover but I'm sure it wasn't hypoallergenic and it didn't have the "case" to carry it in.

Jamelin
Mom to Susanna born 6/29/2004

supercalifragilous
08-23-2005, 04:32 PM
I bought an identical one at Linens N'Things with a coupon.

http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1763190

I use this if I eat too late at night and wake up with reflux and it helps immensely. I use it to elevate my upper body so I put my head pillow on top of it, though.

HTH!

Marisa6826
08-24-2005, 01:24 AM
any wedge shaped pillow might help. i bought a spendy medical one, and ended up loving my cheapo one from target much more - i found it by the college dorm stuff. i know that once i hit a certain point, i was sleeping almost upright and it didn't make any difference. i switched from otc zantac to rx nexium and it made a world of difference. has he tried prevacid?

i used to wake up almost nightly gagging on acid, and even have aspirated it a couple times. it is truly a horrible experience. he should really get himself to a gastroenterologist to be properly evaluated.

-m

jesseandgrace
08-24-2005, 10:40 AM
Please send him to his doctor today. He is probably fine, but he needs this checked. My father died of a massive heart attack, and during the autopsy they found scar tissue indicating that he had likely suffered a few minor heart attacks that could have been warning signs to get him on medication. His wife said that he thought it was just really bad attacks of heartburn, acid reflux. Obviously this could easily be totally different, but I know she wishes she had pushed that issue with him and sent him to the doctor. We just never knew that you could have a minor heart attack and then walk around the next day. I hope your dh just had a bad case of acid reflux, but I just think better to get him in there and have his doctor evaluate it. I'm sorry if this post is a little scary, I don't mean it to be.