PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Las Vegas info/recommendations

kthomp
08-23-2005, 03:03 PM
DH and I are going to be taking a child-free vacation next year and we were thinking about Vegas. Neither of us has been before, so we have no idea where to start.

I'm looking for any info- recommendations on where to stay, whats the best time of year, good books to read for info, etc. Any experiences or help would be appreciated!

TIA!

Momof3Labs
08-23-2005, 03:40 PM
Las Vegas is big and spread out, and that's only if you stay on the strip! Plan on lots of outdoor walking. Summers are VERY hot, so I'd avoid them. I was there once in December and once in February, and it was too chilly to use the pools both times (and downright windy in December). Early spring or very late fall seems to be a nice time to visit weather-wise.

I really like the Bally's/Paris/Bellagio area. Convenient to many of things you'd want to do in both directions, and on the newer end of the strip. Bally's is basic, no real theming, but has larger rooms and adjoins Paris. Paris has gorgeous rooms, and is a bit more expensive than Bally's. Bellagio is a real splurge. I've never seen the rooms, but can imagine that they must be pretty darn nice. The Venetian looks quite nice, too.

I'd stay far, far away from the older end of the strip (Stratosphere, Circus Circus and others) as the hotels are quite old and you can't easily walk to the nicer hotels to see the attractions (you really need to cab or bus it, which can be slow going at night). My brother and SIL tried to stay at a hotel down there (against my advice) and immediately demanding a transfer. They ended up at MGM, which is fine but not great (not as good of a location either).

lisa56308
08-23-2005, 04:09 PM
You might check out the book "The Unofficial Guide to Las Vegas" The 2006 version is due out the end of this month. We went in June and August and it was blazing hot. We stayed at the Aladdin both times and really like it there. It's right next to Paris and across the street from the Bellagio. It has a very nice shopping complex attached also. We are looking into maybe going back in November. The weather should be much more enjoyable then.
Lisa
Jacob 6/95
Tyler 10/03

kensjen
08-23-2005, 04:14 PM
Hey Kerri!

I think you guys will really like Vegas. Lots to do, whether you gamble or not.

Lori is right, summer is HOT! (at least May-Sept) We've been in March and April and that is nice. And the fall would be good too. It does get really windy in the winter, so even if it is warm, it can still get really chilly if a windstorm pops up.

I have stayed at most of the hotels there, or DH has (he goes there a lot for work)...so LMK if you have any specific questions about a hotel. We love Mandalay Bay, but it isn't within walking distance of some of the other hotels...which isn't a big deal, there are lots of transportation options. And I totally agree with Lori...I wouldn't stay at the "old" end of the strip (even though it is usually cheaper!) and the Bellagio area is great...Caesar's, too.

Send me an email with any more questions, I'd be happy to help. And we actually are going there on Friday (LOL! You asked at the right time!!) and if you want I can pick you up some info, brochures, whatever. Just LMK!!

SpaceGal
08-23-2005, 04:27 PM
We just went to Las Vegas just last week and August is the worst time to go but what can you do when it's for an in-laws wedding (phooey). Hehehehe. Anyways, like PP have said the Caesar's, Bellagio, Paris, Bally's area is the best! The Forum shops at Caesar's and The Desert Passage have great shops. Not sure if you care but I did find these really cute boutique kids stores in both these places....really cute stuff and brands that I've heard other people mention on the boards (Petunia Picklebottoms, Catamini, Miniman...etc) some decent deals on the sales rack. Anywho, I digress. Those hotels are so central and near most attractions. We stayed at the Flamingo, I'm not really a fan of it except that it's central as well, but it is the oldest hotel/resort on the strip. I've stayed at the Aladdin previously and that is a really nice place. Bally's is the most affordable with a great location.

We saw the new Wynn hotel and it's really beautiful. It's nearer to the older end of the strip...but if you want some new that's the newest. My hubby wanted to stayd there to try out golfing on their greens but no good deals. However, I hear they just dropped prices on their rooms.

I would defnitely suggest going maybe in late September early October and probably the Spring...Late March until May about for nothing to sweltering. You can probably get the best deals if you book a package deal and stay during the weekday rather than over a weekend. If you look in the papers sometimes you can find killer deals so check your paper, if you are lucky, you live in a city that has drop dead deals to Vegas.

kensjen
08-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Yes, it is the worst time to go, and we always go in August due to DH's work. Ugh. I am hoping it isn't 112 this year! But we'll be inside a lot and my dad lives there so we'll be doing the family thing (and we'll have a babysitter!! LOL) But I wish his meeting was just a month or two later...

And I wanted to agree, the Forum shoppes at Caesars are a must...there are some fun entertainment type things there, as well as a cool shopping area. And the dessert passage, too. You can find some super cute stuff for Ally! :)

Momof3Labs
08-23-2005, 08:59 PM
The Forum shoppes used to have a yummy gelato cart. Not sure if it is still there, but the most Italian tasting gelato I've had since my trip to Rome!

kensjen
08-23-2005, 09:40 PM
Yes! They had it last time we were there! Yumm! Thanks for reminding me!

There was also a place at the Aladdin...in the desert passage...that had yummy gelato...:)

kthomp
08-23-2005, 09:42 PM
Jen- I sent you an e-mail, let me know if you don't get it. :-)

pixelprincess
08-24-2005, 12:42 AM
Hi Kerri, I went to Vegas in March and stayed at one of the older hotels (Riviera) at the end of the strip. I was with a big group of people and have to say it was the worst ever hotel experience-kid you not!! It is worth paying the extra $$ to stay on the strip. I have stayed with some friends I helped at a trade show at the Flamingo which isn't as ritzy as the others but it wasn't too bad and the location was great.

Food- a subject close to my heart. here are a couple of my favorite places-
Lotus of Siam (inexpensive and you'd need to drive/cab it to get to it)
953 E Sahara Ave Ste A5
Tel: (702) 735-3033

Mon Ami Gabi (make a reservation)
Inside Paris hotel
3655 Las Vegas Blvd. S
Phone 702-944-4224

Another place I'd love to check out sometime is Rosemary's. The Fodor's site is a great resource.

ACTIVITIES
Freemont Street Experience- http://www.vegasexperience.com/
First Friday
Fountains at Bellagio- http://www.bellagio.com/pages/attrac_highfountain_noflash.asp
(not to miss!! also the Bellagio lobby is wonderful with Chihuly's installations)
Stratosphere Tower- http://www.stratospherehotel.com/stratosphere_tower.html
Free Things TO DO in Vegas!-http://www.vegas.com/attractions/freeattractions.html

There are tons of shows but one of my faves is Cirque du Soleil. We saw “Mystere� at Treasure Island- http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/CirqueDuSoleil/en/showstickets/mystere/intro/intro.htm Another one I'd like to see sometime is O at Bellagio. You need to get tix in advance for the shows.

HTH