PDA

View Full Version : What do you do...

buddyleebaby
08-25-2005, 04:02 PM
...when your dh keeps calling you into the room to show you something that you already know your dc does?

In my case, I am TRYING to take a shower and my dh calls me out of the shower to show me that d laughs when you open up the little flap on her clutch cube to show the panda.

So do you smile and act amazed?
Or do you say "Yes I know, she's been doing it for two weeks.

In my case, I acted amazed because I know HE was amazed, but I was really tempted to say "I KNOW", because this is about the fourth thing he's had to show me since he's been home, and he's only been home an hour or so.

I feel bad for him, I never realized how much he misses.

ETC: typos, but there are probably more.

deborah_r
08-25-2005, 04:11 PM
Depends on my mood. Sometimes I play along and pretend I've never seen it before, but usually I point out that I spend almost every waking moment with the child and am pretty aware of everything he can do and likes to do! Whenever I am surprisd that DS can do something, and DH has already seen it, he always says "Yeah, I saw him do that a week ago" so I don't feel compelled to pretend for him!

amp
08-25-2005, 04:52 PM
I am laughing at your post because that happens all the time around here! I handle it differently each time, depending on my mood, but when I say, "Oh yeah, he does that all the time", I do feel kinda bad for him to have missed it all those times.

Lots of times I'll say, "Isn't that cool?! he did that the other day....blah blah, blah". That way he feels like it was still cool and knows that he's repeating that cool behavior.

psophia17
08-25-2005, 05:07 PM
It depends on the situation - if I'm not trying to get something done, I usually launch into a "wow what an amazing child we have" routine, but if I'm doing something else (like taking a shower, making dinner, paying bills), I don't even go - I yell "I'm busy, I'll be there as soon as I'm done." DH has finally caught on not to bug me when I'm obviously busy.

MarisaSF
08-25-2005, 07:15 PM
LOL! This is one of those threads that I read and think, "I'm so glad there are other people going through exactly what I am!"

Now that I'm a SAHM, I wonder how much the daycare teachers were keeping from me last year. I would have been so sad if they said she had hit a major milestone before I got to see it.

DH and I go through the same dance that y'all described, and I don't have much more to add, but have you done this:

-You see DC do something amazing one week.
-DH sees it the next week so you act all surprised.
-THEN DH talks to his best friend who has a kid your DC's age. Turns out *that* kid just did the same amazing thing yesterday.
-DH is all jealous because he wanted his kid to "win."
-So you have to decide whether to backtrack and say "I actually saw her do it last week" to make him feel better or just roll your eyes over DH's copetitive parenting.

muskiesusan
08-25-2005, 09:51 PM
It depends if I am bitter that DH has been travelling or not!

Most the time I am neutral and just say "isn't that cute" or something. Doesn't make him feel bad that he has missed this stuff and I'm not lying.

I do think he realizes that I humor him with most this stuff. He was sooo happy when he discovered Alex's first tooth before me. You would have thought he had brought peace to the Middle East or something.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01
& Alex 04/04

kaylinsmommy2
08-25-2005, 09:53 PM
LOL! That's funny. DH is also very into competative parenting! :) It's kind of a loose-loose situation in that case, right? Luckily, so far, DH always has some other milestone that he can "win" over the other guy, so they usually have a tie.
Caroline
Kaylin 6/5/04