PDA

View Full Version : OSLO NORWAY - anyone been

NEVE three BUGS and a BEE
08-27-2005, 11:08 AM
Hubby was approached at work about possibly taking a gig there "for a few months", they said "there 3 weeks and home 3 weeks for a few months"...

If it happens and if we could swing family going I wondered if during the winter months we'd feel cramped and couped up.

Preliminary stages of planning but I suspect if he said "yes" decisions would have to be made quickly.

Has anyone experienced it enough to have any thoughts.
I spent the night planning it in my head.

As a child we went to Bergen Norway (and possibly Oslo though I can't say I remember any specifics of it)...I LOVED Bergen...

OF course my mind drifts back to my single days in Washington DC during the World Cup when my girlfriend and hooked up with the Norwegian Team and partied our derriers off...somehow I don't think I will be standing on tables singing the way we did with kiddos at arms length away- but who knows!!!!

The beauty of the BBB is I am certain someone can tell me about Oslo!!!

bostonsmama
08-27-2005, 11:25 AM
My best girlfriend in the whole world lives in Norway now with her Norwegian husband and son. She's American, but she lives, works and gave birth in Norway...and has been doing so for the past 4 years!! I just saw her in DC this July when she was showing off her babe.

So, what would you like to know? There is good public transportation, comprehensive socialized health care, nice shops in the big city. Weather? Crime? Scenery? Possibly children's attractions and kid-friendly activities? Culture?

Let me know, she's no more than an email away.

I think in general 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off is really hard on the body when it comes to travel and jet lag. Having lived in Germany for 3 years and coming home 2-3 times a year, that was ENOUGH havoc on the body for me for a lifetime. Adjusting was just God-awful....but more so going to Germany than coming back to the US. Your poor DH will be pooped!

Just my 2 cents...plus, we'd miss you being gone, whether you just stayed there 3 weeks, or for a longer stint. :(

Larissa
who is still trying to give birth so she can have more to say

08-27-2005, 11:41 AM
For I think the 3 weeks on and 3 off was to keep him happy and come home, but we thought we'd propose flying family and then staying there for 2 months or 3 or what it takes to finish it.
Yet we have two weeks booked in KeyWest for Christmas so that is my only conflict.

YOu are so right I didn't even factor in the jetlag if he went without us (which I just couldn't let happen I don't think).
I feared that we would feel "snowed in" during the next few months which I think is my biggest worry.

I am glad to hear they have good public transportation for that is what I was telling Steve I wouldn't want to drive over there in those conditions with my cargo of kiddos...but I also know I don't want to stay at home...

g-mama
08-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Neve,

I know nothing about Norway but wondered what you'll do about Reichen's school. We're not there yet since my oldest will still be in preschool this year, but is that a consideration?

Kristen
Paolo 11-00
Benjamin 8-03
and a *THIRD BOY* coming in December '05

08-27-2005, 01:31 PM
and if turns out to be something that we do...he is stopped a lot and told of "gigs" I'm still waiting for the one that was supposed to take us to NYC-TOGETHER, so not certain how much this is going to happen. Steve thinks to think it can since he is being told others are not feeling comfortable taking taking it.

But if it comes down to the decision I will meet with the school and see what they can give me as advice.

A few things there might be a school there...
I can homeschool him for Kindergarten (I have what is expected and his assessment pretty much demonstrated he has it all)...and once home in the 2-3 months put him back in school..

Not totally certain what my school options are...but being in Kindergarten and not 7 yet I have some options in the State according to my friends who do homeschool. I acutally have several homeschooling mamas who are saying "do it" and say they will help me pull it off.

That is a concern of mine...but at this stage and age and how quickly he picks up things it is not a huge obstacle for me...if next year I think it would be too big to tackle.

His martial arts and throwing that off upsets me though...he is a yellow belt now and a 9 kyu (???) and really loves it and that worries me...

HGraceMom
08-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Oh gosh - What an opportunity! As a total outsider, with no knowledge of Oslo, but from the frigid north, so a good idea of the snow, I'd say go for it. Kids LOVE the snow - it's more of a hassle for mom than anyone, IMO...

Like you mentioned above, you have one child in kinder. to consider - a few years from now, it would mean interrupting 3 or 4 varied school schedules - it won't be any easier for the next 18 or so years!

My cousin & her DH moved to Australia with an auto co. for 3 years - took their newborn & 2yo to live - she's expecting her 3rd to be born there. They have 2 years down & one to go, and are loving it. (this is the same cousin who lived in Tunisia with the peace corps, so is a bit of an adventurer from the start.)

I think you could really make it an educational / cultural experience - how many people get the chance?!

just 2 cents...

ykc
08-27-2005, 10:00 PM
Don't have anything useful to say, except that I went to Norway for my honeymoon, so have special spot for it in my heart. (Husband is of mostly Norwegian descent.)

I can see why the dark days of winter might worry you, but I'm willing to bet that there are plenty of things for you to do with your kids. Most Europeans are much more out and about--without cars--than Americans are, on a daily basis.

I'm sure Reichen will do fine for kindergarten (BTW did you choose Spanish or teacher?) even if you go. And maybe you can find a martial arts school in Oslo that will take him for a few months. My brother played hockey in France when we lived there, and that was/is a lot less popular than martial arts, but it was for a whole year.

I can see how it might be a big hassle to arrange, but what a wonderful opportunity too! A tough decision!

P.S. I loved Bergen too--but it was summer.

lukkykatt
08-27-2005, 10:15 PM
Hi Neve! I so owe you a hello - I haven't been around much.

I've only flown through Oslo (and got stopped by airport security both coming and going, and this was pre 9/11). But I did spend some time in Stavanger in December. It was totally great, and I was not cooped up at all. That particular winter it was actually warmer in Norway than it was here. I walked into town every day and everyone was very nice to me. I also went to other areas within a few hours driving distance away.

I also got some great Norwegian "santas" (I don't know what the correct word would be) and other Christmas ornaments, and sweaters...

I would totally do it if I had the chance - even with school to consider. It is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of thing and you can work around the school.

08-28-2005, 08:31 PM
IF indeed they really meant it I think we'd go in a heart beat. Amazing we went to a picnic today where a couple spent a month outside of Oslo in October and couldn't say enough great things about it...

08-28-2005, 09:27 PM
It's a farm!!!!! with cottages...I love love love this one...honestly if Steve doesn't get this now I think I will cry my eyes out!!!!!

like Tristan says "I NEEEEEEEEEEED IT"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.opplevgodenorge.no/dispatcher?marketplaceId=426580&siteNodeId=563684&languageId=2

american_mama
08-29-2005, 12:21 AM
Neve:

I think living abroad is always great, but you'd have to decide if the cost, effort, and disruption is worth it for such a short period of time. I studied abroad in Stockholm, Sweden as a college student and travled around Scandinavia, including a short trip to Oslo, and winter is a factor because of the darkness. The sun will not come up until 9 or 10 am and it will set at 3 or 4 pm, and even when it is out, it will be at a low angle and not very bright. It does make you want to stay inside. This will be true for most of November, all of December and January. It will be cold starting in September and spring will not come until May. DH was watching the World Track Championships held in Helsinki two weeks ago, and everyone was wearing long sleeves, most wearing jackets, and a few wearing scarves. I have photos from my year abroad taken in May when the grass is just starting to come up. I don't think this is atypical.

Are you still thinking that it might be possible to move to Germany or Denmark in a few years and live there for a year or more? If so, are you going to want to do a Nowegian fling for a few months and then still have the stamina for a longer move later? If not, then save your stamina for the longer move. DH is traveling to... actually, it's Norway, but not Oslo... for a conference in a few weeks and I elected to not go with him with the girls. Like you, we've had a ton of changes in our lives the last 9 months (a birth, an international move, a killer new job with long hours, buying a house and another move) and I'm a bit short on cash and energy to make the trip.

I was in Oslo for a few days in December almost 12 years ago, obviously pre-children. It's a small city (only about 500,000 people). Our major planned activity was the Munch Museum, but it was closed. We did visit a Kon Tiki and Viking Ship Museum (Thor Heyedahl was Norwegian) and took the scenic train into a fjord from Flam to Myrdal. I think most people visit Norway for the scenery and outdoor activities; I don't think there are tons of tourist attractions. When I was researching my husband's trip and trying to decide what to do, I noticed that a lot of the attractions close in mid AUgust or September when "the season" ends. This is true in Sweden too, where we visited in late August two years ago and found some tourist stuff closed.

In terms of school, you might find an international school or English school that Reichen could attend while there. Norwegians speak excellent English.

In terms of travel, remember that Norway is in Scandinavia. That means 1) you are more removed from the rest of Europe and traveling just to northern Europe by car or even train will take an overnight plus probably half a day. This is not centrally located Germany. Unless you go to Sweden, you'll probably decide the time factor means you fly. Second, think of Norway as being shaped like California (long and thin) including the fairly big distances between places. Oslo to Bergen takes about 4 hours to drive, I think.

I loved Sweden, which gives me a soft spot for all Scandinavian countries. The cultures and languages are similar. There is a lot of national pride, everything seems to work well, people like Americans and tend to be pleased if you're enthusiastic and interested in their "little" country. But they are very introverted people and you may make little headway making friends in such a short period of time. This includes little gestures of friendship, like being invited to a coworker's house for dinner or getting to know your neighbors.

I believe Norway has a very high percentage of women in the workforce, so I think you will meet few kids at home the same age as Reichen or Karsh. There will probably be some parents at home with babies or older children (many of whom would probably be Tristan's age) because I think parents get about a year off with pay at the birth of a child, and almost all mothers and many fathers take this time. So you may find yourself isolated. What is Steve's sense of how hard the assignment would be, how much European travel would be involved, and the working style of the Oslo office? That will determine how much time he has for you. Guaranteed he will have to work harder at first because he'll have to do his job PLUS adapt to a new environment, and that takes effort.

Anyway, like I said, for me it would be about cost, my energy level, and what I was giving up to go. Living abroad again sounds like it's a big dream of yours, so I'd try to pursue it, but maybe when you can stay somewhere longer.

billysmommy
08-29-2005, 07:20 AM
Neve,
Everytime I read one of your posts I always think you are such a neat mama :) I would love to be one of your kiddos :)

08-29-2005, 01:18 PM
is going to happen...my goal is to make it till T is 5 and I can travel some without feeling like I have an uncontrollable Tristan running around. Before we knew of baby B we thought next Spring and then once B arrived I thought "5 year out"...but as time goes on and I am drooling at the bit to get there I realize T will be 5 in 2 1/2 years:):):)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I really hope to be there by 3 years from now for 5 years.

If this works out it would only be about 2 months, so I don't even think of it as competeing energy wise etc... when we were going to Ukraine we thought we might be there 6 weeks.

I also would plan to stay put some I think and don't see me wanting to really travel everywhere or anywhere except Norway.

Anyway I might just be dreaming Steve shared this with me and I took the bull by the horns...

But I do understand what you are saying and it is exactly the kind of thing I seeked an answer to so I thank you soooooo much!!!!!

08-29-2005, 01:20 PM
I think I am a dreamer when I am given the slightest hint of something I can do...

My friend said the other day "too bad you have 4 kids or you could join me in Germany next summer with my 2 while they do a German course and we stay with friends"...

I'm like "we're there!!!!"

She said "but we are staying with friends"
and I'm like "who cares we'll camp!!!!!"

I'm a nut...and a dreamer...but I am also stubborn as a mule and when my mind is one something (like this) I live and breath it!!! :)
And I think "my poor kiddos stuck with me and my gypsy lifestyle"...

But thank you for your words :)

billysmommy
08-29-2005, 09:41 PM
I've always wanted to travel to all different countries. My mom's dad was a pilot for TWA (way back when) and so my mom and her sister got to travel for free until they turned 18 or got married whichever came first. They tell us about how they used to go to Switzerland for the weekend to go skiing or to Paris to buy a prom dress etc.

DH spent a year in Ecuador between high school and college. I always wanted to study abroad but at my college and in my major it couldn't happen without adding another full year on to my program :(

My cousin is just starting her sophomore year in college and just got back from a summer interning/working in Sri Lanka. She is back in school for the fall semester and then is taking her spring semester in a "traveling type school" They have professors that travel with a group of kids and are going to be spending about 6 weeks in each place. The first is outside Sri Lanka, I don't remember the second and the third is in South Africa. Then she is going to spend next summer traveling around South Africa. Her parents are going to go over for a few weeks and my mom and a friend are going to go another couple weeks. My dad hasn't flown in close to 25 years after an almost crash and is thinking of making an exception to go over there and go on a safari.

I would love to be traveling the world right now but with our business, now just isn't the time. Hopefully in 8-10 years we will be off exploring all these places. For now I am just living vicariously through everyone else. I loved reading all your adventures in the Ukraine with your boys :)

brittone2
08-29-2005, 09:58 PM
Let me preface this by saying I know NOTHING about Oslo ;)

However, you seem excited about this, and since it is for a limited time I think you should take advantage of the opportunity if it appeals to you (after doing lots of research, which I'm sure you are already doing!). School, schmool ;) Life is what matters. Of course, I'm a mama who plans to eventually homeschool ;)

Here's the thing. I think that it will be stressful, especially with several kids and trying to plan the logistics probably won't be that easy. *BUT* you are not the average person, Neve. You traveled to the Ukraine, very pregnant, to double the size of your family, and it was an awesome experience for you. Most of us wouldn't have the guts to do that. If Steve is back and forth, it is still going to be quite stressful (I would think) juggling the homefront. It will be stressful on Steve going back and forth and missing his family. So...I don't think you staying here equates to it being an easy time regardless. I say go for it.

What are the chances it will go longer than what they are telling you now? That would be a big factor for me. I know sometimes in companies gigs can get drawn out for much longer than originally anticipated. Would you be okay with that if you moved and were homeschooling for example? Would you be okay with that if you stayed and Steve was going back and forth and it got drawn out?

In any case, it sounds like a great opportunity. I was reading the boards the other night when you posted this and the post brought a huge smile to my face. DH "knows" a little bit about many people on the BBB since I've been around for a while, and he and I followed your adoption journey at home. In any case, when he asked me why I was smiling, I told him "because Neve lives life the way it was meant to be lived." You have tremendous courage and a zest for life that never ceases to amaze me. Can you rub some of that off on me, pretty please?? ;) Knowing what I know of you, I firmly conclude that you'll look back on your adventures one day and know that you gave life 110% each and every day :)