PDA

View Full Version : Q. re: voting and points - what makes you vote for someone?

KarenNYC
08-25-2005, 08:13 AM
Just curious as I see many posters with votes and points and many without. I was wondering why someone chooses to "vote" for someone and what it actually means as I've never done it myself! Anyway - it was more a curiosity question than anything.

ribbit1019
08-25-2005, 08:21 AM
It is usually a pat on the back, a compliment for someone.

If you appreciate their kind words, or advice they have given was particularly helpful, then you can rate them positively. There are two points added with a positive rating and text as to why. One point added with positive rating with no text.

Neutral gets 0 points I believe also. But I could be wrong because I've never seen neutral.

Likewise if they solicit or are hurtful, you can rate them negatively. Not a lot of negative points get passed around here though. ;)

Hope that helps!
Christy
Maddy born 06/09/04
http://lilypie.com/baby2/040609/3/4/0/-5/.png
Little Peanut due 03/02/06
http://bd.lilypie.com/K8fum4/.png

bcky2
08-25-2005, 08:22 AM
i vote for someone when they either give me really good advice, support, or sometimes when they make me laugh just when i needed to :) some people i have voted for i have because not only do they give me real good advice i have also seen them give others really good advice. i think it is just another way to show people that you are thankful for their help, advice, support and friendship. great question :7

COElizabeth
08-25-2005, 09:17 AM
Every once in a while I see something especially nice or helpful and then give a positive rating as a small way of thanking the poster. I should add, though, that there are many, many times I don't do it, because I forget that I haven't already rated the person or just don't think to do it at the time. I couldn't give enough stars to thank all the great people here!

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
and Charlotte, 11-04-04

amp
08-25-2005, 09:27 AM
Well, generally I vote for people who are consistenly around here, helping others, giving input, experience and the like. If someone new posts something I see as especially helpful, then I also give them props for that. I know it can often look like a "friendship" thing, but for me, it's really about who is always supportive, helpful, kind, etc. And I've given points a lot!

houseof3boys
08-25-2005, 09:33 AM
Sometimes I see how much care and thought someone puts into a post for someone (or me) and I just feel moved to "rate" them and hopefully put a smile on their face.

Momof3Labs
08-25-2005, 09:46 AM
I normally do it as a special "thank you" or pat on the back (sometimes as a hug when it is rough around here), but admit that I don't do it nearly as often as I should!

ETA: I don't look at it as votes, but rather a message that can be read by the person at any time. You never know when someone is having a bad day - those little "love notes" can be a pick-me-up that's there without them needing to ask for it.

calebsmama03
08-25-2005, 09:52 AM
That's a nice way of thinking about it. I've honestly never even thought about it. I think I checked some box when I joined so I don't have "rating" on my profile and haven't even thought about ranking much at all since there was a huge rash of (I don't like you so I"m giving you a negative ranking" going on last year...
Lynne
Mommy to C 3/03
http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_emerald_18m.gif[/img][/url]
And Miss Purple, 5/05

psophia17
08-25-2005, 09:58 AM
I do it when I feel like someone has really taken time to give of themselves, and have also rated people when I discover that they have something in common with me. Also, I've noticed (and participated) lots of times when there is drama around a member of the boards for saying something without thinking about it first. Positive ratings help make the poster feel less stupid when backlash to insensitive comments happens.

I often read others' ratings - it makes me happy.

hez
08-25-2005, 10:05 AM
That's how I think of 'em too. I keep email pats-on-the-back at work for the same reason-- if I'm having a bad day, I re-read the ratings here or emails I've saved to remind myself that occasionally I do things right :)

And I like leaving them for others since I know how it makes me feel. I'm not *always* good at it, but I try.

HannaAddict
08-25-2005, 01:41 PM
I don't think anyone ever voted for me until I was flamed after replying to a WWYD? post with what I would do! I was respectful to the original poster but for some reason it set her off. Suddenly I had votes! And several private email messages of support. It was a nice feeling, especially since I'd never been flamed before and had no idea I was going to get flamed! I need to vote for some folks myself that have been helpful, etc. I guess I need a reminder, like for eBay feedback or something.

Kimberly
DS 3/18/04