PDA

View Full Version : iPod accessory question (because I am an electronics dork)

sntm
08-25-2005, 02:19 AM
This iTrip thing that transmits to the radio, does it require something else to make it work? Is it a good choice to use in the car or at home? Our stereo and CDs are upstairs, but we have radios downstairs. And I broke the tape adaptor for the car this morning.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_sapphire_24m.gif[/img][/url]
Breastfeeding 2 years & counting

billysmommy
08-25-2005, 05:31 AM
Hi Shannon,
We have the iTrip to use with our (actually DH's) iPod and it works great. It doesn't need anything else to make it work. You just plug it into the iPod, same place where the headphones go and put your radio on the station it says (I can't remember off the top of my head) and you're all set to listen to it :)
I have no idea how it works, it didn't really make sense to me but we love it :)

pb&j
08-25-2005, 07:27 AM
Shannon -

I have the iTrip, and I use it more successfully at home than in the car. It depends on having an open FM frequency, and when you're hurtling down I-81 at 75 mph, that open frequency might not stay open very long. On a regular (non-mini) iPod, you can change the freq on the fly, but it's definitely not easy while you're driving. Sound quality can vary, especially depending on how "open" your frequency really is. I don't mind a little hiss, or some loss in the upper registers every now and again, but it drives DH absolutely crazy.

A friend of mine got a "thingy" that plugs into the headphone jack, and goes right in to the car stereo. It was only about $30 at Crutchfield (her DH installed it, but they'll do it for you for a small fee), the sound quality is great, and you don't have to do the frequency dance.

I have the portable iPod speakers (iMotion, I think) that I use at home, while traveling, and occasionally at work - now that's great sound! They are pricey, though....

-Ry,
mom to Emma, s/b 11/04/04
and Max, edd 01/15/06 - it's a BOY!

http://lilypie.com/days/060115/3/25/1/-5/.png[/img] ([img)