PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever sell a car through Craigslist?

phirey
08-24-2005, 06:13 AM
Or any other big-ticket item? We have a car for sale through Auto Trader but I listed it on Craigslist last night on a whim. I've already got two local interested buyers. Any warnings?

In a related question, a co-worker also is interested but wants us to do a "payment plan." I'd love to help her out but that scares me a little. Any advice there?

schums
08-24-2005, 08:47 AM
Can't help you on the Craigslist thing - never sold anything there (have bought stuff tho). But I absolutely would NOT do a payment plan for anyone on a car. I've known people who've tried this with cars and houses and 90% of the time it goes down in flames. At least in a house you can kick them out. I think it'd be harder to get your car back if she decided to stop paying. Or what if the car gets wrecked, and she doesn't want to pay anymore, since she doesn't have the car? KWIM? And would she be paying interest? Otherwise you're out some $$ that you could have made with the proceeds from the car. And if she's going to pay interest, why not just get a bank loan and pay you the full amount? Maybe you could try it if you had a lawyer draw up a contract that was pretty iron-clad, and you don't mind losing this person as a friend if it goes south, and you don't work too closely with her.

HTH,
Sarah
Mom to Alex (3/2002) and Catherine (8/2003)

tiapam
08-24-2005, 08:57 AM
I agree with PP, I would NOT do the payment plan. Absolutely not.

-Pam

Charlotte born October 2004

ctmom
08-24-2005, 09:12 AM
I don't think there is anything wrong with selling a car through Craigslist, it would be the same as listing it in a local newspaper, but I would try to meet them in a neutral location, not you house, for safety reasons. I WOULD NOT use a "payment plan" with a co-worker, you are just asking for trouble...

NEVE three BUGS and a BEE
08-24-2005, 09:28 AM
honestly you can walk up there and they eval a car and tell you without negotiations what they will give you for it WITHOUT buying/looking/being interested in a car.

We sold an Accord this way and figured we didn't lose money and didn't have ads, didn't have strangers coming ot the house etc...
I have shared this with several who actually got more than they thought and several who got less...but it is effortless IF you live near one...

No strings...just go they eval and hand you a paper...they don't beg you to do it or not do it...it is very cut and dry...

I WOULD NEVER do a payment plan!!!!!
If someone is in that situation sadly they must have some finaace problems I mean they it is not hard to secure a bank loan. It can ruin your friendship/work relationship etc... I would avoid it at all cost. MOre friendships are broken over lending money...

mamahill
08-24-2005, 10:58 AM
We listed a car through craigslist and yahoo autos, but our 2 inquiries and one buyer came from craigslist. When we sold a motorcycle a year later, we did it through craiglist. You don't pay a fee through craigslist and you can repost as much as you like. Oh, and just like anywhere else, just have them pay with a cashier's check. I've found most buyers on craigslist to be wonderful.

I agree with the PPs - no payment plan. You aren't a bank.

mom_hanna
08-24-2005, 10:36 PM
My brother sold a car in one day through craigslist - no problems at all. IMO, definitely do not do a payment plan!

pixelprincess
08-24-2005, 11:03 PM
We bought a BMW on Craigs List. It worked out great! The seller was willing to have us have the car checked by an auto mechanic of our choice. I have a friend that has sold two cars on Craigs List. A thumbs up from me!

There are scammers on the list too. They now include warnings with all emails to observe caution.

ps. I wouldn't do a payment plan with someone I don't know off the list for sure.

essnce629
08-25-2005, 04:21 AM
I listed my mom's old '91 Toyota Corolla on Craigslist a few months ago and it sold within 24 hours! It's great because it's free and you can post pictures as well. We said cash or money order only. We had several inquiries within 2 hours of listing it. Gotta love Craigslist!!!

***Latia
Conner 8/19/03
http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/a/aug2003angel
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif 2 years & counting! http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/9870.gif

R2sweetboys
08-25-2005, 12:46 PM
I've never used Craigslist for this purpose but it does sound like a great place to sell your car. I agree w/ a PP that you should only take cash or MO(and make sure it's legit before handing over the car)
I also agree w/ PPs about not doing a payment plan. If she wants this, she can do a payment plan with a bank. If she can't secure a loan then you have no way of knowing if she will be responsible enough to pay you. The only way I'd consider this is if she would pay you in full BEFORE you give her the car. But then, you'd be waiting however long it takes for her to come up with all the money.

I'd make sure that your DH is there whenever someone comes to look at the car for safety reasons. I'm not overly paranoid or anything but it's taking a risk to have anyone you don't know come to your home. You could even agree to meet them somewhere(a police station parking lot would be safe!) instead of letting them come to your house. Good luck, I hope you sell it quickly.

~Leslie

SAHM to...
Ryan 8/14/00
Matthew 2/14/03