PDA

View Full Version : Weaning from swing for nighttime sleep?

ajrivers
08-26-2005, 07:43 PM
Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas that worked for them. DS is 2 months old and actually has been sleeping wonderfully for about 3 weeks. Most nights we have a 5-6 hour chunk of sleep followed by another 3 straight BUT these are usually with him in the Ocean Wonders Cradle swing. The longest he has slept horizontally in his PNP bassinette is 3 hours and it takes a couple times of getting him drowsy before he'll actually stay asleep in it.

I KNOW I need to get him out of there eventually, but gosh it's hard to rationalize when we both sleep so well. I go back to work in about a month so I thought now would be a good time to start trying to make the switch.

Thanks so much in advance as everyone is always so helpful! Amy

pritchettzoo
08-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Gracie slept in the Ocean Wonders swing until she was 4 months old. She would not sleep anywhere horizontally unless she was being held. I read in one book (No Cry Sleep Solution maybe??) that some people are successful turning the swing off after the baby is good and asleep. That never worked for us though. Then after they are used to sleeping without the motion, you put them in it standing still and let them get used to that, then transition to horizontal non-moving. My DD just up and decided at 4 months that she was NOT going in the swing. She screamed bloody murder. So we took her out, laid her in the co-sleeper (which up to that point had been a huge bedside table and cat bed) and she went right to sleep. So honestly I wouldn't worry about it yet. Especially if you're about to have a huge transition with you going back to work.

Once you figure this out, he'll come up with some new sleep craziness! ;) Good luck!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (Sept '03) and Eli (July '05)

TraciG
08-27-2005, 09:53 AM
I SWEAR by that swing !! Sydney used to only nap there or in my arms, I remember in the middle of the night sleeping on the couch & Sydney in that same swing !!!!!!!!!! At 51/2 months I had to do the Ferber method in her crib, good luck !!!!!

ajrivers
08-27-2005, 10:21 AM
>I SWEAR by that swing !! Sydney used to only nap there or in
>my arms, I remember in the middle of the night sleeping on the
>couch & Sydney in that same swing !!!!!!!!!! At 51/2 months I
>had to do the Ferber method in her crib, good luck !!!!!

The couch and I have become VERY good friends too due to DS's love of this swing!!

I looked up what Dr. Karp of "Happiest Baby on the Block" had to say after I posted this last night and he too said to try the "slow the swing down" method so we'll see if that works or not.

Thanks for all of the help everyone. Amy