PDA

View Full Version : Sewers: easy lined curtain patterns?

Mommy_Again
08-26-2005, 12:57 PM
I bought my new sewing machine. I bought my fabric. I even bought a Vogue pattern. But I pulled it out this morning to get started and I am totally lost reading the pattern. I have never sewn before, except to tinker around on the machine, but I really want to make curtains for my dining room- very simple, just two separate panels, and I will probably attach ribbon at the top in a few places to tie around rosettes. Does anyone have a link to easy-to-understand, lined curtain instructions?

TIA.

mamato1
08-26-2005, 01:12 PM
I don't have any links for you. But, I can tell you as a fairly experienced sewer that Vogue patterns are really tough. You might check out McCalls or Butterick instead. I find them to be much more user-friendly.

Chris

Mama to Brendan (aka Boomer) 01/04

http://lilypie.com/baby2/040116/0/1/3/-6/.png

bostonsmama
08-26-2005, 01:22 PM
It would probably be easier if I could talk you through the pattern. It's such a nice & invaluable resource to have directions plus a little sewing expertise.

Get the instructions out. They will tell you how to cut out the patterns, where to place them (against the bias, with it...and this is important b/c you need to know where the material will stretch so you don't get deformities/odd shapes when you use the finished product). Then, you pin all the templates to the fabric and cut. The pieces are numbered, so you know exactly what to put together... most patterns even have dotted lines where you're supposed to sew...making it easy for you.

If you have any questions about stitching types and techniques, please email me. My DH and I have made so many things in this house, even a beautiful set of lined balloon swag curtains.

Larissa
who is still trying to give birth so she can have more to say